Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

On 8/26/2020 at 12:47 PM, KJHburg said:

That Shelby store was one of the first locations in the state but maybe too  much competition in the area.  

It's been a while since I have been in "downtown" Shelby, but other than Walmart, what would their competition be?  I can't think it is that much!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

LIdl also sells a good amount of international products and "non-steak and potato" type of things that I just don't see moving off the shelves in volume in Shelby. 

I found Lidl stores to be strange.  They have some basics, hardly any national brands and then a center section of miscellaneous goods of all sorts.  I tried to like them but I dont. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I found Lidl stores to be strange.  They have some basics, hardly any national brands and then a center section of miscellaneous goods of all sorts.  I tried to like them but I dont. 

Lidl is more like Trader Joe's and Aldi where all products are private label. The actual company behind many of the products is a national food conglomerate, but Lidl markets the products under their own name.

It is a different concept for America though and I think they have a tough road to success. They've been struggling and I don't think they'll see the same success as Aldi. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 1

I've noticed that Aldi has slowly decreased the amount of "international" AKA German products that the store sells. The first time I was ever in an Aldi was in New York around 2002 or so, and I remember they used to have almost an entire section devoted to German products (I remember several different varieties of Museli, which I am a big fan of...everytime I go to Hong Kong or Europe I bring bags and bags and bags of packaged Muesli home). They still have some, but not as much as much as they used to. Granted, I understand the products weren't entirely popular and Aldi simply wasn't as big in the US in 2002 as they are no. They simply had to change and "Americanize" to become more appealing. 

There was also a time when Aldi didn't accept credit cards...it was only Debit Cards and cash. Don't know when that changed. 

• Like 2

in other NC grocery news one city in North Carolina has an urban downtown Publix and that is Raleigh.  Opening today ground floor of a 12 story apartment building called Peace at Smoky Hollow on the edge of downtown @Tyree Ricardo thinks it not downtown I do.  anywho does anyone know any updates on our uptown Publix is it still on the back burner?

9958fdad214b2ff5efed62e9a9d3d75d.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jjwilli said:

Would it be too much to ask for an urban Wegmans in South End? I don’t want to have to drive to Ballantyne when they do finally build in the QC.

The folks in the know will say that Wegman’s only builds giant, suburban stores. But, Publix built its finest urban store in Columbia SC so anything is possible.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2020 at 1:47 PM, jjwilli said:

Would it be too much to ask for an urban Wegmans in South End? I don’t want to have to drive to Ballantyne when they do finally build in the QC.

they have one in Brooklyn but their forte in suburban locations but they have some stores with parking decks but not many mainly due to their size around 100K and suburban locations are just bigger and provide ample parking. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, kermit said:

yea, saw that gone in Southend last week. People weren't smart enough for that. Publix does have much better distancing at the registers than the three Teeters I have been in.

And you actually see team members wiping things down at Publix. I still think HT seems to be cleaning LESS since the pandemic hit. 

• Like 1

Food Lion is still hanging onto one-way aisles, but as others mentioned the poor compliance makes it pretty meaningless. At least at my local store mask compliance has been good, and they are still wiping down carts at the entrance. I generally plan my trips when I know the store will be quieter, in any event.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 7:28 PM, KJHburg said:

they have one in Brooklyn but their forte in suburban locations but they have some stores with parking decks but not many mainly due to their size around 100K and suburban locations are just bigger and provide ample parking. 

One of the biggest allures of Wegmans is the huge size and huge selection.  While an urban store would probably do fine, it's not what people are expecting with the full size stores and I couldn't see any scenario where an urban one would be built in CLT area in the next 10 years.  They would need to get their foot in the door with a giant one in Ballantyne first and expand to some select areas from there.   It's always been a suburban store.  If they couldn't snag one in the Colony redevelopment, I can't see one north of Fairview  for quite a while (not counting U-City). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

One of the biggest allures of Wegmans is the huge size and huge selection.  While an urban store would probably do fine, it's not what people are expecting with the full size stores and I couldn't see any scenario where an urban one would be built in CLT area in the next 10 years.  They would need to get their foot in the door with a giant one in Ballantyne first and expand to some select areas from there.   It's always been a suburban store.  If they couldn't snag one in the Colony redevelopment, I can't see one north of Fairview  for quite a while (not counting U-City). 

I am envisioning A multistory Wegmans with fresh food on floor 1 and floor two has everything else. Split it 40k/40k, parking deck on top and then 20 floors of Apartments.  

8 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I am envisioning A multistory Wegmans with fresh food on floor 1 and floor two has everything else. Split it 40k/40k, parking deck on top and then 20 floors of Apartments.  

Just not their cup of tea as grocery stores on 2 levels require super size elevators or trolley escalators both very expensive.  They are not your typical grocery store of 50K sq ft they average 100K sq ft and even in the densely populated DC area all their stores are suburban in nature.  On the other hand Harris Teeters and Publix have many urban format stores especially the former in the DC area.  I do think Wegmans will announce new stores in the Charlotte area especially since they are building a new warehouse north of Richmond (NC stores currently served out of PA) and I would envision 5-6 stores in this market too like Raleigh Durham.  2 open now in the Triangle 2 more under construction and 2 more yet to start. 

Here is Wegmans most urban store in Brooklyn in the Navy Yard redevelopment there.  even there the store is one level as it is on the ground floor of a huge older warehouse or office building. 

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/10/31/20941846/wegmans-brooklyn-navy-yard-admirals-row-photo-essay

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3