National Theatre

Shakman

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the facade should be lit at night... would go great with the new marquee.

They are gradually doing exterior finish work, so maybe an outdoor lighting package is in the works. Albeit, the cities lighting ordinance can be quite finicky and is open to interpretation.

Those flood lights work wonders. I hope Velvet burns to the ground. Perhaps with the owner in deep waters, the place would shut down and be put to better use.

Who is the Architect for the National, I use to know but, it has been a while since I have last spoke with them.

2562219330_f367544d03.jpg

2562221282_25dbd1f096.jpg

Ahh, source! Another set of your excellent photos here of the National -- also, the other pair you posted on RCW. Many thanks.

What a major change this renovation has done toward the restoration of a lively Broad Street! It's a beautiful building which until recently had a tree or two on the curb preventing a view of it. I'm all for greenery, but the tree(s) masking the saved facade of the next-door Colonial Theater should also be removed. Both sides of Broad between 7th and 8th streets could be planted with low-rise greenery and potted flowers. The crepe myrtes in the median are perfect and should remain, IMO.

There is no protection from the elements at the National box office that I can detect. Same with the Richmond Coliseum.

The pix from source show clearly that the temporary pump connected to the venue's pipes has been removed. It was where the striped traffic barrels are in the photo. Also, the nearby hump on the street has been leveled.

There appears to be considerable construction at the site of GIBSON's on the corner. Opening of the restaurant may be as soon as early July.

• 3 weeks later...

As I wrote in the Dining out thread, GIBSON's at The National is nearing completion but will not open until sometime in August at earliest. I believe the restaurant will accommodate more than 150 on its two levels.

Maybe GIBSON'S opening will coincide with move-in at the Robinson/Mehrige Federal Court House across Broad.

Meanwhile, a block away and in view of the National, the stagehouse wall is rising at The Carpenter Theatre and the entire Richmond CenterStage complex appears to be on schedule for its Fall '09 opening. The Hilton Garden Inn and Condos in the rehabilitated Miller & Rhoads building is hoping to open by December of this year. All of these projects are within 2 blocks of one another.

• 3 weeks later...

:lol: I went to see the last hour or so of the Weird Al Yankovic show at The National. The man is funny. And it was quite a production with an incredible light and rear projection show. The place was packed to the gills, but toward the end of the evening as people began to leave, I found a seat in the balcony for the last 10 minutes.

A night or two later, as we were driving up Broad about 7 o'clock, there was a huge line wrapping from the National box office down Broad and around 8th street waiting to get in to see Ann Di Franco.

The place seems to be doing very well. I was pleased to see that an act curtain and valance have been hung at the proscenium line. There is still work going on in the building -- most of it having to do with GIBSON's restaurant.

Next Wednesday, July 23rd, The National will veer somewhat from its usual programming. Idina Menzel, the Broadway star of WICKED will take the stage offering a concert of her own songs.

Idina originated the role of the green witch in the smash hit WICKED. A replacement cast is still filling the Gershwin Theatre here in NYCity. Ms Menzel won a Tony for her performance. She also starred in the movie version of RENT. You might have seen her in the recent Tony presentation when the original cast of RENT performed an ensemble number from that show.

Her short summer tour is booked into much larger venues than the National. Richmonders will be lucky to see and hear her perform.

Another departure for The National is that reserved seating in the orchestra as well as the balcony will be available for this concert.

Check http://www.thenationalva.com for details. Click "Schedule."

As far as I can determine, except for a pre-show interview in Style Weekly, the dynamic Broadway star Idina Mendez slipped in and out of town without so much as a review of her concert at The National.

If anyone was at the concert, please share your opinions. Also, how does reserved seating work for you on the orchestra level of the Nat? The seating configuration will be used by Richmond Symphony Kicked Backed series beginning in the Fall.

• 1 month later...

It was announced prior to opening that The Nat would book about 100 musical groups in its first year of operation. I haven't counted, but suspect it will surpass that figure by its first anniversary in February.

So, what happens at the National on dark nights?

Well, The Richmond Symphony Kicked Back series, for one thing. The orchestra will inaugerate the series on Wednesday, September 24th with a repeat on Sunday, September 28th and three other new programs in upcoming months.. There will be seating on the orchestra level as well as in the balcony. Season ticket prices for 4 concerts are $64, $54 for seniors and $36 for children.

My guess is that the management rents out the house when they have nothing scheduled. I wonder if other groups are booking events into the venue?

http://www.thenationalva.com

• 4 weeks later...

Gibson's Grill

2932650174_8bed03e7da.jpg

Gibson's Grill interior

2931790951_e2f1136549.jpg

Ahhh, source! You're always first with pix. :):good:

Somewhere behind what we see here is a grand staircase leading to a much larger dining area beneath the theatre (also served by an elevator.)

They are still awaiting final approval from license agencies as well as final interior design work.

I would have preferred the name GIBSON's without the word "Grill" following it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has Gibson's ever opened? If not doew anyone know when it will open?

Majors, I'll snoop around and see if I can get a definitive answer. I hope it' will be open by Thanksgiving when I'll be in town. I plan on seeing the Jason Mraz concert on Friday, Nov. 28th and would like to eat at Gibson's Grill.

Majors, I'll snoop around and see if I can get a definitive answer. I hope it' will be open by Thanksgiving when I'll be in town. I plan on seeing the Jason Mraz concert on Friday, Nov. 28th and would like to eat at Gibson's Grill.

I do know that they have yet to open.

Archived