National Theatre

Shakman

Has Gibson's ever opened? If not does anyone know when it will open?

Majors, I have not been able to pin down a definite opening date for Gibson's but have heard from several sources that opening is "imminent."

I'm playing it safe and betting my quarter that it will be in operation by New Year's Eve. But we may be surprised by an earlier debut of the long-awaited restaurant. :)

If anyone hears anything, please let us know.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Burt. Surely it will be open by early March when I make my yearly trip for the CAA tournament. The Oct posts above made it sound like it was imminent then, oh well. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

If Gibson's isn't ready by March (and I'm sure it will have been opened for some time by then), PIE, the new upscale Pizza/Italian restaurant on the ground level of Berry Burk at 6th and Grace may be up and running. In fact, there may be a couple of other new dining options in Miller & Rhoads by March.

Come on Burt, stop teasing us. You've got to start naming names.

For starters, jb, The Great American Grill within The Hilton Garden Inn hopefully will be up and running by the CAA Tourny in early March. Plans for a couple of eateries, one on the fancy side and the other a more casual type, are being discussed for the Broad and Grace corners of 6th Street in the M&R condos, but no names or time schedules have been released.

So, at minimum, by Tournament Time there should be three new dining options within walking distance of The Coliseum: Gibson's in The National, Pie in Berry Burk and Great American Grill in Hilton Garden Inn. Perhaps there will be an announcement of yet another. :dontknow:

I and some friends were planning on attending the Jason Mraz concert at the Nat on Friday, Nov. 28th during my visit to Richmond. I called the box office after being confused by the website http://www.thenationalva.com and was told that both of Jason's performances on 11/26 and 11/28 are completely sold out.

Mraz is from suburban Mechanicsville, so that probably explains his popularity in Richmond.

The National has booked its first comedy show ever. Lisa Lampanelli, "The Loveable Queen of Mean" takes the stage at 8pm on Friday, January 23rd. Tickets are $37.75 and go on sale today.

http://www.thenationalva.com

She is really funny. Get ready for plenty of racial jokes... and I do not mean the ones on the surface.

I and some friends were planning on attending the Jason Mraz concert at the Nat on Friday, Nov. 28th during my visit to Richmond. I called the box office after being confused by the website http://www.thenationalva.com and was told that both of Jason's performances on 11/26 and 11/28 are completely sold out.

Mraz is from suburban Mechanicsville, so that probably explains his popularity in Richmond.

Burt, I have his first album, and I liked a song from his second, but his third is totally lost on me. I should listen to today's music more. I hope you enjoy.

Oh and Dec 9, 2003, I was in Mechanicsville listening to his "The Remedy" when we had that last big earthquake that I didn't know about until I came home and turned on the news.

Burt any time in your schedule for me?

Burt, I have his first album, and I liked a song from his second, but his third is totally lost on me. I should listen to today's music more. I hope you enjoy.

Oh and Dec 9, 2003, I was in Mechanicsville listening to his "The Remedy" when we had that last big earthquake that I didn't know about until I came home and turned on the news.

Burt any time in your schedule for me?

Cam, every time I come down for a visit relatives and friends have a way of planning just about every minute. How about meeting me Sunday Nov. 30th at 11am at The Tobacco Company? I'll take you to brunch. But I have to be somewhere by 2:45pm. Let me know if you can make it.

I wonder how well the Richmond Symphony's Kicked Back Classic concerts are doing at The National? About four times during the orchestra's 2008/2009 season they lease the theatre and present two concerts -- one on Thursday and the other on Sunday.

I've read that they are very pleased with the accoustics but have not heard about attendance figures.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Peterson, house manager and Scott Corwin, architect with Johannas Design treated me to a full-scale tour of the National on Monday. It has to be one of the finest venues of its kind in the Country. The previous week had seen three complete sell-outs and customers were able to sample the soft opening of GIBSON'S GRILL (see info in Dining-Out thread.)

There are niches and nooks in the old theatre which amaze even those who think they know their way around the building. Offices that once housed theatrical agents along the 6th Street frontage are now luxurious quarters for entertainers. Among the amenities is a hot tub large enough to accommodate a dozen.

A gigantic motor-operated grid can fly in and out from the roof of the stage house and be hung with banners, curtains, screens, lights and other scenic paraphanalia. The group known as YES recently utilized this feature to its fullest.

The 32-foot deep stage floor has been raised about 24 inches and treated with a layer that is almost vibration-free allowing musicians to hear themselves and other players.

Smoking is not allowed within public areas of the structure, but there is a courtyard off the right side (facing the stage) of the orchestra level where customers may puff away and enjoy drinks from a bar. About five additional bars are situated within the theatre and in adjoining lobby areas. There is also a kitchen with pizza ovens from which foods may be ordered.

Two boxes on either side of the auditorium as well as the loge accommodate big spenders who pay upward of $5000 per year to lounge in comfortable seats (some at small tables and in banquettes) for all events. In addition, members have access to a pair of private rooms, one of which has a bar and TV screens. The other was formerly a space where children could be left with attendants while parents enjoyed entertainment in the old vaudeville theatre. This room with its original paintings of toys and animals is a quiet space.

Permanent general admission seating for almost 400 is available in the balcony and, for some concerts temporary seating is arranged on the otherwise bare and sloped orchestra floor. Most youngsters prefer to stand and move about while listening to their idols.

Capacity is capped at 1,500 although two or three hundred more could fit into the space.

Sound and lighting are absolutely top flight and sightlines are excellent from all areas of the hall. Some artistically arranged baffling around the decorative dome above the auditorium assures excelent acoustics.

Bill Reid, Dave Peterson, Brad Wells and others among the staff at The National have put Richmond way forward on the music map with this fantastic venue. Scott Corwin and the group at Johannas Design revitalized the building with imagination, impeccable taste and dedication while retaining the original building's classic lines.

• 2 weeks later...

First off: Let me correct something in my posting immediately above. The former theatrical agents' offices referred to in the second paragraph front on 7th street. I failed to mention that there is also a row of former agents' offices fronting Broad Street on the top level under the sloping eaves and to my knowledge they have not been converted to other uses.

Now! About GIBSON'S GRILL;

Johnny and Katrina Giavos officially opened GIBSON'S GRILL about two weeks ago and the couple are often on hand to greet and host patrons. There seems to be no shortage of the latter. With the opening recently of Richmond's new Federal Court House directly across from The National, lawyers and other jurisprudence types are filling the convenient spot daily for lunch. Concert-goers and night people keep the place hopping 'til 2am.

The attractive lower level bar is called Seven Below and its bar stools have been staked out by regulars.

Deveron Timberlake of Style Weekly describes the menu thusly: "grinders and sliders, hummus and burgers, minipizzas and big salads, steaks and crab cakes -- a full gamut of better-than-pub fare at moderate prices with a trendy drink menu to match." She adds that portions are gigantic.

Artist Ed Trask has decorated the walls with some of his mural-style paintings.

Soon there will be a Sunday Bloody Sunday brunch offered; meanwhile, GIBSON'S is open 7-days from lunch (except Saturdays) 'til last call.

Arrangements are in the works to allow purchase of concert tickets and early entry into the adjoining National. An elevator operates three levels between the sub-terrainian rathskeller and the theatre balcony.

GIBSON'S GRILL

700 East Broad Street (in the National Theater building)

Tel. 804/644-2637

Capacity: About 150.

Here's a story from the current Style Weekly about The National.

The writer delights in neon once again lighting up a corner of drab Broad Street which in my youth was illuminated with flickering electric signs for long stretches. I have been told that the city no longer allows flashing electric signs because some officials consider them a distraction to motorists.

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/Audiences/dirmo...F28EC3057EA1071

Melissa Ruggieri's column in today's RTD discusses "good" things that happened in the music scene last year and a large portion of her report is about The National.

It's interesting to note that while operators of the music hall anticipated presenting about 100 concerts in its first year, so far, with a month or two to go before celebrating its first anniversary, the venue has attracted 155 concerts.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-174208/161842/

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the performance schedules at The National vis a vis The Norva there are some striking similiarities as well as differences. For example, the Norva posts 26 bookings between now and March 12th while the Nat has 21 bookings in that time frame. Of those numbers only five concerts will play both venues. Further, Richmond is getting the more pricey performers topping out at $40 for Morrissey. Also, a couple of name comedy acts are booked into the Nat as seated attractions while none are listed on the Norva schedule. Lisa Lampanelli comes into The Nat on Jan. 23rd at $37.50 and Tracy Morgan (who got a lot of attention at The Golden Globe Awards Ceremony) is booked into the venue March 14th at $25

The Richmond Symphony has two Kicked-Back Concert dates at The Nat between now and mid March.

See http://www.thenationalva.com for performance schedules (click Norva at the bottom of the home page to compare bookings.)

• 4 weeks later...

Take a look at the line-up at The National:

http://www.thenationalva.com

Note that comic Tracy Morgan has had to re-book his appearance at The National to Saturday, April 11th. He has been asked to host Saturday Night Live on the date originally scheduled (Saturday, March 14th.)

Tickets purchased for the March date will be honored on April 11th.

I bet he'll sell-out The Nat!

Archived