National Theatre

Shakman

The oft postponed Lady Gaga who originally was booked at Toad's Place, then moved to the Nat, then postponed again and moved to yet another venue is still listed in the Nat's schedule for an appearance at The Landmark Theatre for September 28th. I read somewhere she was postponed once again until December 28th.

Can anyone verify this? If it's true, I'm sure the National will want to readjust its schedule.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CORRECTION: September 28th is the correct date for Lady Gaga. Her appearance was shifted from Sept. 24th to Sept. 28th. My old ears mis-heard Melissa Ruggieri on her june 10th Weekend video when she announced that once again the diva had been postponed. I thought she said December, but I went back and listened again and September 28th is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's something to look forward to at The National on Saturday, July 25th at 8PM:

SYMPHONIC FLOYD

The Machine

The greatest songs of Pink Floyd

with a 40-piece orchestra featuring members of The Richmond Symphony

And an Interstellar Light Show

AND... It's being filmed for a PBS Television Special

Tickets: $45 for Reserved Orchestra Seats; $30 for Reserved Balcony Seats; $25 for Standing Room

Book early.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE BRITISH INVASION on July 13th will also be filmed for the PBS TV Special.

Tickets: $25

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, another show being filmed at The National for the PBS Special:

BEST OF THE BEATLES

Friday, August 7th at 8PM

Front Orchestra Seats: $75, includes autographed picture plus meet and greet with Pete Best (didn't he precede Ringo)?

Rear Orchestra: $32.50

Balcony Seats: $25

Standing Room: $20

Lest anyone is confused about "seating" at National concerts, the venue has permanent seating only in the balcony. Chairs are manually placed on the slight slope of the lower level for certain events such as those listed in the posting above.

Go to http://www.thenationalva.com, click "Tour" at top of home page, then click the thumbnail photos to see what I'm talking about.

• 5 weeks later...

After the wedding reception I attended on July 25th, I rushed off to The National and arrived about 10PM in hopes of seeing the 40-piece orchestra accompanying the musicians honoring Pink Floyd. There was a prominent "Sold Out" sign at the box office, but I coersed my way in by paying cash and was allowed to find standing space. Turns out the orchestra and soloist were finishing up their set, so I enjoyed about 5 minutes of the music and extraordinary light show. Then the stage was cleared of the orchestra chairs and instruments and the Pink Floyd group promised to play "as long as they'll let us." Well, it was late for the old man, so I departed feeling pleased that I had been able to glimpse even 5 minutes of the 40+ musicians.

It appears that The Carpenter Theatre will be competing with the Nat. They have booked two concerts so far: Sept. 18th, Musiq Soulchild and Ledisi, and then the next night, Sept. 19th they'll go head to head with the National: The Oak Ridge Boys will play The Carpenter Theatre and comedienne Margaret Cho will play 7PM and 10PM shows at The National.

After the wedding reception I attended on July 25th, I rushed off to The National and arrived about 10PM in hopes of seeing the 40-piece orchestra accompanying the musicians honoring Pink Floyd. There was a prominent "Sold Out" sign at the box office, but I coersed my way in by paying cash and was allowed to find standing space. Turns out the orchestra and soloist were finishing up their set, so I enjoyed about 5 minutes of the music and extraordinary light show. Then the stage was cleared of the orchestra chairs and instruments and the Pink Floyd group promised to play "as long as they'll let us." Well, it was late for the old man, so I departed feeling pleased that I had been able to glimpse even 5 minutes of the 40+ musicians.

It appears that The Carpenter Theatre will be competing with the Nat. They have booked two concerts so far: Sept. 18th, Musiq Soulchild and Ledisi, and then the next night, Sept. 19th they'll go head to head with the National: The Oak Ridge Boys will play The Carpenter Theatre and comedienne Margaret Cho will play 7PM and 10PM shows at The National.

I think that kind of competition bodes well for Broad Street. Obviously those two shows will be drawing very different clientele.

Here's more info on Horsby and others coming to the Nat.

From yesterday's RT-D:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertai...-185807/285623/

Hornsby tickets did not go on sale last week as reported in the above news story.

But they will be available beginning tomorrow, Aug. 21st. Orchestra level reserved seats are $50; Balcony seating and general standing room are $35.

There will be no $100 seats offering meet and greet privileges as reported elsewhere.

Bruce Hornsby and his group of musicians will appear at The Nat on Saturday, October 3rd.

FREE!!! Tonight, Friday, August 21st at 8PM:

Just walk into the National tonight and pay nothing to see and hear TUESDAY'S GONE -- LYNARD SKINYARD TRIBUTE.

As a celebration of almost two years of operation, The National invites you to visit the venue tonight -- 100% FREE. (Well. I guess you'll have to pay for drinks.)

If you don't believe me, check out the facebook box upper right on the website:

http://www.thenationalva.com

This Friday, August 28th, at 8PM The National offers an unusual attraction:

GATHERING OF THE FOUR WINDS, honoring Native American music, history and dance. It will feature Jim Boyd and Red Hawk with 15 legendary Native American performers. This is primarily a seated event with orchestra level seats going for $25, Balcony at $20 and standing room at $15.

This will be the fourth televised show at the Nat in the hope of putting them all together for a PBS series.

• 1 month later...

The National announces that a limited number of tickets for the LADY GAGA concert tonight (September 28th) at the Landmark Theatre are available at The Landmark box office and through all ticketmaster outlets.

Until yesterday, the concert was proclaimed a "sell-out" which probably means that a broker bought up a batch of tickets and is trying to unload them at the last minute.

This is the show that originally was booked into Toad's Place, then was picked up by The National which subsequently switched it to The Landmark Theatre, a 3,600-seat venue across from Monroe Park.

Lady Gaga has garnered so much publicity over the past year that she is now booked into some of the largest arenas across the country.

The National announces that a limited number of tickets for the LADY GAGA concert tonight (September 28th) at the Landmark Theatre are available at The Landmark box office and through all ticketmaster outlets.

Until yesterday, the concert was proclaimed a "sell-out" which probably means that a broker bought up a batch of tickets and is trying to unload them at the last minute.

This is the show that originally was booked into Toad's Place, then was picked up by The National which subsequently switched it to The Landmark Theatre, a 3,600-seat venue across from Monroe Park.

Lady Gaga has garnered so much publicity over the past year that she is now booked into some of the largest arenas across the country.

People started lining up outside the Landmark last night!

I hope some of those extra tickets were given to The Landmark, otherwise those souls waiting in line for the theatre box office to open this morning may find remaining tix have been sold on Ticketmaster overnight.

I think he means people started lining up to see Lady Gaga, not that they were waiting in line to buy tickets. The entire venue is unfortunately general admission, which means you have everyone wanting to be in the orchestra area. It's going to be one big mess tonight, and I'll be in the middle of it. haha. I'm looking forward to seeing her show!

Still can't find a review in the R-TD of the Richmond Symphony's debut at The Carpenter Theatre, but Melissa Ruggieri covered Lady Gaga's show last night at the Landmark in her inimitable style.

I don't know how to change fonts, add accent marks etc. so know that lame in this funny snippet is pronounced "lammay":

"Competing in the fashion department were Gaga's fans -- an amusing mixture of gold lame leggings and glittery eye shadow. And that was just the guys." :rofl:

Here's the complete review:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertai...-234002/296203/

"Competing in the fashion department were Gaga's fans -- an amusing mixture of gold lame leggings and glittery eye shadow. And that was just the guys." :rofl:

Here's the complete review:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertai...-234002/296203/

The review's very accurate... She's a great performer, and her fans love her. The line to get into The Landmark wrapped around the entire block, going along Laurel to Floyd, then down Floyd, all the way down Cherry, past Main St.

Here's a great photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonwu/set...57622353897345/

Most of the performance is on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

American Idol winner David Cook takes over the National stage next Tuesday, October 13th at 8PM

Meanwhile, The National is apparently finding The Landmark Theatre a great alternative venue for concerts too costly for the intimate National. Lady Gaga was a recent sell-out at the midtown theatre with its 3,600 seats. Next, under the National banner at The Landmark will be Monsters of Folk featuring Jim James, Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis. W Ward and others.

Monsters of Folk -- at The Landmark Theatre Tuesday, November 10th at 8PM.

Check http://www.thenationalva.com for details.

• 1 month later...

Here's a first -- at least, to my knowledge.

Under the auspecies of The National there will be two concerts tonight, November 10th, at two different venues.

"Monsters of Folk" will be on stage for a seated concert at 8PM tonight at the 3,600 seat Landmark Theatre across from Monroe Park in The Lower Fan. Seats at $35 are still available.

Meanwhile, less than a mile away downtown at the 1,500 capacity National, "Brand New and Thrice" will appear at 7PM (6PM doors). $25 in advance $28 at the door. This group has sold out many of its gigs.

http://www.thenationalva.com

Maybe it's just an accident of booking, but if one judges by the names of the acts this seems to be gross-out-theme week at The Nat.

Tonight (11/11) at 8PM is CULT

Thursday (11/12) at 6:30PM is HATEBREED CANNIBAL CORPSE

and ending out the week on Saturday (11/14) is TECH N9NE SLAUGHTERHOUSE at 8PM.

:blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived