National Theatre

Shakman

Remember the little chap who charmed listeners on American Idol last year? His name is David Archuleta and in an incredible coup THE NATIONAL has snagged him for an appearance at 7PM next Wednesday February 25th at 7PM. Archuleta has a preference to play halls that offer seating options. Since Norfolk's Norva cannot do so Archuletta is booked into the sparkling new Sandler Center in Virginia Beach on Tuesday night before the singer's appearance at the the larger capacity National (1500+ vs 1300) for Wednesday night's concert in Richmond.

Better call early to see if any tickets are still available.

http://www.thenationalva.com

From Melissa Ruggeri in today's R-TD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-181626/209941/

Liza Minelli is booked into Norfolk's Chrysler Hall Friday, April 24th in an appearance with the Virginia Symphony as part of the Virginia Arts Festival. Maybe the Richmond Symphony could contract her for the opening of Richmond Center Stage in September. Liza recently completed an engagement at The Palace Theatre here in Manhattan.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A group called The Wailers, featuring Al Anderson and Junior Marvin, will appear at The National Sunday, March 15th at 8PM.

And get this: advance tickets are only $5 ($10 day of show.)

I don't know who the Wailers are, but tickets at that price, if every one were sold, would barely pay the electric bill.

The night prior to their National appearance The Wailers will perform at Norva in Norfolk where concert-goers will have to pay a hefty $9 in advance ($15 day of show.) :P

• 4 weeks later...

Comic Tracy Morgan who was originally booked for one show in March had to cancel that date due to a SNL appearance. He was rebooked for Saturday, April 11 at 8PM.

Apparently sales went very well because the National has added a second show at 10:30pm on the same date.

So you've got two chances to catch this funny man -- 8PM and 10:30PM Saturday, April 11th. Both are seated performances ranging from $25 to $35 per ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

The sold-out Lady Gaga concert which was moved from Toads Place to the National will NOT take place tomorrow night (April 3rd) but will be rescheduled and sold tickets will be honored.

Read this notice from today's R-TD for details:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-184625/246589/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note: If the National seriously considers taking over operations at the former Toads Place in Richmond, would it follow that Norva would utilize Norfolk's Granby Theatre in a similar fashion?

Lady Gaga must be one popular and busy gal. Her recently postponed April 3rd appearance at the Nat is now rescheduled for September 28th at The 3,600-seat Landmark Theatre at the foot of The Fan overlooking Monroe Park.

Spokes people for the National say that all tix purchased at Toads and The Nat will be honored for the Landmark gig. Additional general admission tix go on sale tomorrow (4/10/09.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tracy Morgan will definitely do his two shows at The National this Saturday (4/11) at 8 and 10:30pm despite confusion created by his management team. Tix still available.

Since I am pretty big on Music I know that two songs of Lady Gaga's is very popular for the young people including my girly cousins. I think her top song is Poker Face and the other one escapes me at this moment.

Could that other song be "Just Dance?"

Thats the name of it. I had completly forgot the name of it. A really good friend of mine that I work with she is obsessed with lady gaga so if she ever comes to perform in Richmond again I will try and get tickets and take her as she didnt get tickets in time either.

Thats the name of it. I had completly forgot the name of it. A really good friend of mine that I work with she is obsessed with lady gaga so if she ever comes to perform in Richmond again I will try and get tickets and take her as she didnt get tickets in time either.

Lady Gaga will be at The Landmark Theatre September 28th and tickets are now on sale.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-190451/253046/

So im guessing that since she moved to a larger venue that more tickets are on sale to fill the house. No offense to the Landmark but she could easily sell out at the coliseum as popular as she has gotten. I will be sure to get tickets for me and my friend that I work with. My next concert I am seeing is Papa Roach and I really wanna see Metallica if they ever come to VA. I am also going to Northen VA to see Kings of Leon.

My next concert I am seeing is Papa Roach and I really wanna see Metallica if they ever come to VA. I am also going to Northen VA to see Kings of Leon.

Metallica is playing JPJ in C-ville on Oct 17th. I only know this b/c I'm seeing them in Charlotte on the 18th :) I saw them in NY back in January--fantastic show. I also have tix to see Kings of Leon. I've heard they are a pretty good...

Yeah Kings of Leon is an up and coming band. I think they will be an amazing band in the future. I hear a couple songs of theirs on the radio here in Richmond on Y101. I cant wait to go see them rock it out. Metallica Tickets are tough to come by. My friend has an extra ticket for the show at JPJ in Charlottesville so Im probably gonna be going with him to see that one. I love having great connections to music and concerts through friends.

:yahoo: Isn't it great that Richmond and surroundings are no longer a musical wasteland? The city owes a large debt of gratitude to Bill Reid, David Peterson, Johannas Design team and others for giving us the revitalized National. Though Toads Place had some unfortunate problems, it is likely that new management (perhaps The National group) will take over the 1,500 capacity spot.

The following Central Virginia venues are, or soon will be, enriching the entertainment scene:

RHYTHM HALL AT CENTER STAGE - cap. 150 (opens September '09)

GOTTWALD THEATRE AT CENTER STAGE - cap. 200 (opens September '09)

CAPITAL ALE MUSIC HALL - cap. 250

THE EMPIRE THEATRE - cap. 500+

ALLEY KATZ - cap. 500

CANAL CLUB - cap. 700

THE PARAMOUNT THEATRE in Charlottesville - cap. 1,000+

TOADS PLACE - cap. 1,500 (hopefully to re-open soon)

THE NATIONAL - cap. 1,500+

THE CARPENTER THEATRE - cap. 1,760+ (opens September '09)

THE LANDMARK THEATRE - cap. 3,600

THE RICHMOND COLISEUM - cap. 13,500+

JOHN PAUL JONES ARENA in Charlottesville - cap. 17,000+

Also, numerous University halls and theatres in Metro Richmond varying in capacity from 100 to 600 plus two or three amphitheatres ranging up to 10,000 capacity.

And let us not forget the largest venue in the state - Richmond International Speedway with 112,000 seats -- some of which in the Tower section are almost 200-feet above the track!

Feel free to add to this list. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

04/12/09 -- What about THE CAMEL just west of VCU on Broad Street and the old Flood Zone in The Bottom (now known as HAVE A NICE DAY CAFE?) Are they dance clubs or concert vdenues?

04/13/09 -- Though primarily sports venues I should have included VCU's 7,500-seat Siegel Center and The Robins Center at UR with a capacity of 9,500.

• 1 month later...

A band that I believe is quite popular in Richmond will hit the stage of The National this Saturday, May 30th.

Book now to see CARBON LEAF Saturday night.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone any news about the former Toad's Place?

• 2 weeks later...

04/12/09 -- What about THE CAMEL just west of VCU on Broad Street and the old Flood Zone in The Bottom (now known as HAVE A NICE DAY CAFE?) Are they dance clubs or concert vdenues?

Have a Nice Day Cafe is just a dance club. I do not recall any concert space available, though it has been 8-10 years since I have been in that building. I am not familar with THE CAMEL.

The Decemberists group which packed the National last week will appear tonight (June 10th) at Radio City Music Hall here in NYC. They will perform the complete "Hazzards of Love" which I believe they tried out in their National gig.

• 2 weeks later...

I know very little about today's musical artists, but apparently a group with a gruesome name will be making its only stop in the mid-Atlantic region at the Nat on Thursday, July 30th.

They call themselves "My Bloody Valentine."

I'm going to be in town mid to late July and if I were not already engaged for the evening I would go to see/hear the Pat McGee Band on July 18th. Perhaps I can coordinate with another concert date among those listed in the schedule. I always like to renew nostalgia by going to the National.

http://www.thenationalva.com

Archived