National Theatre

Shakman

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could go, too. But airfare, car rental and other expenses don't fit into my budget at this point. Too near tax time!

If anyone DOES go, please fill us in with all the social gossip and descriptions of the theatre.

You know I might actually try to go! It's a bit pricey, but I'll just have to make up for it at the open bar :alc:

You know I might actually try to go! It's a bit pricey, but I'll just have to make up for it at the open bar :alc:

It's also a tax write off, and you will be surporting one of your favorite organizations, Historic Richmond. Take the g/f, swill back a few, doin't dribble on your tux, and give us a full report. :)

PS: Richmond's high society will be out in full force -- a great opportunity to make some important business connections! In fact, your company should foot the bill.

• 2 weeks later...

The Nationalhad its first "in-the-rough" opening last night when Gov. Kaine welcomed preservationists, developers, artists and others. Someone on the other board says it looks beautiful, but adds there is lots of work to be done before the first concert in late February. I wish she had taken and posted some pictures.

Meanwhile, the Historic Richmond Gala is still on for February 9th.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard a report that GIBSON's may not open until March or April. Would that mean all seven bars in the theatre would be dry until the restaurant is operational with a liquor license?

Shades of Toad's opening dilemma.

And RATS!!! I'm flying in from New York on March 10th and am arranging for a group of nine to see Little Feet that evening. Where to dine on a Monday night in down town Richmond?

And can anyone tell me if it is possible to book seating in the VIP area, or at least be assured of seating in the balcony? And if so, how does one go about making such arrangements? All I can find on the web site is General Admission. My party ranges in age from 45 to 80, and though all of us want to hear the concert and, especially, see the National, none of us wants to stand in the pit.

On an earlier trip when I had purchased 16 tickets to hear Ken Navarro on a Sunday at Toads, I learned the day I arrived in Richmond the concert had been cancelled. I was fully refunded, and we ended up having a wonderful dinner at Bookbinders, but it was disappointing, to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

I am concerned that you will still be walking thru a construction entrance two days from now... I wont hold my breathe...

I will have to dig up my old hard hat with the steal-your-face sticker and dancin' bear sticker on it then. As long as the will-call office is accessible I will be alright.

Just in case anyone is interested, Dan Healy (former sound guru for the Grateful Dead and Dave Matthews Band) will be working the controls for DSO. This should be an excellent show!! I look forward to cracking the seal on this joint!

http://www.darkstarorchestra.net/NEWSITE/HTML/dso.php

As far as hoping the sound is good, I don't know what this means but I received it in a VentureRichmond eNews update:

The National Theater, located at 708 East Broad Street, has a state-of-the-art V-DOSC sound system, only the sixth installed in the country and the third installed on the East Coast.

natl2.jpg

As far as hoping the sound is good, I don't know what this means but I received it in a VentureRichmond eNews update:

natl2.jpg

You know, I've never seen the Nat in person, but it just doesn't seem big enough to draw the performances that it is drawing. Additionally, some of these bands are not bands that I want to sit in a seat for (i.e. Puddle of Mudd) - how will that work? I hope no one defaces the Nat during some of these "harder" type shows. Anyway, these were just a few of my concerns. Someone please help me put these to rest. :whistling:

I just bought 2 tickets to see Sara Evans on August 23. Didn't give me an option of balcony -- just General Admission. I assume that means that I'm in the standing area.

The 9:30 Club in D.C. is also General Admission. There are no seats on the floor and there is seating above and it is also General Admission. If you want a seat, go and get a seat. No problems. I have never had a problem getting a seat at the 9:30, and I don't think there will be a problem with it at The Nat either.

News just in.....Friday night's show is cancelled and will take place on Monday night. :cry: Bummer!!!!

Anyone need any tickets?

I might have bought them if I had seen this sooner...

I am still wondering if they even got their permits Friday, there may not even be a show today either...

BTW they worked 24 hrs a day over the weekend... and the plywood is still covering the box office... hmmm

I might have bought them if I had seen this sooner...

I am still wondering if they even got their permits Friday, there may not even be a show today either...

BTW they worked 24 hrs a day over the weekend... and the plywood is still covering the box office... hmmm

I took photos Friday night and the plywood was off the boxoffice windows then.

Archived