National Theatre

Shakman

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far, all the attractions at The National have been one-night stands. But I notice that a group called The Black Crows are in for two nights -- Tuesday and Wednesday, October 7th and 8th. They are playing some pretty impressive dates in Australia and big venues in the States.

Haha....Burt you are hysterical!

Yes, The Black Crowes have a nice little following, and they happen to be one of my favorite bands, but they are hardly even the biggest name at the National since they have opened. Willie Nelson and Lou Reed and Pharrel Williams even, have far more name recognition and drawing power. The Crowes are a good draw for large clubs like the Nat and some larger venues, depending on the city. For example, they would probably struggle to sell out the Landmark Theater in this day and age, though they could have sold it out in the early to mid 90s. I am very excited about these shows b/c the last 2 times they have played Richmond were a free show on Browns Island and a show at Innsbrook, not the ideal setting and their setlist suffered at these places. That won't happen here.

In case you are wondering what they are like, the closest overall comparision would be the late 60s and early 70s Rolling Stones....but that doesn't quite do them justice. They are basically a roots oriented hard rock/pyschedelic band that has some extended jamming but not a huge amount.

Also, the openr for these shows is excellent as well, Howlin Rain. Early October is going to be nice!

Haha....Burt you are hysterical!

Yes, The Black Crowes have a nice little following, and they happen to be one of my favorite bands, but they are hardly even the biggest name at the National since they have opened. Willie Nelson and Lou Reed and Pharrel Williams even, have far more name recognition and drawing power. The Crowes are a good draw for large clubs like the Nat and some larger venues, depending on the city. For example, they would probably struggle to sell out the Landmark Theater in this day and age, though they could have sold it out in the early to mid 90s. I am very excited about these shows b/c the last 2 times they have played Richmond were a free show on Browns Island and a show at Innsbrook, not the ideal setting and their setlist suffered at these places. That won't happen here.

In case you are wondering what they are like, the closest overall comparision would be the late 60s and early 70s Rolling Stones....but that doesn't quite do them justice. They are basically a roots oriented hard rock/pyschedelic band that has some extended jamming but not a huge amount.

Also, the openr for these shows is excellent as well, Howlin Rain. Early October is going to be nice!

:wub: Well, you very acurately sum up my lack of savvy about music acts traveling around the world these days -- I didn't even know how to spell "CrowEs -- but their itinerary looks very impressive to me. Despite their willingness in the past to perform free gigs, I'm pleased that they are getting two nights at the Nat?

Have you noticed as I have, deeznats, that the Nat and NorVa are not cross-booking as much as some had expected?

You've guessed, I'm sure, that I'm far more interested in the building and what its rejuvenation is doing to bring people downtown than I am about who plays on its stage. ;)

Do you have any info about the status of GIBSON's. And can you tell me (an out-of-towner) if act curtain, valance, legs and other blacks have been hung on stage? Also, what is the status of the marquee? I have a notion it is going to be a replica of the one that hung from the building in the 1930's, 40's and 50's.

OK, deeznatz! Correct me if I've got this wrong, but at least two attractions are selling reserved SEATING on the orchestra floor as well as in the balcony -- Tommy Emmanuel (Anthony Snape) on Friday June 13th, and Amos Lee on July 25th. Does that mean that these musical artists' primary appeal is to older folk?

It may not be at all "Punk" but I bet a quarter there will be a full house at The Nat this Friday May 23rd at 8PM for an (almost) all local show featuring The Mills Family Band, Bio Ritmo AND the 17-piece Upper East Side Big Band under the direction of Samson Trinh playing The Beatles "ABBEY ROAD" in its entirety. Adrian Duke will be guest vocalist. Tix only ten bucks, $13 day of show.

If you go to http://www.thenationalva.com and click "Tour", you'll notice that a few more pix have been added. All but one, I think, are of backstage dressing and green rooms for musicians. The last one is a non-glamorized shot of the VIP lounge on the second level of the 7th and Broad corner.

I wish some of our photographers could be turned loose in the building. :whistling:

If you go to http://www.thenationalva.com and click "Tour", you'll notice that a few more pix have been added. All but one, I think, are of backstage dressing and green rooms for musicians. The last one is a non-glamorized shot of the VIP lounge on the second level of the 7th and Broad corner.

I wish some of our photographers could be turned loose in the building. :whistling:

I almost made it there this weekend... it will happen soon my friend ;)

2534828585_39ed56d27e.jpg

Thank you, source. I had a suspicion that you would favor us with something like this, but didn't expect it to be quite this artistic. Congratulations on your excellent night-time photography. Maybe some night, you'll snap the multi-colored illuminated fountain in Byrd Park's Boat Lake.

The Indigo Girls filled the Nat last night, but an unannounced number of tickets bought for a cancelled show at The Byrd Theatre a few months ago were honored.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...06-01-0236.html

PS: The "machine" that was parked outside the National for several months was a temporary pump connected to city water lines. The situation has been corrected; the pump is gone as well as the hump in the roadway at 7th and Broad.

Also, the stage masking about which I inquired has been installed, though vertical "legs" stage right and left are not hung -- perhaps by artists' request.

Here's a professional update on Johnny and Katrina Giavos' upscale restaurant in the National building:

"...the monumental stair is in place, the hoods and stainless are installed in the kitchen, the ceiling is being installed on the street level, ceilings have been installed in the basement seating and bar areas, bathrooms are roughed-in, and bars' knee walls are installed. A bit more finish work to go..."

Reading that gives one hope that GIBSON's could be operational by early July.

I drove by tonight and I absolutely love it! It lights up Broad and the building itself in a nice red glow. And the building across the street is just as ugly without the aluminum as it is with... and what are they planning to do with it?

I drove by tonight and I absolutely love it! It lights up Broad and the building itself in a nice red glow. And the building across the street is just as ugly without the aluminum as it is with... and what are they planning to do with it?

I was told, a couple of years ago, that the ground floor was to be retail while the upper floors were to be office. Of course, that was the plan a couple of years ago.

Are there any permits displayed on the window(s)? The permits would give some indication.

I was told, a couple of years ago, that the ground floor was to be retail while the upper floors were to be office. Of course, that was the plan a couple of years ago.

Are there any permits displayed on the window(s)? The permits would give some indication.

Nice comments Cam on the National at night.

Ill walk by tonight and take a look and see what I see.

Ill walk by tonight and take a look and see what I see.

The n/w corner 7th and Broad building is discussed in the Broad Street Revitalization thread. Please, let's not dilute the National's forum with chat about its ugly neighbor. :hi:

Archived