Shakman

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here they are: Barricade removal at The National

2422372896_f650bea8f5.jpg

2421561193_5330b1e4ea.jpg

2422369478_b7fd9e5f4d.jpg

Here's hoping the marquee will be ready and illuminated for tonight's official "Grand Opening" and that the restaurant, GIBSON's, will be functioning. If anybody is downtown, please take your camera and snap some pix.

The marquee is still the same as in the photos. I passed by the national this afternoon.

Thanks, source. I was hoping it would be a-glow for Saturday night's official opening. Nor, I suppose, is GIBSON's up and running. Wonder who catered the "heavy" hors d'oeurves Saturday night? Amazing that there hasn't been one mention of the grand official opening in the TD (inRich) nor a review of The Temptations . Jason Mraz got coverage for his Friday night sold-out concert.

I just enjoyed your Flickr photos on the other board, source. Excellent! It would appear that Mr. Jemal is quietly proceeding with his plan of acquiring and restoring property along the most desolate stretches of East Broad.

Alas, the "ace" photographers who used to grace the pages of this site appear to have found other interests. :cry:

Sorry Burt, I'm still chugging along with pics, but it's so hard for me to upload, being that I have to take my camera to my aunt's and then her dsl really does make the Slowskys look like Speed Racer.

There was a fire scare this morning at The National. But it was a false alarm. Apparently a worker inadvertantly set off an alarm in the basement.

Saturday night's Historic Richmond gala went very well, according to a source. The festive crowd was very impressed with the facility, eventhough considerable work remains to be done. The marquee is not finished. And what are called teasers and tormentors in theatre-talk (2 sets of blacks hanging vertically stage left and right and two sets of suspended horizontal blacks masking the upper stagehouse) have not yet been hung. Nor has the act curtain on a traveler been installed behind the proscenium arch.

When asked about his opening date for GIBSON's, Johnny Giavos shrugged his shoulders and said he doesn't even ask anymore. But it will probably debut in May. Incidentally, the basement where today's false alarm originated will be the lower dining area of GIBSON's. Giavos did prepare and cater the Saturday night affair.

I was told the VIP lounge was finished and is beautiful.

And, they add, The Tempations were fabulous.

I'm planning on seeing the B-52s at The National on Sunday night. What's parking like in the area? I read the FAQ and saw that there is a parking deck behind the theater. Do you enter the parking deck from Grace or from 7th St? Price on a Sunday? I was hoping to try out Gibson's, but I see they won't be open until probably next month at the earliest. Isn't it supposed to be similar to the Back Stage Cafe at the Norva?(you can get inside the Norva a bit early by eating at the BSC prior to the show.)

From previous posts in this thread, I know that most/all of the seating is in the upper level. I've read that the seating is rather cramped. Being a big guy, I'm not sure how that will work for me. Would like to hear more about people's experiences in the upper level...view, acoustics, comfort, etc.

Thanks.

I'm planning on seeing the B-52s at The National on Sunday night. What's parking like in the area? I read the FAQ and saw that there is a parking deck behind the theater. Do you enter the parking deck from Grace or from 7th St? Price on a Sunday? I was hoping to try out Gibson's, but I see they won't be open until probably next month at the earliest. Isn't it supposed to be similar to the Back Stage Cafe at the Norva?(you can get inside the Norva a bit early by eating at the BSC prior to the show.)

From previous posts in this thread, I know that most/all of the seating is in the upper level. I've read that the seating is rather cramped. Being a big guy, I'm not sure how that will work for me. Would like to hear more about people's experiences in the upper level...view, acoustics, comfort, etc.

Thanks.

Hokiewolf, go to http://www.thenationalva.com and click "Tour" along the top of the site. You'll see interior pix of the facility.

If you have visited NorVA, you'll know that it has practically no seating whatsoever. These concert venues (like Toads Place) cater to youngsters who prefer to stand in the pit and cheer on their musical heros. You can do just that on the orchestra level of The National, or you may prefer to settle into an unreserved snug theater-style chair among the 300+ located on the balcony level. The front balcony, fitted with banquettes and tables as well as four theater boxes, are VIP sections selling for five grand a year. The balcony seats, while a tight fit, are not too uncomfortable. Besides, most people like to wander around the venue discovering bars, lounges and other niches and crannies tucked into the restored building. There are ample restrooms on all levels, and if you smoke, sneak out through a side doorway to an open-air courtyard and indulge yourself (smoking is verbotten within the facility.)

GIBSON's promises to be much more luxurious than NorVA's Back Stage Cafe. It is on the ground level of the 7th and Broad Street corner and will include a larger restaurant in the basement of the building. An elevator will connect it with the first and balcony levels of the theatre. GIBSON's most likely will be open by the end of May or in June. Ticket holders to concerts, as at NorVA's Back Stage Cafe and HIGHWATER restaurant at Toads Place, will be allowed early access to the theatre.

Acoustics are perfect, stage lighting is top-of-the line and sightlines are A-one from anywhere in the auditorium. You're going to have a blast at the B-52 concert!

The garage entry is on 7th at Marshall (Grace is a block away in the other direction). But I bet a quarter you'll be able to find a free street space within three blocks on a Sunday.

You're in for a great experience.

Thanks.

Parking on Grace between 8th and 9th is always free and open. If not there, I usually park on Leigh Street at the coliseum and stroll down 8th street.

The Richmond Symphony has discovered the National!

The 2008/2009 Symphony season will include eight versions of its Kicked Back Classics series from the National stage on four Sundays at 4PM and four Thursdays at 6:30PM. The family-friendly Sunday concerts, with pre-show festivals including musical petting zoo and other educational activities will be at 4PM. They are:

"The Music Effect," Sept. 28, Mikhail Agrest, conductor.

"Music for a Theatre," Oct. 26, Erin Freeman, conductor.

"Music for Poe," Jan. 25, 2009, Erin Freeman, conductor.

"Jazz-o-Matic,"May 3, Erin Freeman, conductor.

They will be repeated on Thursdays at 6:30PM, but with an adult twist, and will feature pre-concert entertainment in the theatre lobby at 6PM on Sept. 25, Oct. 23, Jan. 22 and April 30.

So far, all the attractions at The National have been one-night stands. But I notice that a group called The Black Crows are in for two nights -- Tuesday and Wednesday, October 7th and 8th. They are playing some pretty impressive dates in Australia and big venues in the States.

Here's a bit of interesting trivia about bookings at The National vs NorVa gleaned from the schedules of each venue:

For example: Between tonight and May 9th, each venue has no overlapping programs.

And, between now and August 9th NorVa is presenting only two attractions with admission over $25 while the National has seven where top tickets will sell for more than $25.

The National has 32 bookings between now and July 11th and the NorVa has 29 lined up for the same time frame.

Here's a bit of interesting trivia about bookings at The National vs NorVa gleaned from the schedules of each venue:

For example: Between tonight and May 9th, each venue has no overlapping programs.

And, between now and August 9th NorVa is presenting only two attractions with admission over $25 while the National has seven where top tickets will sell for more than $25.

The National has 32 bookings between now and July 11th and the NorVa has 29 lined up for the same time frame.

Great research burt! Wonder if the price has to do with the quality of the acts or the price you pay to experience the venue? By overlapping do you mean scheduling the same act at both venues? Glad to hear they are booking so many groups. I think by and large they have done well so far. I went last week for the first time to see Old Crow Medicine Show and had a blast. Bars everywhere though they could use more during set breaks. Overall a gorgeous venue and a huge asset to Richmond's booming music scene.

Great research burt! Wonder if the price has to do with the quality of the acts or the price you pay to experience the venue? By overlapping do you mean scheduling the same act at both venues? Glad to hear they are booking so many groups. I think by and large they have done well so far. I went last week for the first time to see Old Crow Medicine Show and had a blast. Bars everywhere though they could use more during set breaks. Overall a gorgeous venue and a huge asset to Richmond's booming music scene.

Yes, ric75. I meant that they were not scheduling the same acts at both venues (at least in the time frame I mentioned.)

Also, I did not mean to imply that the National was charging more for acts that are also playing NorVa. The Nat, I believe, is drawing quite well. The booking of attractions such as Black Crows (for two-nights in October at $35.50 top) is, IMO, as much PR as it is a reflection of the initial success of the facility.

Still no marquee... any idea when we might see it?

It may not be indicative of anything, but the theater/club (National) has no bookings until the weekend. Maybe they are using this down time to catch up on construction activity, including the marquee.

Does anyone know what the "machine" (for a better word) outside on the sidewalk is used for? It looks sort of like a generator and has a large "cord" that extends under Broad street at 7th. I'm sure the City won't allow it as a permanent fixture.

Or, maybe it has been removed since the last photo from source (see it several postings above.)

And has anyone heard of opening date for GIBSON's?

It looks like a water main broke and they are temporarily rerouting the water... but I might be completely wrong.

I think it is a temporary water pump.

Any of the construction guys want to guess? I know that it hooks into a water line right there, but as to what they are accomplishing I have no idea... and a word to the wise, dont drive too fast around that corner over the asphalt hump they built over it - looks like it will tear up your alignment in a hurry.

Archived