Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

I have lots of thoughts on this subject, but perhaps a deeper discussion is better suited for a separate thread about how downtown Nashville entertainment options could evolve.  I do feel that figuring out how to organically grow the entertainment options downtown to make them more appealing to a broader swath of people without diminishing Nashville's country music legacy will be a critical part of the city's maturation process. 

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, East Side Urbanite said:

This is one reason, among many others, the National Museum of African American Music will be a key. It will lure (in part) tourists from parts of the world and who are not necessarily country music fans and perhaps have not yet visited our city.

Or it can lead to country music fans traveling to nashville for the country music to broaden their music tastes 

1 minute ago, nashvylle said:

Or it can lead to country music fans traveling to nashville for the country music to broaden their music tastes 

Have you listened to today's country music?  It's pretty obvious that most of the creators of today's country music (and the listeners of today's country music) grew up on and love rap / hip hop music.  So...I would imagine most would LOVE to attend the NMAAM.  Now...whether or not they are familiar with or love old blues, jazz, R&B, etc...that may be another question.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, titanhog said:

But do we really need to attempt to make it known we are “more than country?”  Whether you or I like it or not, that is the one music genre we can actually say we “own” without anyone else saying they also have a claim to the title.  And...country music’s history as a genre is as diverse in changing styles as any other genre.  I know we don’t want to be perceived as “hayseed”...but only people who are ignorant of what country music is believe that anyway.

Personally...I say let Nashville be whatever it will be...let people come here and discover the truth on their own...and don’t try and hide the “country music” roots of the city.  People in the know realize there’s more than country music...but country music really is our bread and butter.

Yes, in my opinion I do think it would help to make it known that Nashville is more than country music.   I don't think that will take away from the foundation that Country Music has in Nashville.  I'm not suggesting at all that Nashville should downplay it's legacy as the country Music capital of the world.  But if you really want Nashville to be culturally diverse and to be recognized for that diversification you have to promote it.  New York is not known for country music.  But they have promoted the addition of the country music scene growing in NYC over the past two years.  That means country music fans who may not have thought of going to NYC will at least consider it as an option.  It will give them something familiar to do while they explore all that NYC has to offer.  Will NYC ever be considered a country music mecca?  Probably not.  But it's just another patch in their multi-cultural quilt.  That's all I'm saying Nashville should do as well.  Maintain the legacy for sure.  Grow culturally to attract more diversification in terms of tourist and even more importantly future residents.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Whoever took that picture could sell prints down on LoBro. 

I guess I just realized that there are two old 'historic' houses on Broadway looking for a home... and time's running out. 

As someone mentioned on here yesterday...I hope someone saves that old JJ's sign.

• Like 3

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it's an interesting critique of Dubai's urban landscape, and in it, I think are lessons that every city, particularly more car dependent sunbelt cities like Nashville, can learn from.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but it's an interesting critique of Dubai's urban landscape, and in it, I think are lessons that every city, particularly more car dependent sunbelt cities like Nashville, can learn from.  

This guy has some interesting videos. The ones he did on Cincy and KC are fascinating as well an I have been following him for a while on You Tube .

Thanks for posting the links.