Project Thread/New Construction/Photo du jour/Const. CAMs

smeagolsfree

14 hours ago, markhollin said:

TBT:  Looking SW from AT&T Tower, 1994.  Parking lot where Sun Trust Building would eventually go at center right. Old Nashville Convention Center at upper right.   Surface lot where Downtown Hilton and Walk of Fame Park would go at upper left.  Foundation of Bridgestone Arena at upper center.  Broadway looking fairly abandoned. 

1994 Ryman and Arena base uc from AT&T x.jpg

I’m sure there were people who wanted to demolish lower Broadway for a parking lot. Thank God that didn’t happen!

• Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 5:41 AM, markhollin said:

Broadway looking fairly abandoned. 

I seem to remember that we never did much on Broadway back then. We gravitated more towards 2nd (if we even bothered making the trip downtown at all... fear of shanking and all). Then all of a sudden we started heading to Broadway in the mid-00s and I guess the rest is history.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, glamdring269 said:

I seem to remember that we never did much on Broadway back then. We gravitated more towards 2nd (if we even bothered making the trip downtown at all... fear of shanking and all). Then all of a sudden we started heading to Broadway in the mid-00s and I guess the rest is history.

Yup, 2nd Ave was the place to "cruise" in the late 90's early 2000's!  Even then, I think I remember activity beginning to spread to Broad between 2nd Ave/Riverfront and the Arena.  Ah, fond memories!  Really was a beginning catalyst for what we see today.

• Like 2

Right! They are feeding a demand that continues to grow. By the by, I think Broadway has among the most diverse crowds of nearly all cities I've visited. Go on a Saturday night and you'll see everything from big chain wearing rapper types walking beside babushkas. I have.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 11:56 AM, titanhog said:

^^What I don't think most people know...and it probably needs to be more publicized, is that many of those "honky tonks" have several floors of different music playing.  So...it's most definitely not all country.  I don't think LoBro (from 5th to the river) is going to change because it is so successful (currently).  The "diversification" is going to have to come on the cross streets and beyond.

I agree.  I have no problem with the honky tonks.  And, it's a good thing that they are playing varying types of music on different floors.  But what draws the most attention on Broadway is country music.  So, I agree that the diversification needs to come on other streets.  I think that has already started, but Nashville has to do a better job promoting it.  If you ask most people outside of Nashville what do they think of when they think of Nashville, they immediately say country music.  Again, nothing wrong with that.  But, if you're calling yourself Music City you need to be perceived beyond country music.   You need to show and promote the diversity in music in the city.  Not only from varying venues, but also in the creation of music.  Those of us from Nashville know that all types of music genre's are written and recorded in Nashville.  But most people outside of Nashville don't know that.  

• Like 2

My opinion is that most of the music played in the Broadway district honky tonks  is not really very Country! (Like most of what is played on FM “country” radio) Lots of blaring rock with a slight country twang, but little honest, tradition country. I am sharing a screenshot of a post from a coworker who was just in town for a week. (But whatever sells beer to the bachelorettes, eh?) :tw_persevere:

E21577A9-9DF7-45CC-B345-807E40066A07.jpeg

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I agree.  I have no problem with the honky tonks.  And, it's a good thing that they are playing varying types of music on different floors.  But what draws the most attention on Broadway is country music.  So, I agree that the diversification needs to come on other streets.  I think that has already started, but Nashville has to do a better job promoting it.  If you ask most people outside of Nashville what do they think of when they think of Nashville, they immediately say country music.  Again, nothing wrong with that.  But, if you're calling yourself Music City you need to be perceived beyond country music.   You need to show and promote the diversity in music in the city.  Not only from varying venues, but also in the creation of music.  Those of us from Nashville know that all types of music genre's are written and recorded in Nashville.  But most people outside of Nashville don't know that.  

But do we really need to attempt to make it known we are “more than country?”  Whether you or I like it or not, that is the one music genre we can actually say we “own” without anyone else saying they also have a claim to the title.  And...country music’s history as a genre is as diverse in changing styles as any other genre.  I know we don’t want to be perceived as “hayseed”...but only people who are ignorant of what country music is believe that anyway.

Personally...I say let Nashville be whatever it will be...let people come here and discover the truth on their own...and don’t try and hide the “country music” roots of the city.  People in the know realize there’s more than country music...but country music really is our bread and butter.

• Like 4