Nashville International Airport Development thread

Lexy

A few 747s have come in for charters, besides the now discontinued China Airlines cargo flights. Nebraska's football team chartered a United 747 in for the Music City Bowl before NYE.

The runways can carry the A380 and even the world's largest plane from Ukraine.

One of the most critical pieces is that if an airline wanted to bring in a 747 or A380, BNA does not have the gate capacity to do so, meaning 2 jetways for enplaning and deplaning. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NashRugger said:

A few 747s have come in for charters, besides the now discontinued China Airlines cargo flights. Nebraska's football team chartered a United 747 in for the Music City Bowl before NYE.

The runways can carry the A380 and even the world's largest plane from Ukraine.

One of the most critical pieces is that if an airline wanted to bring in a 747 or A380, BNA does not have the gate capacity to do so, meaning 2 jetways for enplaning and deplaning. 

At this point, I'd take A330s and ol' 767s departing BNA on a daily basis.

• Like 3

Actually, all you have to do is say that you are going for "education"  and hire a personal guide while there.  you have to declare the reason for your visit to the State Dept.  but it is basically on the honor system now.  you do have to keep a log book of what you do for a while in case they audit you. but basically, you can do anything but sit on a beach. 

Ive looked into going this year.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dxfret said:

Milwaukee, Portland, London Heathrow.  American Airlines flew BNA to London Gatwick in 1990s.   Or perhaps Norwegian Air or Condor 2-3x week to Europe, or a Mexican airline.

My guess is Canada, Mexico, or a relatively nearby island.  I figure it has to be somewhere international or internationalesque, otherwise why ring that bell in the teaser tweet (unless they have another international destination lined up to be announced in short order). That said, I don't think they'd probably tease 'domestic' if it were a major ocean-crossing international destination, but who knows, that could just be the set up.  I seem to recall this twitter account blowing a few previous announcements out of proportion, so I'm hedging my excitement and hoping to be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

The "could be international or domestic" part is interesting.  On the surface, it would be either/or.  However, I'm leaning toward this being something of a riddle. This could be a nonstop flight to somewhere with continuing service to an international destination.  The one that jumps to the forefront of my mind is Alaska Airlines to Portland with continuing service to Vancouver. That way the flight could be "international or domestic" depending on where you get off.  

Less likely than that, but still possible, would be San Juan which is kind of domestic and kind of international. Technically the plane would be leaving the US, but the plan wouldn't actually be going to another country. 

• Like 1

Highly doubtful that it will be San Juan as American flew nonstop BNA to SJU during the hub days of the 1990s, so that is not a new destination.  If international, it will hopefully be British Airways to London Heathrow, with a similar schedule (3-4 X per week) as recently announced for New Orleans. Domestic nonstop service gaps are Milwaukee and Portland, OR.

• Like 1