Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

The Battery at Arsenal Hill now has a website. I'm kinda diggin' the site plan. Even better, here's the description: "Imagine stepping out of your house onto the sidewalk of a new city street. Notice how garages are not the focus of the surrounding homes. Notice the variety of home styles and architectural details. This is a neighborhood that invites you to walk. Here in The Battery at Arsenal Hill walking is not just a destination it is an experience."

Somebody gets it. :thumbsup:

Nice site! It is a small development -- shame they couldn't get more of that block, the corner piece would have been a nice at least. Because of the parcel shape it seems a little bit disjointed, but they do "get it" in terms of traditional neighborhood design. Here is the link to the article announcing the development. Prices will be workforce affordable, which is nice.

On WIS news tonight they had a story about Richland County being named a finalist for this year's All American City award. There are only 34 finalists. The only other finalist this year in SC is North Augusta. The winners are going to be announced June 11.

The State gives us some details about Vsion. As I suspected, this is Capitol Places's first project off Main, and it is believed to be the first condo development built east of Main Street in the city center.

I didn't think to count the floors of the present building, but apparently it isn't ten stories, as construction will involve adding six floors to the four-story section on Marion Street and two floors to the eight-story section on Lady. The building

The State gives us some details about Vsion. As I suspected, this is Capitol Places's first project off Main, and it is believed to be the first condo development built east of Main Street in the city center.

I didn't think to count the floors of the present building, but apparently it isn't ten stories, as construction will involve adding six floors to the four-story section on Marion Street and two floors to the eight-story section on Lady. The building

Capitol Places really deserves recognition for doing a project with those prices. Often a project will be done with one or two small units at a lower price point, just to grab attention. The remainding 98% of the units are a MINIMUM 20-30k more, with most of them priced for luxury. C.P. is to be commended for doing a project with 45 units in the 150-200k range. This will be a great demostration of the market as well.

:thumbsup:

Edited by vicupstate

Tom Prioreschi of Capitol Places deserves a downtown statue or at least to have a street named after him.

he has done more for Main St than the city has

i have been shocked on some of the negative comments on the webpage blog under the article for this project from the State paper. I guess a lot of people still don't believe in downtown yet or the incredilble positive impact that infill contributes. If you read some, it is quite stunning

i have been shocked on some of the negative comments on the webpage blog under the article for this project from the State paper. I guess a lot of people still don't believe in downtown yet or the incredilble positive impact that infill contributes. If you read some, it is quite stunning

I read those also. Some people just don't get it and never will.

My name for people like that is the negativos. The Columbia negativos are still around, but they seem to be fewer in number than they used to be. And every city has negativos.

Edited by CorgiMatt

I just wish the "positivos" were a little more vocal. I really think it irks some people to see Columbia growing and filling in the way it has been doing, lest it become "the big bad city"--to which I say, move to St. Matthews or Winnsboro, because there is no sign of development letting up any time soon. That or get used to it.

What bugs me more is the Greenville and Charleston comparisons that seem to pop up everytime a downtown development is announced. I often suspect that such comments (eg, "Greenville and Charleston have better downtowns than Columbia") come from Greenvillians or Charlestonians, people who used to live there, or people out in the suburbs who rarely, if ever, venture into downtown. Such comments surely don't come from those who are committed to downtown and are working towards making it a better place. The article is about Columbia and celebrating the city's progress; discuss Greenville or Charleston elsewhere, but not in an article where Columbia is getting the shine. Some people just can't stand the fact that the city is doing something right.

I just wish the "positivos" were a little more vocal. I really think it irks some people to see Columbia growing and filling in the way it has been doing, lest it become "the big bad city"--to which I say, move to St. Matthews or Winnsboro, because there is no sign of development letting up any time soon. That or get used to it.

Krazee, that next to last comment (before the biased comment about Greenville and Charleston having much more vibrant DTs) sounds like something u would say.LOL. I agree with it wholeheartedly though.

That's exactly what it is - jealousy. Those people who make statements have obviously never spent any time in Five Points or the Vista. Name any comparably-sized (non resort) city to Columbia that has 2 such vibrant entertainment districts. There are none that I know of.

What bugs me more is the Greenville and Charleston comparisons that seem to pop up everytime a downtown development is announced. I often suspect that such comments (eg, "Greenville and Charleston have better downtowns than Columbia") come from Greenvillians or Charlestonians, people who used to live there, or people out in the suburbs who rarely, if ever, venture into downtown. Such comments surely don't come from those who are committed to downtown and are working towards making it a better place. The article is about Columbia and celebrating the city's progress; discuss Greenville or Charleston elsewhere, but not in an article where Columbia is getting the shine. Some people just can't stand the fact that the city is doing something right.

Yeah I agree. I find it ironic too that whenever something positive gets announced in DT Columbia many people (from Greenville or Charleston) claiming to live in Columbia now and immidiately say how Columbia can't compare, and how the city (Columbia) needs to do something to make itself better. Ironic because that's exactly what the city has been dong since around 2001. It's just like get over yourself. If you don't care for Columbia fine, I don't like many cities in the southeast, but dont try to discredit and belittle the great developments going on in DT Columbia just because of personal bias, it just makes you look silly and discredits your argument.

This was done recently on this forum by some members posting in "The State" newspaper. The sad thing about it was how obvious it was because the boosters use similar or almost identical terminology when they post on this forum as when used in the newspaper blog.

Edited by The_sandlapper

Funny how we don't care what's going on in their city :sick: !!!!! It's alot of hate. If things keep going the way there going for Columbia I can only imagine what will be said next. Atleast Columbia didn't have 8 towers planned and none fall threw. :blush:. People are really starting to pay attention to Columbia.!!! There's developments everywhere and almost on every road. It's undeniable Columbia is in a transitional stage. We lost the Bombers and everybody was happy. But look what we gained with our lost. A collegiate baseball league, basket ball league and it's more to come.If anyone ever noticed the majority of the mishapennings Columbia has the forums are started by non residents of Columbia. And the non residents do the most posting.

Edited by 803metlife

Funny how we don't care what's going on in their city :sick: !!!!! It's alot of hate. If things keep going the way there going for Columbia I can only imagine what will be said next. Atleast Columbia didn't have 8 towers planned and none fall threw. :blush:. People are really starting to pay attention to Columbia.!!! There's developments everywhere and almost on every road. It's undeniable Columbia is in a transitional stage. We lost the Bombers and everybody was happy. But look what we gained with our lost. A collegiate baseball leage, basket ball league and it's more to come.If anyone ever noticed the majority of the mishapennings Columbia has the forums are started by non residents of Columbia. And the non residents do the most posting.

I don't know what brought all of these attacks forward, but whatever. Just want to clear one thing up. If you're going to bash, do it intelligently.

8 towers planned and none follow through? Ok, bud, here's some insight--

*The Pinnacle On Main is still being built and should begin by year's end.

*The Camperdown should also begin by year's end.

*Main & McBee is on hold for some reason, but it's not dead. There's even been rendering floating around of the same building but TALLER.

*The Federal Court House is coming, but not held up because of anything in Greenville. That's all Washington.

*Phase Three of River Place is a tower, but it's PHASE 3. It's been said to possibly begin before phase two completely builds out.

*Also One Tower that was proposed for Main @ Broad is said to be looking elsewhere downtown. The Landowner wouldnt sell.

*One tower totally has been called off.

Ok, Recap here, 2 towers happening in the near future. 3 out of our control (Due to washington, it being phase 3, or land owner, not because Greenville's downtown is dead). 1 Tower wiped off the slate. That's not so bad! Not to mention that City Hall Plaza is being redeveloped and will most likely include a tower (waiting for the city to pick the winner) and I'm aware of another development that will most likely include a tower.

I'm not exactly sure of your intention here, krazeeboi, but you had to know that comment would stir up the mud-slinging. It looks like the "city bashing" was not started by Greenvillians or Charlestonians this time, as is often alledged. Really, for all the talk about not being insecure, there seems to be a good amount of hypersensitivity in this forum. :rolleyes:

I'm not exactly sure of your intention here, krazeeboi, but you had to know that comment would stir up the mud-slinging. It looks like the "city bashing" was not started by Greenvillians or Charlestonians this time, as is often alledged. Really, for all the talk about not being insecure, there seems to be a good amount of hypersensitivity in this forum. :rolleyes:

FYI, Krazeeboi neither lives in Columbia nor is from Columbia, but I find his comments to be right on the money. He wasn't bashing those cities, per se, he was bashing people from those cities who bash Columbia. There is a huge difference.