Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Columbia's lead is close to 20,000; I don't see Charleston overtaking us.

Actually, Columbia's lead is only about 6,000. Mayor Riley announced the Charleston population figure at 115K during this year's State of the City address, and the Central SC Alliance estimates Columbia's latest figure at 121K. Charleston is narrowing the gap.

It isn't just about more people moving into one city or the other, it is also about annexation. Both are doing a good job at that, considering how state law basically handcuffs municipalities when it comes to annexation, but I think the James Island incorporation fiasco serves as a big impetus for Charleston's annexations as of late.

Edited by krazeeboi

That's what annexation plus growth in the existing city limits can do. It's also possible that the Census Bureau underestimated the city's population. After all, aside from the official decennial census, the figures are only estimates. The municipalities themselves often have more accurate figures.

Edited by krazeeboi

Just read an interesting article online about city populations. At first I believed that Columbia shoud have constructed the link between SC277 and I-126. But now I have a new look upon the situation. It is good that we have three interstates that surround our city. Many cities suffer tremdously because interstate spurs provide faster and more access to the suburbs and outer regions. With all of this inner city growth we have come to witness the city's job market shoud continue to rise.

Just read an interesting article online about city populations. At first I believed that Columbia shoud have constructed the link between SC277 and I-126. But now I have a new look upon the situation. It is good that we have three interstates that surround our city. Many cities suffer tremdously because interstate spurs provide faster and more access to the suburbs and outer regions. With all of this inner city growth we have come to witness the city's job market shoud continue to rise.

Americans invest massively in France because we are productive etc, but also because our cities are well connected with freeways and railroads. Columbia as a star of highways and railroads can become an "international door" easily, just reinforce the airport and get a symbol-monument. Greenville (where the french firm Michelin has its headquarters for North America) and Charleston have their own domain of development and participate to the success of the state thus the capital Columbia.

Anyway, I have calculated that Columbia will "outdistance" Charleston in population, Greenville-Spartanburg is particular as a two-headed metropolis.

I've toyed with the idea of joining 277 and 126 for a while. Not that I have any means to do so, but I was just thinkin. Ultimately, I've decided though, that Cola has greatly benefited from a lack of a DT interstate. Cola does however need a better route from CAE to DT.

There was a discussion this week about turning that huge warehouse on Blossom Street (Palmetto Compress) into something. There was those that were afraid it would be torn down...but worry no more. :)

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/14840295.htm

“In the Vista, everyone wants the warehouse look, and this has the potential to be the funkiest thing in the area,” Bryant said.

Edited by BryCola

Americans invest massively in France because we are productive etc, but also because our cities are well connected with freeways and railroads. Columbia as a star of highways and railroads can become an "international door" easily, just reinforce the airport and get a symbol-monument. Greenville (where the french firm Michelin has its headquarters for North America) and Charleston have their own domain of development and participate to the success of the state thus the capital Columbia.

Anyway, I have calculated that Columbia will "outdistance" Charleston in population, Greenville-Spartanburg is particular as a two-headed metropolis.

A rail system between the state's major cities (and Charlotte), with Columbia as the focal point, would do wonders for South Carolina.

As far as the airport goes, I am uncertain of its future. I would imagine that many Columbians drive to Charlotte to fly.

Great news about the warehouse. I was hoping for something a little more innovative, but what has been proposed is great nonetheless. Pretty good price points as well. I, too, hope the numbers speak in the developer's favor.

Hum, I've always wanted to visit Chicago. Now with a non-stop flight, I think I'll actually make it a reality. It is so convenient to fly out of Columbia, instead of driving to Charlotte and paying for parking, etc... I'd rather pay a little more for that convenience and to give the Columbia airport my business.

There must not be a big difference between Columbia's and Charlotte's rates then. Greensboro's/Winston-Salem's airport is suffering due to the relative high prices of flights compared to Charlotte's. I'd hate to see Columbia's airport tank for this reason.

And you'll enjoy Chicago, I assure you. ;)

I flew to NYC last year from Columbia to La Guardia for $200 (roundtrip), which I thought was a great deal. In May I flew to Hawaii from Columbia with a lay over in ATL for only $50 more than flying out of Charlotte. I think CAE can be very competetive if they keep their prices reasonable.

Hum, I've always wanted to visit Chicago. Now with a non-stop flight, I think I'll actually make it a reality. It is so convenient to fly out of Columbia, instead of driving to Charlotte and paying for parking, etc... I'd rather pay a little more for that convenience and to give the Columbia airport my business.

I have flown to columbia many times via non-stop flights fromChicago on United Espress. Good to hear that American is offering some competition in the market. I have had to use Charlotte a couple of times at last minute, when it is really difficult to get good fares, but always try to use CAE (Columbia) when I can. I wish Southwest would start in Columbia.

I loved Chicago! Pound for pound a great large city! I just got back from there a couple of weeks ago we stayed in Skokie but we just took the metra into town. Hopefully I will be able to call it my next home soon! :D

I think the one at Richland and Huger was to be an extended stay hotel; not that one, but the other one.

After going to the developer's website, I think I'm going to be underwhelmed by this one. It doesn't appear as though this company has any experience with urban hotels, only the usual interstate EIFS-clad crap. Also, the brands tend to be more on the economy side, and there's nothing wrong with that--but this one shouldn't be, it really deserves to be a step up due to its location. The "highest" brand the developer has experience with is Hilton, and we know it won't be that, since that's the convention center hotel brand. I'm thinking along the lines of maybe a Garden Inn or more likely Residence Inn or Courtyard, both by Marriott.

I sure hope the hotel that will be a part of the Kline project will be something a bit upscale, like a Westin or W or something like that.

Edited by krazeeboi

Some prime Vista property is in the process of being cleaned up. The developers aren't saying for sure what will be built there, but they say some sort of mixed-used development is likely.

169000506000.gif

For about 100 years, a coal tar residue has been buried on the site, the former location of a gas manufacturing plant, the Columbia Gas Light Co. The cleanup is costing hundreds of thousands of dollars and involves scooping up the nonhazardous residue and hauling it to a Northeast Richland landfill. The next step in cleaning up the property includes cleansing the groundwater, which will last for about a year. Workers will put in a naturally occurring substance that cleans the groundwater.

The parcel is a little over 1

I think the one at Richland and Huger was to be an extended stay hotel; not that one, but the other one.

After going to the developer's website, I think I'm going to be underwhelmed by this one. It doesn't appear as though this company has any experience with urban hotels, only the usual interstate EIFS-clad crap. Also, the brands tend to be more on the economy side, and there's nothing wrong with that--but this one shouldn't be, it really deserves to be a step up due to its location. The "highest" brand the developer has experience with is Hilton, and we know it won't be that, since that's the convention center hotel brand. I'm thinking along the lines of maybe a Garden Inn or more likely Residence Inn or Courtyard, both by Marriott.

I sure hope the hotel that will be a part of the Kline project will be something a bit upscale, like a Westin or W or something like that.

The building's design will be up to Columbia's architectural review board. Remember, McDonald's isn't exactly the poster child for Vista-type architecture, but in Columbia they did a good job with it overall.