Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I flew to NYC last year from Columbia to La Guardia for $200 (roundtrip), which I thought was a great deal. In May I flew to Hawaii from Columbia with a lay over in ATL for only $50 more than flying out of Charlotte. I think CAE can be very competetive if they keep their prices reasonable.

sometimes, there are good deals flying out of columbia...but they have a long way to go. for example, my partner and i flew to south florida memorial day, and it was $200 cheaper per ticket to fly out of charlotte as opposed to columbia. so, we made the drive. same for albuquerque last year and my trip to austin this summer.

but, that may be changing now that columbia is getting some more traffic, and the nonstop flights to dfw and chicago.

^ It does have a ways to go.

As for the lot east of the Colonial Center, the old asphalt is being removed and some trees have been cut down. Workers that use that lot have been moved to a lot next to the new Public Health building and one behind the Carolina Colesium.

Finally; seems like they've been leveling that site off forever.

It'll be good to see some activity in the lot east of the Colonial Center in about a month.

The lot east of the Colonial Center is the one I was talking about. That's the biomedical research block. They were supposed to start turning asphalt there today or tomorrow - I forget the exact date. The Horizon Center block at Assembly and Blossom is where they have been leveling. They are finalizing the details of construction contracts for that site.

The lot east of the Colonial Center is the one I was talking about. That's the biomedical research block. They were supposed to start turning asphalt there today or tomorrow - I forget the exact date. The Horizon Center block at Assembly and Blossom is where they have been leveling. They are finalizing the details of construction contracts for that site.

They are turning asphalt today (Biomedical Block)

A West Cola development mystery! :) I spotted something tonight that I haven't seen or heard anything about yet... maybe someone here will know...

I was driving through the New Brookland area tonight and noticed that they've torn down those old low-rent apartments on B Ave, right before you get to the mill village coming down State Street (see map attached). It's a pretty substantial piece of property! Let's hope something well-designed goes in there.

Anyone know anything about what's going on here?

I don't think this is what you're referring to, but a few days back, there was a story in The State about a gated development along the Saluda River, in West Columbia I believe. I'm not a fan of those types of developments, but at least the developers did opt for single-family houses instead of a condo complex because more trees would be preserved that way.

I don't think this is what you're referring to, but a few days back, there was a story in The State about a gated development along the Saluda River, in West Columbia I believe. I'm not a fan of those types of developments, but at least the developers did opt for single-family houses instead of a condo complex because more trees would be preserved that way.

Yeah, that's going to be over off of 378. I think it's an appropriate place to build something like that. I discovered what's going on along B Avenue by the river. The developer is going to build upscale student-oriented apartments.

I was out at lunch, and drove around just a bit checking on some developements. One thing I noticed was the fenced-in parking lot and brick building across the street (towards Assembly) from the construction site of the new Hilton. There used to be a "For Sale" sign up there, but it's gone now. The building has a sign on it that says "Fleet Management has moved", and all of the vehicles that used to be in the fenced in lot are gone. Anyone have any details? It's PRIME property right in the vista, so hopefully something good is going there.

Also noticed they are ripping up the asphault in the lot across from the Colonial Center (as others have stated). Very excited to see yet another Innovista building going up. They sure aren't wasting time with Innovista...which is fine with me. :)

Edited by BryCola

I did notice that "For sale" sign in that lot you're talking about Bry. If I'm not mistaken, that was state property. Wonder what's going on with that.

I also hope something starts happening soon on the old Carolina Plaza and HOC Motel sites. Last I saw they were just big piles of dirt.

I was out at lunch, and drove around just a bit checking on some developements. One thing I noticed was the fenced-in parking lot and brick building across the street (towards Assembly) from the construction site of the new Hilton. There used to be a "For Sale" sign up there, but it's gone now. The building has a sign on it that says "Fleet Management has moved", and all of the vehicles that used to be in the fenced in lot are gone. Anyone have any details? It's PRIME proterty right in the vista, so hopefully something good is going there.

Also noticed they are ripping up the asphault in the lot across from the Colonial Center (as others have stated). Very excited to see yet another Innovista building going up. They sure aren't wasting time with Innovista...which is fine with me. :)

I noticed that sign a while back, but haven't heard anything. There are still 3 businesses on that block (a law firm, a dance studio, and IHOP). Hopefully we'll hear something soon :whistling: .

I did notice that "For sale" sign in that lot you're talking about Bry. If I'm not mistaken, that was state property. Wonder what's going on with that.

I also hope something starts happening soon on the old Carolina Plaza and HOC Motel sites. Last I saw they were just big piles of dirt.

They've leveled off the Carolina Inn lot next to the public health school and they have small 4 X 4 posts lined up. Not sure what they are doing there, but they had said whatever they did there next would be for the short term relatively.

The dirt lot where Carolina Plaza used to be is being used for parking for DOT workers that were displaced from the lot east of the Colonial Center (biomedical research block). They will park there until the new parking garage at the Biomedical block is complete, in 2 years <_< (way too long).

Edited by BrasilnSC

Hey guys, click on this link to check out this picture and tell me if the building between Meridian and the NBSC building with the light pink hue is the building that will be rehabbed into Vsion; it sure looks like it from that angle. If so, the addition of two stories will actually give it a bit of a presence looking from Gervais.

Hey guys, click on this link to check out this picture and tell me if the building between Meridian and the NBSC building with the light pink hue is the building that will be rehabbed into Vsion; it sure looks like it from that angle. If so, the addition of two stories will actually give it a bit of a presence looking from Gervais.

Yep, thats it! You can tell by the church directly behind it.

I think the addtion of two floors and using the contemporary design will really benefit the skyline. If you can see it from that part of Gervais, I am sure those units will have some great views of Cola.

Thought so. It won't make as big of an impact as Meridian, or even First Citizens, but it'll get noticed. Hopefully the architecture will make it stand out even more.