Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

• 1 month later...

Sad news today. Rockaways Athletic Club will serve its last pimento cheese burger, and pour its last libations, Sunday night. This was a place that truly felt like home away from home. I had so many good times there..in my 20's, 30's, 40's, and as recently as two weeks ago. I spent every Monday for two years straight, in the 90's, at Rockaways for 25 cent shrimp and oysters and pitchers of Pilsner Urquell, with my crew of degenerates. When the power went out in Shandon, it was where we all flocked, not because the kitchen was serving food, but because the beer was cold, and because I knew that everyone in my friend circle would show up there. It was a place with no signage-you had to know about it, to even notice it from the street. Everyone was welcome..black and white, blue collar and professional..everybody..that is, as long as you knew the rules. The rules, simply put were to treat all with respect, and don't ever complain about anything- that would get you banned for life, and that was a punishment beyond all punishments. The old place (the real RAC) burned in 2002. The new place opened in a new building a block away in 2004. It was too bright, and clean..reminded me of an Applebees. It never really recaptured the original ambiance. However, the people still came, and there were many, many good times still had. RIP Rockaways. Your demise is unfortunately just another example of a local institution being bulldozed for a Walgreens or developed into some new restaurant (see Yesterdays, which is now Ruby Sunshine), which lacks character and characters. The developer is local, so here's to hoping the restaurant space being leased, will at least pay some homage to the legacy of what once was.  https://www.postandcourier.com/columbia/business/rockaway-rosewood-sc-columbia-closure-bar-restuarant/article_5b4879b8-b47b-11ee-b1d1-2367d6a75e52.html

• 2 weeks later...