Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

That's a sweet idea. Something built in that art deco style would be awesome.

It sure would; I have always said the old Greyhound depot should be a discotheque.

We could call it:

The Dog Track

The Bus Station

The L'autobus (my favorite, something like the Moulin Rouge) (I have my annual Bastille Day party on the brain)

It looks like the Columbia MSA is about to get a national tourist attraction, an all terrain vehicle megapark in Fairfield County. There's an article about it in The State this morning. There will be camping among a massive network of trails over hills that afford views for miles around, and into vales that plunge the depths of the area's topography. The article says that at night you can see the glow of Columbia's lights on the horizon from the highest point in the park. They expect 2000 people on a typical weekend and big events that draw 10,000 and more. It will be convenient to Columbia from I-77 for those ATV-ers who like the atmosphere of a city larger than Winnsboro or Camden. But the article says Winnsboro is readying some shops for those who wander into town. Some of the park patrons may opt for a longer drive into Charlotte for an evening before coming back to camp. In general, all of the cities and towns within a reasonable distance should get some patronage; the park is going to be attractive to ATV-ers from all over the nation, the article says.

It sure would; I have always said the old Greyhound depot should be a discotheque.

We could call it:

The Dog Track

The Bus Station

The L'autobus (my favorite, something like the Moulin Rouge) (I have my annual Bastille Day party on the brain)

I have many fond memories of going to the old Greyhound depot as a child to pick up or drop off my great grandmother when she would take the bus into town from Timmonsville to visit us. Going there and to the old Cogburn's Steak House (used to be downtown I think where the Wilbur Smith building is now) are some of my earliest "urban" memories, and probably helped spark my lifelong interest in city life. This would have been during the late 60s-early 70s.

I love the Greyhound station in Cola. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, so I don't think it could be 'built over' without losing that. I would just build an architectural compatible tower next to it. The Station could serve as the clubhouse/mangement office/cocierage for the project.

1520 Main is looking great, much nicer than the rendering.

I love the Greyhound station in Cola. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, so I don't think it could be 'built over' without losing that. I would just build an architectural compatible tower next to it. The Station could serve as the clubhouse/mangement office/cocierage for the project.

1520 Main is looking great, much nicer than the rendering.

That's a great idea. I've always loved the old Greyhound station and I remember it well.

I just got an email from COR, Columbia Opportunity Resource, about a new lecture series envisioning the future of Columbia beginning July 19 at the Summit Club. The series is sponsored by First Citizen's Bank and the Moore School of Business Center for Manufacturing and Technology and will last one year. It will begin at 5:30 p.m. and costs only $5 for non-COR members. The series is called Columbia 20/20. Topics will include alternative fuels, health care, transportation and the city's economy. On the 19th, they will discuss "The Anti-Sprawl: Columbia's rapid and concentrated growth." They will be focusing on the new life being created in downtown Columbia. Visit their website for more information. I think it's [email protected].