Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

USC says in The State today that they will start turning asphalt on June 26th in the biomedical research block between the Colonial Center and the Koger Center. They say if all goes as scheduled, the research building and parking garage should be completed in 2008.

USC says in The State today that they will start turning asphalt on June 26th in the biomedical research block between the Colonial Center and the Koger Center. They say if all goes as scheduled, the research building and parking garage should be completed in 2008.

I had no idea that construction was beginning so soon. All right!

I had no idea that construction was beginning so soon. All right!

I didn't either. I had seen people testing the area but thought it would take longer to start construction. That's a lot of construction going on in

this area just a few blocks apart; I love it. I wonder where the people who use that

lot are going to park.

Edited by BrasilnSC

I'm so glad; that has got to be my least favorite spot in downtown Columbia.

When people familiar with Columbia from the view of the Blossom Street bridge over the rail road tracks get their first view of downtown from that bridge in a couple of years, they are going to be shocked out of their minds. Already it is very impressive compared to when the steel mill and the antique warehouse flanked Blossom and the Colonial Center and fitness center weren't there. With the Horizon Center, Adesso and the biomedical research building, it is going to be dense and beautiful.

When people familiar with Columbia from the view of the Blossom Street bridge over the rail road tracks get their first view of downtown from that bridge in a couple of years, they are going to be shocked out of their minds. Already it is very impressive compared to when the steel mill and the antique warehouse flanked Blossom and the Colonial Center and fitness center weren't there. With the Horizon Center, Adesso and the biomedical research building, it is going to be dense and beautiful.

I agree . . just am concerned about the gargantuan and exceedingly handsome Palmetto Compress warehouse on the left as you cross the overpass on Blossom. It is not only historic and aesthetically pleasing, it could be a MAJOR success as a redevelopment. Say, as a mixed use of bars, restaurants, and shops, a la an urban, historic "mall". The market is primo--students, young professionals from Adesso, Olympia Mills, The Vista, The Avenues, and the list grows daily . . .

Does anyone know anything about the future of this substantial and important Capital City building? :unsure:

I agree . . just am concerned about the gargantuan and exceedingly handsome Palmetto Compress warehouse on the left as you cross the overpass on Blossom. It is not only historic and aesthetically pleasing, it could be a MAJOR success as a redevelopment. Say, as a mixed use of bars, restaurants, and shops, a la an urban, historic "mall". The market is primo--students, young professionals from Adesso, Olympia Mills, The Vista, The Avenues, and the list grows daily . . .

Does anyone know anything about the future of this substantial and important Capital City building? :unsure:

I've always said that would be an awesome building to open the world's biggest discotheque.

A West Cola development mystery! :) I spotted something tonight that I haven't seen or heard anything about yet... maybe someone here will know...

I was driving through the New Brookland area tonight and noticed that they've torn down those old low-rent apartments on B Ave, right before you get to the mill village coming down State Street (see map attached). It's a pretty substantial piece of property! Let's hope something well-designed goes in there.

Anyone know anything about what's going on here?

post-615-1150351897_thumb.jpg

Edited by emerging.me

I agree -- that building, from the exterior, is attractive in a historical sort of way. On the inside however, the building looks like it is near collapse. A band I was in 8 years ago used to practice there. I'm not sure at what point a building is no longer salvagable. In some ways it looks similar to the confederate printing press photos so perhaps the could be revived. Definately a good location.

A West Cola development mystery! :) I spotted something tonight that I haven't seen or heard anything about yet... maybe someone here will know...

I was driving through the New Brookland area tonight and noticed that they've torn down those old low-rent apartments on B Ave, right before you get to the mill village coming down State Street (see map attached). It's a pretty substantial piece of property! Let's hope something well-designed goes in there.

Anyone know anything about what's going on here?

Let's just hope it isn't going to be another elitist, gated community like the hideous development across the street on the river - the one with the faux stone wall. How can someone build a development of half million dollar + homes and erect a FAUX stone wall? It is a disgrace IMO.

Let's just hope it isn't going to be another elitist, gated community like the hideous development across the street on the river - the one with the faux stone wall. How can someone build a development of half million dollar + homes and erect a FAUX stone wall? It is a disgrace IMO.

Hahaha. I know, right! It is the perfect microcasm of all the frustrating things about the redevelopment going on. There are so many great things, but there are also just laughably bad design ideas.

I hope the new development will be something "cool". That'd be the perfect place to do something creative and outside the box. I'll post more if I hear something. May make some calls tomorrow...

Edited by emerging.me

I am very excited for the city of Columbia. I have a question though. With all of this residential building in the downtown area, around the stadium, annexation around Clemson Rd. and East Columbia wouldn't it be safe to say that Columbia will probably see a substantial growth in population and secure its place as the state's largest city?

I agree. I have soooo much love for Charleston, but I don't see it surpassing Columbia. Columbia's central location and low cost of living will drive more people towards this area.

Does anyone remember that survey that showed the greatest number of people that moved to South Carolina from out of state first considered Charleston, but the greatest number that actually moved here ended up choosing Columbia?

Does anyone remember that survey that showed the greatest number of people that moved to South Carolina from out of state first considered Charleston, but the greatest number that actually moved here ended up choosing Columbia?

Yeah, Columbia is a stealer!!!! By the time Innovista moves into full swing I can't see any sc city coming close

I remember. It just shows that people don't know much about Columbia. When they hear about SC they think Charleston, but after visiting Columbia, they end up liking it. COLUMBIA :wub:

Edited by BrasilnSC