Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Seems as though Richland County may just be getting a new courthouse in the not-too-distant future. A blurb from the Free Times:

Richland County Council expects to replace its existing courthouse on Main Street in the not so distant future, but will likely pour more money into renovating the building before that happens. Interim County Administrator Milton Pope explained to council members May 9 that flooding on the fourth floor has been destroying furniture and office equipment. Drains on an outside patio do not work properly and, during heavy rain, the water pushes through the door seams into the building. Lawyers and judges requested a study of the building they called "dilapidated" to see if it can meet the courthouse needs with renovation or if a new building is necessary. Council members expect the study to suggest building a new courthouse.

At the rear of the three story white building at Gervais and Lincoln (the building facing Liberty Tap Room), they have started blasting the white paint off the building. For all you brick haters out there, it would seem that that white building will soon be a natural brick building. It, along with the Columbia Supply Co. building and the adjacent lot they cleared off all the way through to Lady Street, is all being developed by the Ben Arnold Company. They said soon after purchasing the properties that the development was going to be a Vista focal point. And changes to the exterior of the white building were recently approved by the architectural review board.

Have we heard about The Lofts at Printers Square?

"11 luxury lofts in a prime location in the heart of the Vista on the corner of Lady and Pulaski. Without a question, the best location in the Vista.

Concrete & steel construction with a tumbled brick exterior. The extra-large terraces provide a breathtaking view of the city skyline. Green Building environmental and energy features. Exposed brick interior walls. 12' - 13' ceilings. Covered parking."

See image.

"11 luxury lofts in a prime location in the heart of the Vista on the corner of Lady and Pulaski. Without a question, the best location in the Vista.

Concrete & steel construction with a tumbled brick exterior. The extra-large terraces provide a breathtaking view of the city skyline. Green Building environmental and energy features. Exposed brick interior walls. 12' - 13' ceilings. Covered parking."

See image.

That sounds nice, but I don't understand people's attraction to exposed brick interior walls.

About time something about this project showed up; I was starting to think it might have been shelved for the time being. At least one penthouse in this development is supposed to go for $1 million.

They wanted to get the Athlete's Factory moved before proceeding. It is now in the Tapp's Building. I really like the rendering....very green and full of life. Only 4 stories, but a very nice addition to the Vista right next to Publix and Trustus Theatre. I think the appeal of exposed brick interior walls is that it gives a space an historic feel.

Yeah, the renderings actually remind me a bit of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon....on an extremely smaller scale, of course. :P

Did anyone get a chance to read today's (or by this time, yesterday's) edition of The State? Great info on new downtown residents and the city's healthy, relatively untapped condo market. I think that what puts Columbia in a great position here is that its downtown is already user-friendly and gives off an "everyday" type of appeal, and combined with the "eclecticity" of the Vista and the increasing number of downtown residents and the very nearby emerging centers of activity (e.g., mill villages, Williams-Brice area, Vista West), Columbia will be hard to beat in terms of true urbanity within the coming years.

Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that the "downtown booster" articles appeared on the front page along with the article describing the suburban traffic nightmares in the city, particularly in NE Richland. I hope someone gets a clue... :whistling:

Edited by krazeeboi

See image.

Are you saying you have heard something recently? If not, yes we have all heard about it. It was in the paper a good while back. I'm beginning to wonder when it's going to happen. The Athlete Factory moved weeks ago.

Yeah, the renderings actually remind me a bit of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon....on an extremely smaller scale, of course. :P

Did anyone get a chance to read today's (or by this time, yesterday's) edition of The State? Great info on new downtown residents and the city's healthy, relatively untapped condo market. I think that what puts Columbia in a great position here is that its downtown is already user-friendly and gives off an "everyday" type of appeal, and combined with the "eclecticity" of the Vista and the increasing number of downtown residents and the very nearby emerging centers of activity (e.g., mill villages, Williams-Brice area, Vista West), Columbia will be hard to beat in terms of true urbanity within the coming years.

Also, I don't think it's a coincidence that the "downtown booster" articles appeared on the front page along with the article describing the suburban traffic nightmares in the city, particularly in NE Richland. I hope someone gets a clue... :whistling:

I noted what Pat Mason of Carolinas Living said in the article: that their survey of over 50,000 showed that most people list Charleston as their most preferred city when first inquiring about relocating to South Carolina, but that when it actually comes moving time more of them move to Columbia. Mr. Mason offered some reasons such as the university, affordability and convenience between the coast and the mountains.

I noted what Pat Mason of Carolinas Living said in the article: that their survey of over 50,000 showed that most people list Charleston as their most preferred city when first inquiring about relocating to South Carolina, but that when it actually comes moving time more of them move to Columbia. Mr. Mason offered some reasons such as the university, affordability and convenience between the coast and the mountains.

So Charleston is our bait and then they look at Columbia and see they can have the best of both worlds - less than 2 hours to either the beach or the mountains.

So Charleston is our bait and then they look at Columbia and see they can have the best of both worlds - less than 2 hours to either the beach or the mountains.

With gently rolling green hills, a lake and rivers, and a clean and modern city full of flowers and genuinely friendly people, with no hurricanes or evacuation traffic and virtually no ice or snow.

And a world class zoo, some of the largest museums in the Southeast, several parks, thriving institutions of higher learning, including the state's flagship downtown, and not to mention the lowest housing prices of the state's major metros--more bang for your buck.

The Huger Street corridor is getting two new hotels soon, with plans for completion sometime next year. Charlotte-based Sree Hospitality Group LLC plans to build a $15 million hotel with at least 120 rooms at Huger and Lady streets. Naman Hospitality, based in Florence, said it will spend about $13 million to build a five-story, 93-unit extended-stay hotel at Huger and Richland streets, across from Trustus theater.

No brands have been anounced yet. Apparently the hotel that Sree is building will be located right across from the Kline development, which will have its own hotel. For those two, I'm hoping it will be one of the following: Embassy Suites, Marriott Courtyard, Radisson, Crowne Plaza (a bit of a stretch, but I think that would fit will with the Kline development), Hyatt, DoubleTree, or heck, why not Aloft?

I think it's about time more hotels started coming online in DT Columbia. Perhaps this is a sign that the city is becoming more of a destination?

Edited by krazeeboi

The bit about Trustus is misplaced in their story. It confused me for a sec.

That's really cool news though. I had heard about the Lady and Huger project -- the design is going to be stellar on that. It's going to play well off of the impressive Kline design that will oppose it. That several-block area will have some of the best building design in the state -- if not *the* best. Those Kline plans need to go public! :)

I saw that lot at Richland and Huger had finally sold and wondered what they were gonna put there. There will be wrecks every day right there unless they do something like extend Williams Street to connect it back there.

I have also heard that the Holiday Inn across from the Coliseum is being eyed by another investor group that hopes to place a different hotel there -- a complete gutting and redesign.

Yeah, the Trustus location was a bit misleading. And I see what you mean about Williams Street. It needs to connect back up to Richland to make a grid around the hotel property.

And I hope your source was right on the Holiday Inn--not the worst looking hotel, but could definitely stand some TLC.