Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Matt, that's a pretty old postcard, isn't it? Looks like I see the Jefferson Hotel or something similar to it.

I kind of wish the rendering was in color, but from what I see, it looks like they are going to do the best they can with what they have to work with. I like the fact that it will be glassy, though; we can give brick a rest for at least one development. I'd also hope the entrance doesn't have one of those tent-like thingeys with "Capitol Places" written across the front; something metallic and modern would go better methinks.

Since the building doesn't take up a full block, it looks like there may be a small plaza on the side hidden from view in the rendering perhaps?

As promised, here are the pictures of the building that will become Vsion. It looks like 2 stories will be added to the top of the building for the penthouses. I have also included some pictures of surrounding structures since nobody seems to really know where this building is.

vsion%20currently%201.jpg

vsion%20currently%202.jpg

vsion%20currently%203.jpg

The 2 Keenan Buildings are across the street from the site of Vsion on the south side of Lady Street. The 29201 post office is housed in the reflective glass building, too.

keenan%20bldg%20and%20annex.jpg

1st Presbyterian Church (1795) is on the NE corner of Marion and Lady:

1st%20pres.jpg

SCE&G has an office on the SE corner:

sceg.jpg

I took some other pictures today, too, but there was something on the lens and I don't like the way they turned out (or these either).

Wow I never gave that thing the time of day. LOL.

Me neither; it's kind of nondescript, but hopefully the renovation will have some wow factor involved. I thought I had another picture of it; this is one I took from the Barringer Building during the Urban Access Columbia tour.

se%20from%20the%20barringer%20bldg%202.jpg

Thanks Waccamatt! You da man!

I rememeber this building now, but I understand why I 'forgot' it. It is pretty nondescript. I also wonder if the area where the two story building is now (on the corner of Lady and Marion) will be parking or a plaza area. I wonder if the building will be all glass or will there be 'banding' between the floors. I might actually prefer that.

They're breaking ground on that 6-story condo project on Main and Blosson

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/14696192.htm

Yes, and I noticed that the Holder spokesman quoted in the article said they "'will have a development next year' as opposed to other announced projects, such as the Bull Street Neighborhood slated for the old State Hospital campus and the Guignard property on the riverfront."

"'We will beat other folks to the market,' he said. 'We feel like we're ahead of the curve.'"

Speaking of new projects... I could be mistaken, but I believe I saw a nondescript sign posted on the vacant lot at Huger and Blossom -- the one directly across from the gas station and old Harley shop -- about condos coming. It may have been promoting something else, but I'm not sure. I'll check it out when I drive back by later this week -- or someone else can report if they're out and about.

Edited by emerging.me

I saw that sign while I was in town Sunday and took a picture of it. I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about it. It mentioned luxury townhomes.

Nice. Can you post the picture?? Was it promoting something that will be built at that location or was it an ad for some other project?? I couldn't tell when I initially noticed it -- only saw it for a few seconds in the rear view. I had assumed it was for a project at that location, but "luxury townhomes" ... now that I think about it... seems like it's probably an advertisement for the Whaley Row development (see Olympia thread), which would make sense given the location. Here's a map showing the lot we're talking about where the sign is posted. Regardless of what the sign is for, they need to do a mid-rise condo development there. :)

post-615-1149019791_thumb.jpg

Edited by emerging.me

Waccamatt got us started with these and I made a few additions/revisions. I'm up for suggestions on how we could best format this and track the projects.

Blue = Proposed

Green = Under Construction

First Citizens Tower downtown

Main Street Beautification downtown

CanalSide

Kline Iron and Steel site office buildings

The Spur at Williams-Brice

Gameday Condos near USC

Hardee Expressway (airport area)

The Village at Sandhill (huge development)

Lexington Medical Center second tower

Palmetto Richland Memorial Hospital Heart surgery wing

Palmetto Richland Hospital in Irmo

Providence Hospital NE expansion

Harden St/Five Points beautification

Lady Street (Vista) beautification

Renaissance Plaza in the Vista

New USC School of Public Health

Convention Center Hilton Vista/Downtown (land clearing underway, design approval pending)

USC Research Campus (two 5-story office bldgs to begin construction soon)

Benedict College football stadium and wellness center

Two Notch Road widening

Blythewood High School

Congaree Village on WC riverbank

The City Club condos/townhouses across from State Museum

State Hospital Site

Canal Front Development

Please post any additions or revisions you can think of and we'll go from there. Eventually I'd like to do a fly-over style map marking all of them and their various stages of development.

Talk about a needed update...LOL.

Some recent construction pics of Renaissance Plaza:

renaissanceplaza3.jpg

renaissanceplaza2.jpg

renaissanceplaza1.jpg

I have a feeling that parcel in the foreground in the last picture at Wayne and Hampton won't stay vacant for long. I could see a small mixed-use project being built there, with stores and shops fronting Hampton.

Edited by krazeeboi

renaissanceplaza1.jpg

I have a feeling that parcel in the foreground in the last picture at Wayne and Hampton won't stay vacant for long. I could see a small mixed-use project being built there, with stores and shops fronting Hampton.

Yeah, all of that kudzu needs to be destroyed ASAP.

I've noticed something of a progression with Capitol Places. The company's first few projects were adaptive reuse (Kress, Tapp's, etc.). Currently, 1520 Main is being built from the ground up among other buildings that line Main Street. Vsion will be rehabbed from an older building. Could the next project be a stand-alone mid-rise or high-rise built from the ground up?

I've noticed something of a progression with Capitol Places. The company's first few projects were adaptive reuse (Kress, Tapp's, etc.). Currently, 1520 Main is being built from the ground up among other buildings that line Main Street. Vsion will be rehabbed from an older building. Could the next project be a stand-alone mid-rise or high-rise built from the ground up?

everybody's on their toes waiting!!!

The Battery at Arsenal Hill now has a website. I'm kinda diggin' the site plan. Even better, here's the description: "Imagine stepping out of your house onto the sidewalk of a new city street. Notice how garages are not the focus of the surrounding homes. Notice the variety of home styles and architectural details. This is a neighborhood that invites you to walk. Here in The Battery at Arsenal Hill walking is not just a destination it is an experience."

Somebody gets it. :thumbsup:

Edited by krazeeboi

^Those look nice, very colonial.

On another note, what is going on with Rosewood Hills? Work has been been halted for a few months now. I know they had some delays with underground cables, but the site is always completely deserted. Get on with it please.