Greenville Drive Baseball

Is the grass on the grass berm still alive or is that dying too?

It's showing some signs of wear and tear, too...of course, it has been since very early in the season. I had kidded Nate that they could turn that part of it into a sand box for the kids.

The field looks to have been mowed very low and the turf isn't reacting very well to it. I couldn't tell because I wasn't down on it to see if those were plugs, but it seems that they've aerated it, too. The turf behind home plate had been replaced several weeks ago. Now, there is new turf along the seams between the infileld and the outfield, and down the base lines. There appears to have been some overseeding as well, in areas. I'd be curious to know exactly what has happened to call for all of this effort at once or if it's just coincidence that it has all happened at once.

Greenville News article discussing grass problems... from about a week ago...

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....607120387/1002/

Thanks, Brian! This explains much. The thought that the Rye (a cool season grass) had died due to the recent hot weather and the Bermuda (a warm season grass) hadn't yet begun to take hold did cross my mind. I have encountered the same thing on my own lawn that first spring. However, I thought for some reason that this field was entirely Bermuda with some Kentucky Blue Grass mixed in, not Rye. Either way, a cool season grass is a cool season grass is a cool season grass and they don't react well to warm hot sunny weather. It'll be nice to see the Bermuda flourish. It looks dead and brown at the moment on most of the field. :sick:

Thanks, Brian! This explains much. The thought that the Rye (a cool season grass) had died due to the recent hot weather and the Bermuda (a warm season grass) hadn't yet begun to take hold did cross my mind. I have encountered the same thing on my own lawn that first spring. However, I thought for some reason that this field was entirely Bermuda with some Kentucky Blue Grass mixed in, not Rye. Either way, a cool season grass is a cool season grass is a cool season grass and they don't react well to warm hot sunny weather. It'll be nice to see the Bermuda flourish. It looks dead and brown at the moment on most of the field. :sick:

Lots of fields, designed for multiple season work, face this sort of problem their first year or so of existence.

Remember the grass here was sodded in March, so all things considered, the field is doing what you would expect for its first season. No amount of water could really change this. It just takes time for the grass to mature. I would be surprised if this problem happened next year due to more maturity in the grass.

Anytime I've tried to get a lawn going in the spring, it has failed. You can't get an undeveloped root system to sustain turf through the summertime here. It's not even about watering -- which comes fraught with its own perils if you try to save a lawn from heat by overwatering. It's about time. Time for roots to grow. Water and shade are no substitute for giving turf the time it needs to put down its roots. And this field wasn't laid down until very, very, very late in the spring. Give it a winter to grab hold of the soil and it should make it through next summer in good condition.

On another note, as we follow players on their way up through the system into The Show, there are also the stories of disappointment.

Today's stories of hope and disappointment star Aaron Bates, called up from the Lowell Spinners and Logan Sorensen, who was released from the Red Sox organization.

194526079_5b329e8ffb.jpg

Edited by Fiddlestix

On another note, as we follow players on their way up through the system into The Show, there are also the stories of disappointment.

Today's stories of hope and disappointment star Aaron Bates, called up from the Lowell Spinners and Logan Sorensen, who was released from the Red Sox organization.

194526079_5b329e8ffb.jpg

At first I thought they were just busy, but I guess I see it's not a priority for the Drive to regularly update their website. The latest "transaction of players" is in May.

I signed up for their email list, never heard anything from them. Seems odd, that's a real cheap way to build a fan base and keep folks up to date. The Grrrowl had a nice weekly email with news, etc. they sent out.

Fortunately, Fiddlestix has been doing an outstanding job of keeping us up-to-date with important press releases which are not posted on their web site for this very same reason, which he had cited previously.

Thanks, Fiddlestix! :thumbsup:

I'll mention this lack of information on the web site to Nate the next time I speak to him (which is nearly every game I attend).

Fortunately, Fiddlestix has been doing an outstanding job of keeping us up-to-date with important press releases which are not posted on their web site for this very same reason, which he had cited previously.

Thanks, Fiddlestix! :thumbsup:

I'll mention this lack of information on the web site to Nate the next time I speak to him (which is nearly every game I attend).

You're welcome.

Now, this next item isn't in any press release. And there's the smallest possibility that it's just coincidence. But has anyone seen Nate Lipscomb and Myron Noodleman together, same place, same time? I hate to get all Oliver Stone here, but do you see what I'm getting at?

195859366_bfbac207ac.jpg

Or were they simply separated at birth?

195859300_c4be44f78e.jpg

Nate Noodleman?

Edited by Fiddlestix

The Drive/West End Field management are amazing and brilliant.

Best moment of the night for me in the USA vs. Japan game... Daniel Moskos, Clemson pitcher, comes on to close the game for USA in the 9th and they play Tiger Rag over the loud speaker and the crowd goes into a good cadence count. He then knocks them down 1-2-3.

Great crowd, really hope that West End Field can be a site for some good Clemson games in the future.

Oh yeah, go USA! win 5-0 over Japan.