CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

This is great. I have just joined a company in Atlanta where one of my projects is the McBee Station Apartments. I've not been to the site yet, but plan to next week. We have already started drilling for the elevators and will be pouring the retaining wall and slabs with in 30 days (weather permiting). I was surprised to see a thread on this development and have scanned through the history of it. It looks like you all have been tracking this for a while. It will definitely be a quality product and I'm glad to see all the enthusiasm for it.

By the way, I was also responsible for the Walgreens at Augusta and Faris. That was when I was with a different company. I seem to keep winding up in Greenville. I'm not complaining, It's a great city and seems to have a very good hand on its progress.

We already got that one wall completed all the way through. We had to rack the block back so they could set some big metal structural beams. We will run that side wall up tomorrow about 8 more courses. good pics btw. The walls should go up 34 feet on the publix. We will have to add one more extension on top of our scaffold in order to top them out. I think it will at least be close to being as tall as the bridge when the walls are done. I think the condos are going to be 4 stories that will be around the publix.

• 2 weeks later...

Letting you all know that we have two of the walls above the bridge now. There final height will be as tall as our tallest section we have now. The condos will be 15 ft taller than that. I think it will look very nice once its all done. A very nice addition to downtown and the peacock hotel being there also.

• 3 weeks later...

Having done work on Publix and the surrounding condos and some on the Staples I will be glad to see the finished results. Does anyone know what the apartments will be going for? Will they be for rent or will they be for sale and overpriced like every other place downtown?

Having done work on Publix and the surrounding condos and some on the Staples I will be glad to see the finished results. Does anyone know what the apartments will be going for? Will they be for rent or will they be for sale and overpriced like every other place downtown?

There will be 22 condos and about 200 apartments (rental). The apartments will probably be at the top of the rental market locally, given they are brand new and very conveniently located. I would guess the 1 BR's start in the $700-800 per month range.

The publix is changing. We topped out the gable on the main entrance. Its about 43 ft tall and comes to a point. This will eventually be a giant square with brick all around it with the publix sign up on it. Also we started the brick on the front of the publix. Most of the steel is set inside and the staples is getting the footings ready to have block layed on them.

later,

Evan

At one point in time (about ten years ago), there was fairly serious talk of building apartments or condos there. With the current pace of new residential development downtown, I don't know how much impact it would have on the market. A nice development of affordable units would make sense, but other options (office and retail) make sense as well. I would really love to see a large mixed-use development there, but that would likely not happen for many years.

• 2 weeks later...