CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

^Indeed. I am looking forward to seeng more construction on the units that face McBee St, as that large blank wall is rather disconcerting ;) Any ideas when that will start?

I also learned a couple of months ago that McBee is pronounced "MacBe" (less emphases on the "e") and not "Mick-Bee" like one would think it would be pronounced. Greenville needs to spread this word around somehow. It was definitely an adjustment on my part, but I'm glad to know that I am now pronouncing it correctly! I suppose every town has its streets that aren't pronounced the way they are spelled :)

I also learned a couple of months ago that McBee is pronounced "MacBe" (less emphases on the "e") and not "Mick-Bee" like one would think it would be pronounced. Greenville needs to spread this word around somehow. It was definitely an adjustment on my part, but I'm glad to know that I am now pronouncing it correctly! I suppose every town has its streets that aren't pronounced the way they are spelled :)

Haha, you're right. Somehow, or it seems to me, that Columbia got the word out on Huger Street. Maybe less people know its pronunciation, but from my experience it seems to be known fairly well. McBee seems a little too normal, though, for people to really question themselves when they say it. So, I think it will always be both ways.

Spartan, are you sure McBee isn't pronounced Mick-Bee? I am curious to know who authoritatively told you otherwise. I have always heard it pronounced that way, and never as Mac-Be. Hmm...

You should attend a Cafe and Then Some performance some time (at least one where they refer to "Vardry Mack Bee" :rofl:

Spartan, are you sure McBee isn't pronounced Mick-Bee? I am curious to know who authoritatively told you otherwise. I have always heard it pronounced that way, and never as Mac-Be. Hmm...

I have always heard (and said) both, but from what I understand, Vardry McBee pronounced it Mac-be. I guess that, much like Brett Favre, his name was just spelled wrong.

Yep, I'm sure. I have had several native Greenvillians tell me this on separate occasions. I've also talked to people at the City and other agencies that have told me the same thing. It took some adjustment on my part to get the hang of that "incorrect" pronunciation :)

I also learned how to pronounce "Dunean" and "Sans Souci."

Yep, I'm sure. I have had several native Greenvillians tell me this on separate occasions. I've also talked to people at the City and other agencies that have told me the same thing. It took some adjustment on my part to get the hang of that "incorrect" pronunciation :)

I also learned how to pronounce "Dunean" and "Sans Souci."

My whole life I have heard it pronounced Mack Bee and not Mick Be. Only in recent years have I heard it said the latter way and not the former. And yes, the man's name was pronounced Vardry Mack Bee.

My whole life I have heard it pronounced Mack Bee and not Mick Be. Only in recent years have I heard it said the latter way and not the former. And yes, the man's name was pronounced Vardry Mack Bee.

Interestingly enough, I first learned of my mispronunciation while I was walking by Vardry McBee's grave in the old cemetary behind the Episcopal church in the Petigru neighborhood.

The "MacBee" gravestones in Springwood Cemetery also tell the true tale of the name. I believe that is where Vardry is buried, instead of the Christ Episcopal Church cemetery, if I remember correctly.

Oh, maybe so. He has family in the Episcopal Church then (at least according to the gravestones)

I looking forward to seeing the peacock go up and see something different cause i get to see Mcbee station everyday. The brick was a good choice although i was skeptical at first. Brick layers are picky about some kinds of brick but these turned out alright. I worked on the brick arch that is closest to church street bridge if anyone can zoom in enough to take a picture of it. the scaffold might be in the way though. We are not even an 1/8 of the way started on this.. you still have the condos, apartments, and staples which have not even got off the ground good yet. I would expect the condos to start soon. It appeared today they were laying the walls out on the side closest to church street where the condos are going to be.

Thanks for the comment on the brick. Im there laying them everyday. We are building a 22 foot wide bullseye on the publix main entrance out of brick soldiers and it should turn out very well. I dont think you can go wrong with brick considering so many buildings in downtown are brick veneer. Some of the newer architecture contrast nicely with brick though.

Thanks man. We are building a 22 foot wide bullseye out of brick on the main entrance. It is the biggest bullseye many of us have every built but it is going to look great. Also the side with the harper sign on it will get brick also. At first they wanted stucco but now they have changed their mind to brick because it looked funny with that little 4 foot section going down the wall then going to stucco. We are also going to be the ones bricking the condos more than likely. Time will tell but i can definetly see the publix being open by march or april. On a side note the very top corner on the main entrance of the publix is around 44 ft tall. the condos will be around 50 ft probably and they will be on the back of the publix and wrapping around to the main entrance. The staples will have condos and storefront on the back also.

Edited by erm1981