CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

It seems Certus Bank wants to be a big time player in the banking world. It would be great if they can do it from Greenville. It is interesting that these execs from Charlotte's big banks wanted to start up their new venture away from Charlotte. Are they trying to escape the taint of the problems at Wachovia and BoA?

In Charlotte, they would be a small fish in a big pond. Here, they will be a big fish in a smaller pond.

It seems Certus Bank wants to be a big time player in the banking world. It would be great if they can do it from Greenville. It is interesting that these execs from Charlotte's big banks wanted to start up their new venture away from Charlotte. Are they trying to escape the taint of the problems at Wachovia and BoA?

Good article on the growth of Certus and the fact they are very well capitalized:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/05/21/2313355/certusbank-expands-into-georgia.html

26 new branches taken over in Georgia this week.

I went to the announcement with four co-workers. Two early-30s guys. One mid-20s girl. One mid-50s guy. And one mid-40s woman. Pretty nice cross-section of people. Of the five of us, only the mid-40s woman was even remotely interested about Anthropologie. Even the mid-20s girl gave it a big "meh."

Again...yes, it is an impressive name. But this is absolutely not a centerpiece store. It is a great complementary store. And places like this are very trendy and come and go with the times. I will absolutely 100% guarantee that in 10 years, Anthropologie will not be there. It's an accessory, a side attraction, somewhere to go after the main event. Without a true anchor store to support it, Anthropologie will stick out like a very upscale sore thumb.

I will absolutely 100% guarantee that in 10 years, Anthropologie will not be there. It's an accessory, a side attraction, somewhere to go after the main event. Without a true anchor store to support it, Anthropologie will stick out like a very upscale sore thumb.

I don't think you realize how large of a company Anthropologie/Urban Outfitters is. Saying they will close within 10 years is like saying Apple will. Not gonna happen.

It's Anthropologie and CertusBank.

retail.original.png

Will Certus be on the first floor or is that space under them available for retail? I've been reading so much that I can't remember if that was clarified or not. That would possibly be the better spot for an anchor store anyways, facing Main...

And if B&N doesn't want to join in maybe Borders would? I know Joseph-Beth was mentioned way earlier in this thread, but their Southpark store closed so I don't really see that happening if they couldn't stay open there. (then again, everyone living in the Southpark area probably has multiple iPads and iPhones that they read books on tongue.gif)

The first floor CERTUS is for a branch office. The HQ functions are on the higher floors.

Hmm, that's cool for them I guess. A store or restaurant (California Pizza Kitchen anyone???) would be great for ground level facing Main, but oh well.

It is funny to see what actually is planned here, after hearing and reading so many rumors over the past few months.

Oh, and the signature highrise portion is not dead. It will be one of the later phases...

Good to hear...that probably won't be announced until at least Phase 1 is complete will it? I wanna see a rendering noooooooooow!

I went to the announcement with four co-workers. Two early-30s guys. One mid-20s girl. One mid-50s guy. And one mid-40s woman. Pretty nice cross-section of people. Of the five of us, only the mid-40s woman was even remotely interested about Anthropologie. Even the mid-20s girl gave it a big "meh."

Again...yes, it is an impressive name. But this is absolutely not a centerpiece store. It is a great complementary store. And places like this are very trendy and come and go with the times. I will absolutely 100% guarantee that in 10 years, Anthropologie will not be there. It's an accessory, a side attraction, somewhere to go after the main event. Without a true anchor store to support it, Anthropologie will stick out like a very upscale sore thumb.

I totally agree with nearly everything you said. Anyone who thinks this will be a "regional draw" is fooling themself. Major letdown IMHO. Good news regarding Certus, though.

I totally agree with nearly everything you said. Anyone who thinks this will be a "regional draw" is fooling themself. Major letdown IMHO. Good news regarding Certus, though.

This is an upscale, national retailer. The first one in SC outside of Myrtle Beach. It's a bigger deal than getting Mast General in 2003 was. Not to mention, that there are two other retail spaces available. We all know that national retailers 'follow the leader'.

Just because you personally don't shop there, doesn't mean it isn't significant.

Edited by vicupstate

This is an upscale, national retailer. The first one in SC outside of King Street Charleston (the Rodeo Drive of SC). It's a bigger deal than getting Mast General in 2003 was. Not to mention, that there are two other retail spaces available. We all know that national retailers 'follow the leader'.

Just because you personally don't shop there, doesn't mean it isn't significant.

Well said. And those that follow, a nay-sayer might be interested in. We have to wait and see.

Was a timeline for construction given? CVS/retail, the Peace Center, and Riverwalk are all looking for company ;)

That doesn't matter to me. I'm a big fan of Urban Outfitters and would definitely shop there. But I can distance myself enough from my personal opinion to know that Urban Outfitters wouldn't be the best fit there either.

My support for Anthropologie is totally dependent on another, much more broadly appealing retailer coming in to support them. As it stands right now, I'm very underwhelmed.

Hmm, that's cool for them I guess. A store or restaurant (California Pizza Kitchen anyone???) would be great for ground level facing Main, but oh well.

Good to hear...that probably won't be announced until at least Phase 1 is complete will it? I wanna see a rendering noooooooooow!

There are only two phase's, right? If so, haven't they already announced the second tower will be 11 to 12 stories?

I think the Mall/Suburban mindset is being used here, which is not relevant to this situation.

Typically, a mall needs anchor department stores in order to attract shoppers.

Downtown already has 'anchors' such as the Hyatt, the Peace Center, Piazza Bergamo (when re-done), 100+ restaurants/bars, Falls Park, etc.

People are already drawn to the area, while they are there, they will stop in to Anthropolgie, while strolling in DT, just as they would when strolling between department stores in an enclosed mall.

On another point, men will shop there, because most men have a mother/sister/GF/wife to buy gifts for.

BTW, the loudest applause of the announcement was for Anthroplogie, BY FAR, compared to the Centus announcement or the developer, mayor and other dignitaries.

There are only two phase's, right? If so, haven't they already announced the second tower will be 11 to 12 stories?

The drawing from 4240 shows a taller structure behind those two buildings. I'm thinking there is at least a 3rd, if not 4th phase, but they are not saying much about that because it is less firm.

• Like 1

I think people need to stop complaining and instead start thanking the city and developers for bringing this major project to downtown Greenville during one of the worst recessions since the Great Depression. $100 million is nothing to sneeze at. :)

Edited by citylife

I think people need to stop complaining and instead start thanking the city and developers for bringing this major project to downtown Greenville during one of the worst recessions since the Great Depression. $100 million is nothing to sneeze at. :)

I agree. In this economy, having a project like this one is nothing short of a "festivus miracle". Seriously, I cannot fathom anyone complaining about this wonderful project. It's is unbelievable to read some of these negative comments. Quite frankly, it is foolish talk to complain about the tenants and the project.

Any disappointment that anyone is experiencing is our faults. Speculation has been driven by us, the public, and rumors have run wild. This is the project, not what we've cooked up in our heads. Take it, and move on.

We've landed an important economic development, with a total of almost 700 possible jobs for DOWNTOWN announced/opened over the past two days! We're adding retail to a corner that has sat vacant forever. And, because of this project, we're getting $4 million worth of improvements and upgrades to the public spaces of the Piazza and its ties to the rest of the immediate area. It's a big day for Greenville! period. :thumbsup:

Wow, instead of a signature tower we get a building that doesn't even make Greenville's top 10 as far as height goes. We also got the dreaded "hope to have enough commitments" for phase 2. Overall I am disappointed but I guess I was expecting too much and got too excited. Thought this would be a great opportunity for another highrise. Will we ever get another one? I think phase 2 is way down the road and we will be left with a single building for a long time which is still better than a park! Why does it take over a year to build a 9 story building?

At least it has a vertical appearance, at least from the rendering's angle.

I'm not noticing a third tower in the in rendering. The one to the right is obviously the Bank of America plaza.

In the green, plaid drawing that has been out for a few days, there is an taller spired building shown. Plus the wording mentions a signature tower.