CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

The Mayor is notorious for bluffing, but on this one, I suspect the fact that it's "gone quiet" is an indication that something's about to happen. It's serious enough and imminent enough that the people who have the real details can't and won't say anything.

Now, if anyone wants to talk about an urban park, let's have a good hard look at the Peacock site, shall we?

The Gville news today said that the city and the owner are trying to get it sold for a different use, that would utilize the millions of dollars already put into the site. Apartments was one suggestion.

I am all for making the Peacock site something else. The owner/developer has had plenty of time to make something happen, and while it was a nice idea it was poorly executed and was seemingly bad timing.

Putting the property in someone else's hands - someone who knows what they are doing - would be great. Where is John Holder? This would be prime for one of his developments.

The Gville news today said that the city and the owner are trying to get it sold for a different use, that would utilize the millions of dollars already put into the site. Apartments was one suggestion.

I looked and looked in this morning Greenville News. Couldn't find an article on the Peacock. That was until I picked up a Greenville Journal this afternoon. Ohhh...now it makes sense. :lol:

Edited by citylife

Greenville News just reporting that Gov. nikki Haley will be in town Wednesday for the old Woolworts site announcement. Must be big if the Governor is coming. :yahoo:

Beat me to it. It is set for 2:30 in Piazza Bergamo.

Looks like the 'inside scoop' was just a few days off.

Our LONG wait will soon be over. :yahoo:

Edited by vicupstate

Greenville News just reporting that Gov. nikki Haley will be in town Wednesday for the old Woolworts site announcement. Must be big if the Governor is coming. :yahoo:

Excellent news!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

So if the governor is attending, I would think it would also include a jobs announcement, or perhaps a Clemson expansion?

Thoughts?

Excellent news!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

So if the governor is attending, I would think it would also include a jobs announcement, or perhaps a Clemson expansion?

Thoughts?

Or perhaps a Wal-Mart expansion :rofl:

Yes, I would expect a significant number of jobs to be involved.

Edited by vicupstate

This is thrilling! :yahoo: :yahoo:

The Governor's presence is definitely intriguing! The northern end of Main Street has been defined in the past as pre-Hyatt and post-Hyatt development. I think that reference will hit its end, creating a new chapter of definition: pre-Hyatt, post-Hyatt/pre-Piazza redevelopment, and post-Piazza redevelopment.

But I thought it was on hold. Or maybe I was just trying to throw you guys off. :whistling: Remember who posted on here that Hughes was involved. ;)

I'm not buying that effort.

The Governor's presence is definitely intriguing! The northern end of Main Street has been defined in the past as pre-Hyatt and post-Hyatt development. I think that reference will hit its end, creating a new chapter of definition: pre-Hyatt, post-Hyatt/pre-Piazza redevelopment, and post-Piazza redevelopment.

You forgot the Mast General Store effect.

This really does seem to be quite the large deal. On the development size, a couple of people have stated today that it is only comparable to Riverplace.

Should we assume there will be renderings on Weds?

This really does seem to be quite the large deal. On the development size, a couple of people have stated today that it is only comparable to Riverplace.

Should we assume there will be renderings on Weds?

There should be renderings galore. This is going to be a spotlight moment for the developers, tenants involved, and the architects. They wouldn't spoil their chance. 4240 has some really good projects out there. I'm excited to see what they've come up with for Greenville!!!

There should be renderings galore. This is going to be a spotlight moment for the developers, tenants involved, and the architects. They wouldn't spoil their chance.

Well put.

Curious if a good number of the retail / restaurant tenants will be announced or if leases are still being signed. Seems retailers would want to join in the spotlight as well. We've heard Urban Outfitters and B&N were looking, and a couple of people swear there will be a freestanding Sephora.

So many facets to look forward to in this development announcement: Building design / height / corporate presence / jobs announcement / national retail / restaurants.

Riverplace is a large project that costed $65 million to build so that is a good mixed-use development to compare this one to in terms of construction costs. However, i'm pretty sure the height of the buildings will be taller with Washington Square. "Signature Tower"=6 story building? Don't think so. Oh and don't shoot the messenger if any of these turn out to be wrong in the end:

-Urban Outfitters, B&N, and Sephora have apparently signed leases.

-A movie theater was in the works but the status of that is unknown at this time. Apparently, the company who was going to do it originally pulled out due to costs. That's not to say another movie company couldn't come in and install one though.

Edited by citylife

Riverplace is a large project that costed $65 million to build so that is a good mixed-use development to compare this one to in terms of construction costs. However, i'm pretty sure the height of the buildings will be taller with Washington Square. "Signature Tower"=6 story building?

I think he meant in terms of impact. Not visually, but synergy and vibe. Everything sounds really great!

I think he meant in terms of impact. Not visually, but synergy and vibe. Everything sounds really great!

Please don't let anything like these words be mentioned. "Construction will start as soon as financing is in place" or "Construction will begin when tenants are found".

Edited by apaladin

Exactly what I meant. Thank you.

Obviously this will be a highrise development, which Riverplace is not. In scope and impact on the surrounding area, it will be very "Riverplace".

Glad to hear that Nikki Haley will be present on Wednesday for the announcement. We can expect renderings and tenant announcements. And from what I've heard financing is very much in place. I will be shocked if construction doesn't begin by July at the absolute latest. No delays on this one, guys.

It will definitely rival RiverPlace in terms of impact. In terms of wow factor, it will surpass it if the rumblings I've heard in the past few weeks are true. :shades: