CONSTRUCTION THREAD: ONE Greenville (Main @ Washington)

btoy

DPC has approved phase I of the project in a vote of 3-2. Oh and received these from somebody I know at TIC Properties earlier today:

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I'm surprised the vote was that close! But, I like the new renderings you've gotten your hands on! NICE! You can really see the relationships between the two new towers and Bank of America's tower. :thumbsup:

So, there is a spire on top of the vertical circulation core for the 9 story building? With good lighting, it could be nice.

Those who opposed the design of the ONE project stated that the building(s) did not reflect the architectual look and feel of Greenville.

Utilizing some very well-placed spies, I've managed to capture the PROPOSED NEW DESIGN of the project so that it best mirrors recent Greenville construction. See the attached artist's rendering.

(Wink, nod, and everything else to indicate this is just a joke...)

post-24209-0-16881000-1308160562_thumb.j

Those who opposed the design of the ONE project stated that the building(s) did not reflect the architectual look and feel of Greenville.

Utilizing some very well-placed spies, I've managed to capture the PROPOSED NEW DESIGN of the project so that it best mirrors recent Greenville construction. See the attached artist's rendering.

LOL! Nice! :lol:

:lol: That's priceless!

I think the great thing about this project is its unique design for Greenville. We don't currently have anything that will appear too similar to this development.

That speaks a thousand words, lol.

LOL at Birdbrain. :lol: I'm not sure if that's a spire or not GvilleSC. Would be awesome if it is though. :thumbsup: Goliath won: http://www.wyff4.com...700/detail.html This NIMBY (same one in the WSPA article) just needs to pack up and go home to Asheville or Charleston. The DPC already approved the project so complaining now is pretty much pointless. Oh and I think that's Bob Ellis at the one minute mark of the news video. :blink:

Edited by citylife

I like the updated plans.

You know, if they took about 8 stories off the front (Main Street) end of the second phase building they could add it to the back half of the building and have a 20 story tower that would fit nicely with the rest of the project and and match or surpass the BoA building.

And that would leave a 4 story front on Main so people who don't want a tower there could be happy too.

This NIMBY (same one in the WSPA article) just needs to pack up and go home to Asheville or Charleston.

Whoa, that is not a thoughtful response, in my opinion. Mr. Conway has done what many of us recommend to others interested in relocation to the Upstate. He has invested a significant portion of his life in Downtown Greenville and cares enough about the preservation of valuable public space to share his concern as a neighbor and advocate. In my opinion, the City is at least partially to blame because they have not yet produced a concept for the plaza. Some people see this imminent major mixed-use complex and wonder how it will impact the public space. I personally believe Piazza Bergamo has tremendous potential to finally become a vibrant public space in the heart of downtown and I don't doubt the designers' abilities for one second. However, I also want it to be perfect and every detail carefully planned. Fortunately the confusion and disagreement surrounding this whole development should subside after the construction work is complete. It will be a place everyone will be proud to own.

• Like 1

It's a false argument. Whatever extra space the building takes up in the middle of the plaza, it more than gives back in the front and back of the plaza. I haven't done any measurements obviously, but it looks like the plaza actually GAINS space vs. what a traditional flat-sided building would offer.

It's a false argument. Whatever extra space the building takes up in the middle of the plaza, it more than gives back in the front and back of the plaza. I haven't done any measurements obviously, but it looks like the plaza actually GAINS space vs. what a traditional flat-sided building would offer.

Not to mention that the hour glass shape is going to be so much more dynamic to interact within.

Whoa, that is not a thoughtful response, in my opinion. Mr. Conway has done what many of us recommend to others interested in relocation to the Upstate. He has invested a significant portion of his life in Downtown Greenville and cares enough about the preservation of valuable public space to share his concern as a neighbor and advocate.

Maybe not but I still stand by my statement. I have no problem with people wanting downtown to be great looking and have a say in how a development is constructed especially when it comes to the design of public use spaces like Piazza Bergamo, but this guy in my opinion is nothing short of annoying and full of himself. He doesn't have any ideas or suggestions on what do with the Woolworth land. Instead all he has are complaints. He's not an advocate of downtown and economic development, he's a killer of it. Personally, I think the area would be better off without him along with Heidi Aiken. I sure wouldn't miss them.

Edited by citylife

There is clearly a discrepancy regarding the amount of public space affected by the ONE proposal. Until the City or the developer offers a straightforward reply to clear it up, this is not a false argument at all, but rather the natural concern of at least a few downtown residents. It may seem unnecessary, but the City has not yet denied its accuracy.

• Like 1

Maybe not but I still stand by my statement. I have no problem with people wanting downtown to be great looking and have a say in how a development is constructed especially when it comes to the design of public use spaces like Piazza Bergamo, but this guy in my opinion is nothing short of annoying and full of himself. He doesn't have any ideas or suggestions on what do with the Woolworth land. Instead all he has are complaints. He's not an advocate of downtown and economic development, he's a killer of it. Personally, I think the area would be better off without him along with Heidi Aiken. I sure wouldn't miss them.

Be careful what you wish. This is real life, not a game. You can't control everything and disagreement is not uncommon. What one person says affects what other people do. In this case, everyone apparently agrees that the components of the ONE project will be a good addition to that vacant property. As expected, the disagreement is centered around the project's design rather than its functionality. The design does encroach onto current public property, causing legitimate concern among at least a few residents in the immediate neighborhood. If their voices are "annoying" to you, then there are more mature ways to respond than simply wishing they'd move away. Intolerance of different opinions affects everyone eventually.

Edited by Skyliner
  • Like 1

Interesting design, particularly the materials that will be used. It puts me in the mind of an eco-friendly house in the Pacific Northwest or something of the sort. I suppose that's because the brown portion looks like wood paneling but I know that won't be the case. But I expect it to have a very contemporary flair and be distinctive architecturally without calling a lot of attention to itself.

Interesting design, particularly the materials that will be used. It puts me in the mind of an eco-friendly house in the Pacific Northwest or something of the sort. I suppose that's because the brown portion looks like wood paneling but I know that won't be the case. But I expect it to have a very contemporary flair and be distinctive architecturally without calling a lot of attention to itself.

There are already 3 parks(greenspace) within walking distance. Like you said this is a central business district not a playground. This guy is upset because he wants another place for his dog to poop.

Edited by apaladin

Be careful what you wish. This is real life, not a game. You can't control everything and disagreement is not uncommon. What one person says affects what other people do. In this case, everyone apparently agrees that the components of the ONE project will be a good addition to that vacant property. As expected, the disagreement is centered around the project's design rather than its functionality. The design does encroach onto current public property, causing legitimate concern among at least a few residents in the immediate neighborhood. If their voices are "annoying" to you, then there are more mature ways to respond than simply wishing they'd move away. Intolerance of different opinions affects everyone eventually.

The only person treating this like a game and not being mature in my opinion is this guy. His message to WYFF and WSPA about Max Heller rolling over in his grave thanks to ONE/Washington Square just totally rubbed me the wrong way and was uncalled for in my opinion. He also needs to quit lying when it comes to the public use space going completely away. Until that happens you won't see me changing my tune. No worries though. He'll stop eventually just like all the Camperdown bridge, old Riverplace buildings, etc. complainers did and this project will still get built. :thumbsup: Piazza Bergamo will also get its full potential realized instead of just being used for dog pooping and a few drunks on Saturday night.

Edited by citylife

:wacko: This guy just won't give up: http://www.wyff4.com/news/28299692/detail.html Now Mr. Conway is threatening legal action. He doesn't seem to understand that the design standards are guidelines and not requirements for downtown development. I highly doubt this case will hold up in court. Edited by citylife

:wacko: This guy just won't give up: http://www.wyff4.com/news/28299692/detail.html Now Mr. Conway is threatening legal action. He doesn't seem to understand that the design standards are guidelines and not requirements for downtown development. I highly doubt this case will hold up in court.

All because he thinks that the Piazza Bergamo land is too expensive to "land swap". Until we find out what land is being swapped, we can't know how it shakes down in terms of fairness. He needs to be fair, if he is asking the City to be fair.

As an actual resident of the City, and a frequent user of downtown, I'd like to state that he does NOT represent my interests.

All because he thinks that the Piazza Bergamo land is too expensive to "land swap". Until we find out what land is being swapped, we can't know how it shakes down in terms of fairness. He needs to be fair, if he is asking the City to be fair.

As an actual resident of the City, and a frequent user of downtown, I'd like to state that he does NOT represent my interests.

Regardless of how stupid he is, legal action could cause a long delay and eventually kill this project. Unbelievable.