Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

I noticed today the former Silver Diner on VB Blvd has a construction permit for IHOP. I kind of hate to see them leave their current location since its been there for probably 40 plus years. The current chalet-type building they are in is a bit nostalgic to me. :(

Edited by urbanvb

I've long wondered why the Boulevard IHOP didn't relocate.  I understand the nostalgia and all, but the building was old and much smaller than their other area locations.  I heard recently that that location would close and a CookOut was coming to that spot. Then this morning, I saw that remodeling had begun on the old Silver Diner building.  I didn't put two-and-two together at first, but I see here that urbanvb has taken note of a permit for IHOP there.  Makes sense now.  IHOP relocates to the much bigger site where Silver Diner was and they put the CookOut at the old IHOP site.  Now, if I could just find out what they are going to do at the old Max & Erma's site. 
On a related note, has anyone heard anything about Steak 'N Shake coming to this area?  I stopped at the one in Fredericksburg awhile back and they told me that Richmond, Roanoke, and Virginia Beach locations were all in the works.  I know the one in Richmond has been open for awhile now, and I believe I saw somewhere that the Roanoke location has opened.  So, when do we get one?....

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss the old IHOP, but mainly for nostalgia reasons, and the charm of the big blue roof. But...the place was tiny, so converting the Silver Diner makes much more sense (the one in Chesapeake is now a Denny's).

At least it's staying in that area...a Cookout being across the street will make for nice "last call" competition. Seems that most of the Cookouts here are pretty close to IHOP or Denny's.

As for Steak and Shake, I've heard rumors about one coming here, and that a regional office is somewhere in the area. I've been hearing that for about 2 or 3 years now, though, and still...nothing.

I've long wondered why the Boulevard IHOP didn't relocate.  I understand the nostalgia and all, but the building was old and much smaller than their other area locations.  I heard recently that that location would close and a CookOut was coming to that spot. Then this morning, I saw that remodeling had begun on the old Silver Diner building.  I didn't put two-and-two together at first, but I see here that urbanvb has taken note of a permit for IHOP there.  Makes sense now.  IHOP relocates to the much bigger site where Silver Diner was and they put the CookOut at the old IHOP site.  Now, if I could just find out what they are going to do at the old Max & Erma's site. 

On a related note, has anyone heard anything about Steak 'N Shake coming to this area?  I stopped at the one in Fredericksburg awhile back and they told me that Richmond, Roanoke, and Virginia Beach locations were all in the works.  I know the one in Richmond has been open for awhile now, and I believe I saw somewhere that the Roanoke location has opened.  So, when do we get one?....

Just pulled this up on a Google search: http://constructiondatacompany.com/construction-projects/90816/steak-n-shake-virginia-beach-va/

I am very excited.  We have several Steak n Shakes here in Illinois and it would be awesome to go to one when I go home in Virginia Beach.

• Like 1

Just pulled this up on a Google search: http://constructiondatacompany.com/construction-projects/90816/steak-n-shake-virginia-beach-va/

I am very excited.  We have several Steak n Shakes here in Illinois and it would be awesome to go to one when I go home in Virginia Beach.

There is a Steak and Shake currently being constructed in Hampton on Mercury Blvd right across from Power Plant's Sonic Drive In.

So excited to see this.  I am a fast food junkie, and CookOut is pretty good, but somehow there is just nothing like a Steak 'N Shake.  Look forward to these coming!

Edited by likeminded

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what's being done on the outparcel slab right there in front of Town Center Marketplace?  Right next to the USAA, where I believe the Honeybaked Ham was located many years ago.

I guess no one knows or has had any luck finding any info...I know I can't find anything.  Even the cashier at the OfficeMax didn't know...

• 2 weeks later...

Also, in the Pilot;

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/03/jewish-mother-closes-virginia-beach

So now, they are blaming free music on the beach for loss of business? And they blamed food trucks in Norfolk for that location closing. Well, if they still had the location on Pacific, they would have to compete with free music more than at Hilltop. I think the owner is looking for any excuse for closing other than doing a lousy job at running his business.

Also, in the Pilot;

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/03/jewish-mother-closes-virginia-beach

So now, they are blaming free music on the beach for loss of business? And they blamed food trucks in Norfolk for that location closing. Well, if they still had the location on Pacific, they would have to compete with free music more than at Hilltop. I think the owner is looking for any excuse for closing other than doing a lousy job at running his business.

Bingo on your last sentence. When you own a business, you have to know what you want to be and as Nathan below you mentions, it just doesn't seem that they knew. I never went to any of the Jewish Mothers, and I heard truly mixed reviews. But if food trucks put you out of business, you were on your way out. If free music elsewhere puts you out of business, again you were on your way out anyway. I hate to see anyone fail. But that's the harsh reality. Food trucks and free music were not the problem.

Hopefully they'll learn lessons at the next locations.

Edited by HRVT

Their location on the oceanfront was great. It had that literal hole in the wall feel and was close to the action. Used to go there for breakfast before heading to the beach. When they moved to the new location they became out of the way (no fault of their own, they were forced out). The atmosphere also changed at the new location. They went from having that mom and pop look and feel to the look and feel of a chain restaurant. It was dark, cold, and fancy, and because of this I stopped going. The move from the oceanfront killed them but they could've recovered if they had kept that charm. Business rule #1: Dance with the one that brung yah. Don't forget about the customers that made you who you are when in pursuit of bigger and better things.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A Wal-Mart Marketplace is opening at Kempsville and Centerville Turnpike...it's going on the site of an old Farm Fresh that closed years ago.

A Marketplace also opened recently on Holland Road, near Dam Neck.

This has been pretty interesting to follow. They walled off the part of the building that farm fresh uses as a warehouse and built out a new storefront then tore the remainder down. They've also reconfigured the parking lot and added islands.

I've found very little info about this project online so if anybody finds something please share.

Looks like the old Red Star is getting cleaned out. While walking the dog yesterday, saw that there were people working inside. Didn't go and look in, and nothing is posted on the doors about someone new moving in. But there is at least something going on with it.