Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

The higher-end stores at TC remind me a bit of Lenox Square in Atlanta. A lot of nice pickups for TC...though I really do wonder if they're pushing for an Ikea or Crate and Barrel in the near-future. It seems they're getting a lot of stores on that level.

The higher-end stores at TC remind me a bit of Lenox Square in Atlanta. A lot of nice pickups for TC...though I really do wonder if they're pushing for an Ikea or Crate and Barrel in the near-future. It seems they're getting a lot of stores on that level.

I don't think we're going to get Ikea anytime in the forseeable future around here. I read somewhere where this area doesn't fit Ikea's population needs nor does the area have enough space for Ikea really (the best fit IMO would be in place of Military Circle Mall... and they would likely need nearly every bit of that land to have enough space.

Crate and Barrel on the other hand IMO has a very good chance of being the anchor of the eventual Gateway Bank Tower, whenever that gets built.

• 2 weeks later...

So, piggybacking on your article, here's another one from Lou Haddad of Armada Hoffler who states in the article that "The retail space at the bottom of the 4525 Main Street Tower will be completely leased, and the former location of the Red Star Tavern, which closed in July 2013, will be occupied again. In an interview, Haddad said Armada Hoffler is negotiating with a "handful" of prospective retailers that could fill in the remaining 20,000 square feet of retail space in Town Center. 

I could imagine soon hearing talk of another building coming to TC.  :good: 

Edited by urbanvb

Haven't seen this here yet, but there is major activity happiness around town center today.

1. All the windows and doors of the surrounding retail on the Dick's block have been removed and workers are currently there. Doing there thing.

2. It seemed like every manhole way opened up with sewer contractors inside or around them and sewer maintainance trucks were around.

3. Light work is happening around Columbus 1. Looks like some landscaping on Main and a patio that I never noticed.

4. The old Red Star is really taking shape with it split in two and individual store construction taking place. Lots of ground level work happening at Main St. Tower too.

'Twould be cool if this all lead to phase IV being announced in the next year.

Thanks for looking that up. That's a pretty big building just to house a Verizon shop. Maybe there will be others- who knows. Maybe they will move from their Collins Square location. The last few times I've been in there thery are pretty busy.

Edited by urbanvb

And there's a Walmart Super Center just a few minutes away on Lynnhaven, with a full grocery section.

I don't remember Ames, but I do know there was a Hills in that building at one point in the mid-90s...

Edited by BFG

No, I noticed that a few days ago, but I don't think anything has been announced. But I'm interested in try some new BBQ at Missions a couple blocks away.

I think when you say old HQ, most people think of the site across town center. Sorry.

The new version in Lohmann's plaza is replacing the Collin's a Square one with some new concept store that is a technologically advanced, badass version. Apparently, it SO much more than a store. Haha.

No, I noticed that a few days ago, but I don't think anything has been announced. But I'm interested in try some new BBQ at Missions a couple blocks away.

I think when you say old HQ, most people think of the site across town center. Sorry.

The new version in Lohmann's plaza is replacing the Collin's a Square one with some new concept store that is a technologically advanced, badass version. Apparently, it SO much more than a store. Haha.

The Wal-Mart space in that area is looking nice, although I still wouldn't have minded seeing a two-story structure, to give it a more urban feel. I remember seeing one in Long Island years ago, and being blown away by it.

I'm interested to see what could happen to the Builder's Square/HQ building. I believe something is there, but I think there's potential for something there as TC expands.

Edited by BFG

• 3 weeks later...

Jewish Mother closes, this time for sure!

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/09/jewish-mother-virginia-beach-closes-good

Okay, who had 'September 8, 2014' and 'lack of parking' in the "When will Jewish Mother close and what excuse will they use" pool?

By the way, when Jewish Mother was on Pacific Avenue, how good was the parking at the oceanfront? <_<