Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

• 2 weeks later...

The Facebook page for Town Center has released the schedule for retail/restaurant openings for the near future. Things are looking promising!

2014:
lululemon athletica Town Center of Virginia Beach (October 3rd)
Twist Martini
Mrs. Bones
Anthropologie
Free People

2015:
Francesca's
Paper Source
West Elm

Tupelo Honey Cafe

post-26475-0-58226000-1411519923_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Please tell me that your sources are saying that this demolition will give way to more than just a simple entrance?! I would hope that there would be additional lifestyle retailing opportunities and new-to-the-market restaurants, like Maggiano's. So far I am terribly underwhelmed by the entire GGP renovation. Walling-in an entire second floor and thousands upon thousands of square feet? Reducing all remnants of functional verticality? Crazy.

I was told by someone that works at the mall this area would become a new main entrance to the mall. Hopefully they will include this area within the mall for new tenants in the mall but I am not sure. I will ask the next time I speak with them. Some new restaurants added within would surely be a plus.  

• 2 weeks later...

I was there tonight for the first time since the initial destruction/construction was complete. It looks very modern and simple. Nice and new but maybe a bit plain in design. It's interesting I see how they re-envisioned the place. I was actually the most happy to see a Pho restaurant will still be in the mall it is a stand alone kiosk-type place headin toward Regis and Game Stop. It'll be called Pholicious. That's pretty clever. Though, today I missed having a CD store to peruse through. Barnes and Nobel's extremely limited selection doesn't count.

Edited by metalman

I agree it is rather plain with muted colors but still modern. The kiosk type eating places are kind of neat. And they have a lot more seating through out the mall including the long table with power outlets to charge electronics. That's a pretty neat addition. I didn't notice if the mall had wifi which would be nice.

Edited by urbanvb

Thanks for that bit of information. I was fairly certain that they weren't going to tear down that 120k sq ft structure and leave a gaping hole in the front of the mall just for the sake of creating a "new entrance."

I visited the mall today, as I had not been there in several months. While extremely bland and a little cheap looking, I appreciate the floor, paint and lighting changes. I do have serious concerns about the rest, however. First of all, and with all respect, no one in their right mind would either build or re-create by way of renovation, a one story, enclosed mall in the 21st-century. It is unheard of. It is not sexy. It is not cool. It is not done. But that is, in fact, what they have done.

Second, despite that meager addition in the back, they are reducing by thousands upon thousands of sq ft the leasable floor space in the mall. This includes the entire second floor shops and restaurants and all the space behind the restaurants & offices...plus the old United Artist 5 movie theaters (which are still back there preserved like a crypt!!). I mean, who has ever heard of reducing footprint in a prime, high dollar/sq ft--the market leader at over $500 per sq ft as far as I know--producing shopping center? Are other leading regional malls like Richmond's Short Pump reducing footprint? Is Lenox Sq in Atlanta? Of course the answer to both of those questions, and questions regarding many high-performing malls and lifestyle centers around the country at present, is a firm, "no." In fact, many, including those aforementioned two centers, are expanding footprint whilst renovating.

Now couple the rather odd strategy of sq ft attrition with the apparent elimination of all dynamic verticality (removal or elimination of access to all second floor space), and what you're left with, in my opinion, is a most confusing outcome, and certainly not one geared toward attaining the highest and best use of the property.

In order to achieve that attrition, they are actually walling-in much of the second floor instead of tearing it off as originally promised. I speak of the mezzanine @grand central court area and the 2nd level retail area across from the Sleep Number store at the main entrance. I don't know which is more strange here? Sq ft attrition by tearing off or by walling-in? I suppose that walling-in is truly odd, but both methods are questionable at best if one is actually trying to improve the mall, to create excitement and buzz, and to attract new retailers and new customers.

And to think that this mall is reported to be the highest grossing dollar per sq ft mall in the region. Just last decade, Lynnhaven sold for almost $270 million for goodness sake! If this is how the GGP renovates a market leader, what would they do with a lesser property?!

Clearly, the most lavish and perhaps most successful way to go about it would've been to somehow create a new connection to the existing second floor from the Lord and Taylor space, opening up the Lord and Taylor space into a two-story indoor-outdoor lifestyle center whilst connecting it to a repurposed mezzanine. They could also have repurposed some of the old space not previously recaptured by the last major renovation behind the food court vendors and including the the old movie theaters.

Sadly, the more I see of this renovation, the more I am convinced that it is being carried out on a shoestring budget, and that major decisions have been made largely based on the availability of (limited) funds rather than on a comprehensive strategy to gradually upscale the mall to utilize it to its best and highest purpose. Lynnhaven's impressive, market-leading per sq sales figures certainly gave GGP the foundation upon which to build such improvements. They simply chose not to do so.

Edited by baobabs727

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

REI is scheduled to open spring 2016 and will be building a 27,400 square foot store on the corner of Virginia Beach Blvd and Independence Blvd. From the looks of their stores elsewhere, this could be good for expanding the feel of Town Center across the street.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/02/rei-coming-virginia-beachs-pembroke-mall

We may  be witnessing the demise of Sears at Pembroke Mall. It's been announced that Nordstrom Rack and DSW will take over portions of their building, and REI will locate on the site of their Automotive building.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/02/sears-downsizing-nordstrom-rack-and-dsw-open-pembroke-mall

Nordstrom Rack is coming?! To Hell with Sears, I'll take Nordstrom Rack any day of the week!

I kind of have mixed feelings about this Sears. For many years I have purchased appliances from this store and they have one of the biggest selections in the city. I was just there actually last weekend to pick up a microwave and pricing some tires in the tire center. That said, Sears in general has been declining for years and seems to be teetering on extinction. I am hoping they can somehow stick around and make a go of it. That said, I am excited to hear of high end retail coming to fruition to the Pembroke area. Just a few years ago I couldn't imagine the possibility of Fresh Market setting up shop here. I'm hoping they will come.

Edited by urbanvb

Nordstrom Rack is coming?! To Hell with Sears, I'll take Nordstrom Rack any day of the week!

Wonder if that's going to affect Nordstrom in MacArthur? Or if this is a sign of anything to come with it? Long overdue for a renovation, long known to be poorly performing, and now with a discount version of their store just up the road... could Nordstrom be pulling out of Hampton Roads?

Wonder if that's going to affect Nordstrom in MacArthur? Or if this is a sign of anything to come with it? Long overdue for a renovation, long known to be poorly performing, and now with a discount version of their store just up the road... could Nordstrom be pulling out of Hampton Roads?

Furthermore...does that open the door for Macy's to leave Military Circle? No one really goes to MC anymore, esp. since Sears and JCPenney both remain vacant.