Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

This nugget of info is on REI's "about" page-

The company will open its doors at Pembroke Mall in Virginia Beach in the spring of 2016, on the corners of Virginia Beach and Independence Boulevards. At more than 27,400 square feet, the new freestanding store will serve nearly 7,500 local REI members and a thriving outdoor community. The first REI in Virginia opened in 1990 in Bailey’s Crossroads. Today, the nearest REI is more than 100 miles away in the Richmond-Short Pump area. 

The stores will feature the top brands for camping, climbing, cycling, fitness, hiking, paddling, snow sports and travel. Each location will offer year-round REI Outdoor School classes and a bike shop for expert assembly and repairs. Watersports hard goods such as kayaks and stand up paddle boards will be available year-round in Virginia, and seasonally in Christiana and West Des Moines. REI Christiana will offer snow sports hard goods seasonally.

http://www.rei.com/about-rei/newsroom/2015/rei-to-open-in-christiana--del---virginia-beach--va--and-west-de.html

Edited by metalman

I'd be surprised if Nordstrom stays with McArthur after they open a Rack 5 miles away. I think the writing is on the wall and hopefully Norfolk can read it. What might be nice is a Macy's move to downtown (maybe in the Nordstrom building, maybe in a new 3rd anchor space) and maybe another retailer like Off 5th sets up shop here in the area either at Pembroke or McArthur. It would be very bad if Nordstrom pulls out and then there are no other anchors in MacArthur besides Dillards. Even a Belk might be an ok fit... it would be better than an empty shell.  

Does anyone know where the WF is going to set up shop? Most of this new stuff seems like outparcel so I wonder if the PM is planning to get more stores inside. I go to the Target there (over Military Hwy) but never actually walk through the mall itself because it is still a dead zone inside. 

Edited by JPN0731

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't see a street grid coming to Pembroke Mall.  Not with all the big boxes that have recently come there (Target & the food court overhaul) and are slated to come (REI, Fresh Market, Nordstrom Rack, Uptown Alley).

On the Pembroke Mall note, I drove by today and it looked like Jason's Deli is in their new spot next to Walgreen's and the Sears auto center is closed.  Anybody know what kind of timetable there is for any of the various projects there? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now that the Sandcastle Motel has been demolished, plans are underway to build up the block with retail and dining with a partial multistory building. Clark Nexsen did design work, and it looks modern and complements what's going on towards the north of the beach. See agenda item 7.

http://www.vbgov.com/government/departments/planning/boards-commissions-committees/Documents/PC/2015/05May/20150513-PLN-CUR-complete-with-reports.pdf

A lot of talk that Wegmans is going in where the Hilltop Kmart is with a few restaurants.  A few people saying that they've talked to Kmart store management and that's what they've been told.  Another rumor is that a Kroger Marketplace is to be built there to replace the Kroger behind Whole Foods.  Anybody hear anything or see anything official?

I've never heard of this. Is that Kmart store still open? Wegmans recently started a trek down south by announcing a store in Richmond. Folks in the Raleigh area have been clamouring for one so perhaps the chain is indeed moving southward.

I've heard rumors of them putting a Wegman's either near the Hilltop Kmart or Town Center. I know that Sears will be getting rid of all of their clothing and will only maintain the appliance and hardware store at their original store at Pembroke to make room for Fresh Market. Their clothing will venture over to Kmart for the time being.

It would seem that Hilltop is getting a bit saturated with Fresh Market, Trader Joes and Whole Foods. While demographics are excellent for them there I wonder if there is really a big enough market for all.

I've not heard of the Pemboke Kmart closing but in time I could imagine it might be some type of mixed use space.

Edited by urbanvb