New Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC), $600 million, 3,200 seats, 1,500 seats, 500 seats, East Bank at base of Seigenthaler Pedestrian Bridge

markhollin

• markhollin changed the title to New Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC), $500 million, 3,200 seats, 1,500 seats, 500 seats, site unknown

I agree with donNdonelson2 and bnacincy that TPAC should be on upper Broadway in Midtown.  Bicentennial Mall is geared toward museums.  East Bank for sports stadiums.  When seeing a show most people want to have drinks and dinner before the performance.  So being able to park once then walk is best in my experience.  Also, a  marquee sign on Broadway would be a great vibe of big city lights and sound before a show.   Downtown Chicago, Peachtree Street Atlanta and Broadway New York is what the city should be looking for IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FrankNash said:

I agree with donNdonelson2 and bnacincy that TPAC should be on upper Broadway in Midtown.  Bicentennial Mall is geared toward museums.  East Bank for sports stadiums.  When seeing a show most people want to have drinks and dinner before the performance.  So being able to park once then walk is best in my experience.  Also, a  marquee sign on Broadway would be a great vibe of big city lights and sound before a show.   Downtown Chicago, Peachtree Street Atlanta and Broadway New York is what the city should be looking for IMHO.

Having an area for restaurants and bars should be a part of any plan for Upper Broadway,  new TPAC, Museum/Theater District or no.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FrankNash said:

I agree that Upper Broadway is a viable option, for reasons that you mentioned. But the East Bank , particularly the area closest to the river between the Bridge Building, lot R , and Victory Lane would also make for a great location. Placed right , facing the view directly up Broadway, with an iconic building the likes of which MidTenn has described above would be a great addition to the New East Bank . Remember the City already owns this property and can work with the State , to build this project. Whereas the area everyone is suggesting on Upper Broadway is all privately owned, and would require significant investment and cooperation from the developers involved. I know it’s hard to envision what the New East Bank will transform into, only knowing what’s there currently, but it seems like it can become a beautiful central cultural area filled with all the things that have been mentioned. Restaurants, nightclubs, theaters, museums, retail and more. The one thing, regardless of location is to have the area surrounding a new TPAC , not turn into another Lower Broadway in any manner. Bars and clubs/ restaurants need to have a different feel and function than that of the Honky Tonks lining Lower Broadway.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 9:47 PM, Pdt2f said:

I don’t know why they insist on building public buildings in styles like this that will look idiotic 5 seconds after they open. The bow tie one looks like a villains lair in a Roger Moore Bond movie. What’s wrong with a timeless design like Buenos Aires’s Teatro Colón?

image.thumb.jpeg.15696a631d6a98c1a888aaea17938db7.jpeg

I don't think there is anything wrong with the style referenced above per say. For me, I prefer more glass and a difference in form than what we have seen for a century or so. It is all about personal taste. I don't believe the sample projects shown look idiotic at all and to me they feel much more welcoming than than the older styles. To me, the older style is too closed off and has an optics problem in the sense that the building is not accessible to the everyday person. Having a more open and welcoming. 

• Like 1

I see all the positives of placing a new TPAC on the east bank. But I'd hate to see a prominent spot tied to a massive structure that is rarely used M-F and then mainly in the evenings. I'd rather see the riverfront alive, 24-7, with shops, restaurants, limited office space, and lots of housing. Ascend is very well done, on the river and unused 6 months out of the year and during warmer months almost entirely used in the evenings, with the exception of dog walkers.  I could see possibly placing a new TPAC directly across from Ascend in the space between the Shelby pedestrian bridge and Korean Vet's.  One spot that crossed my mind is the Walk of Fame Plaza across from the Hall of fame and between the Schermerhorn and the Arena. I know it's not remotely likely but it would be in the heart of things and potentially have parking underneath. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, markhollin said:

This is a big enough project that it deserve its own thread.  Some entries from other threads have been relocated here.

Apparently this will have a minimum of $500 million budget from the state, but TPAC can also raise funding. TPAC is stating that they want to raise capacities of the three primary theaters to 3,200 range, 1,500 range, and 500 range.  There will also be expanded space for other gatherings, and additional administration space that is lacking at current location.

Sites are being scouted.  The East Bank in the new stadium area---possibly on the river shore---appears to be a leading candidate.  Another might be in the Bicentennial Mall area.  There are others that have not been disclosed yet.  

The State owns a data center right next to Bicentennial Mall and the Sounds Stadium. If the East Bank falls through this would be a great location, too! Right next to the Library and Archives and the State parking garage.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Argo said:

TPAC is not rarely used. It has events 7 days a week across 4 different venues.

I worked next door for 15+ years, and just by my experience, it just was not that busy, 7 days a week, - again, when I was there. Your experience may be different.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I stated this at the meet and that is if they build TPAC on the East Bank then Modernism, but if the build it on the Bicentennial Mall, then Classical architecture. I think it depends on where the structure is going to be and what other building will be around it.

Then it should go on the East Bank. Enough with the old timey concrete. We want fancy glass structures.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, MidTenn1 said:

That is a very nice article.

Some bullet points about the history of the Polk Building and possible demolition.

As an engineer, I watched the construction of the James K. Polk Building with great interest knowing my office was to be located in the building.

• It is technically a 28-story building even though the public elevators only serve 18 floors. The first office floor is 11 floors above the entrance as per what the buttons on the freight elevator indicate. So, if you are on the 10th floor, as I was for years, you are actually 20 floors above the street.
  • As shown here, the construction of the tower was unique in that the actual tower footprint was limited in size to accommodate the two large theaters. A large concrete interior core was built first to the top of the tower and the office space flooring was 'suspended' from large girders anchored to the top level of the core. The weight of the floors on one side was balanced by the weight of the floors on the other side of the tower with cables connecting the opposite structures together.

1145918443_PolkConst3.thumb.jpg.774bd2e5923b8c5a16e388644965acba.jpg

The office tower was built from the top down.

1903193782_PolkConst1.thumb.jpg.6fe60870a0b78416a361b70561f57a5f.jpg

The finished building.

986843781_PolkConst2.thumb.jpg.6040efc2afeadd5a78a0a2d848d0d283.jpg

• I worked in this building for many years and never felt uncomfortable regarding the sturdiness of the tower. Indeed, I was hunkering down with my workmates in the central core when the F2 tornado hit downtown in April 1998 and ingulfed the tower in its funnel.  I felt no swaying at all.
  • There was an urban legend that similar buildings around the country had collapsed. I never could find any evidence of that occurring.
  • The theater backstage service doors from the core are somewhat small as making them larger would have weakened the core a caused some significant swaying. So, the load-in doors had to be reduced in size. That is per my structural engineering professor who help perform the calculations. Sorry donNdonelson2!
  • I don't know how they would take the building down. Probably floor by floor starting at the bottom and keeping everything balanced. I cannot see how they could control an implosion.

I think building a new Performing Arts Center (not TPAC? No State involvement?) on Cultural Terrace B would be awesome. The view down Broadway would be spectacular.

153556249_EastBankCulturalTerrace.thumb.jpg.d10c4cdd04fb4dbfac2f30b8094c3904.jpg

Broadway.jpg.37b2f1224f1d11d1a509f850f7ad0117.jpg

P. S. People who stay at the hotel just a block away from the Polk Tower need to keep their curtains closed.

Very interesting! Thanks Pete.

That building isn't even 50 years old, right?  So when is the demolition planned? And is it a given there's no way to save it? Where is the weakness/threat occurring? 

I don't understand your PS regarding the hotel a block away. Is that the Double Tree hotel? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Very interesting! Thanks Pete.

That building isn't even 50 years old, right?  So when is the demolition planned? And is it a given there's no way to save it? Where is the weakness/threat occurring? 

I don't understand your PS regarding the hotel a block away. Is that the Double Tree hotel? 

It was the 30 floor Hyatt when first opened, but is a Sheraton Grand now. I was just making a joke about the curtains as the windows provided no privacy otherwise,

Edit: I have no other information about its eventual outcome other than some of the speculation mentioned elsewhere. It seems to make some sense to me as the actual office floor space is very limited by the large size of the central core which does contain restrooms, elevators and some storage and meeting space. Otherwise, if you lease out the space by the square foot, it might make more sense to just build a new class A+ building.

Edited by MidTenn1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally I think right now, they will downplay any potential issues or structural problems until a new TPAC is built. Word out on the street and in public would undoubtedly hurt ticket sales , and make a lot of people nervous and uncomfortable. 
if this building is anything “special “ like in its design or construction, I would think the State would want to hold on to it rather then sell it or grant a land lease. Once TPAC moves out , I would think it would be hard to reconfigure for other uses. 

• Like 2