Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I think the seating capacity thing isn't all that important. The quality of seating is going up, more room for each attendee which I think is a better deal. Temporary bleachers on the north terrace brings it up to 65k. With the Capital One Bowl seating 56,629 and the Russell Athletic drawing 52,692 last year the addition of more club seats, the Sky Club which can host events when there is nothing on the turf, and better fan amenities is a better draw than over-capacity.

Angry about Tinker Field? Look at what else isn't protected

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/os-tinker-field-beth-kassab-20140214,0,5371738.column

Beth encapsulates exactly why Tinker Field matters so much. First the Jaymont Block, then the Eola 5, what's next? Any developer that comes along with a shiny idea for Bulldozer Buddy can do whatever he/she likes with as little public input as possible.

I continue to be fascinated by the folks who say none of this matters, but a city's history is what makes it special. Tear down everything for yet another Baker Barrios uninspired creation (let's think now - what buildings built lately are remotely architecturally significant?) so that downtown can be as inspirational as... Casselberry? 

People are always fascinated by the neighborhoods saved by Mayor Bill back in the 80's and early 90's. If it had been up to Buddy back then, Thornton Park and Eola Heights would be gone now. But hey, as long as some out of town developer can make a quick buck and leave a trail of stucco-on-plywood disasters behind, that's all that matters, right? That's not the Orlando I could ever care about.

Ever wonder why Rich Crotty's "Downtown Orange County" on International Drive never took off? Who'd want to live in such a soulless place? There's a reason tiny little bungalows in Thornton Park command such high prices - it's the history and the quality of the neighborhood.

Jernigan and trueblue made great suggestions about where to go from here. First, however, let's ask this question: Buddy knew all along that Tinker was historically significant. If they needed more room for the Citrus Bowl, why was no thought given to moving Rio Grande a little east instead of just taking out Tinker? The answer is simple - because he and his crew simply did not care. They tried to present it at the last minute as a fait accompli, just as they did with the Jaymont Block.

That's the m.o. now - if anything is in your way, just let it go unmaintained long enough to say, "darn, there's just no choice, it has to go," when in fact there was a choice all along which was simply ignored. That way of thinking to make a few people wealthier at the expense of what makes Orlando special in the first place needs to stop now. Let Tinker be the warning.

That's too bad... a lot of people who come here have the mistaken impression (and I was just as guilty as anyone when I got here) that there isn't any history here that isn't murine related besides one serial killer.  

That's too bad... a lot of people who come here have the mistaken impression (and I was just as guilty as anyone when I got here) that there isn't any history here that isn't murine related besides one serial killer.  

A lot of people are ignorant. Especially the pissed off, relocated northerners who don't care for Florida. They're the same people who think Boston or New York is the oldest city in America for some reason, when we all know St Augustine, FL is. We may not of had the big time industry's and corporate city's of the north, but we do have an old interesting history compared to most states, that is overlooked. Tampa was and is still known as the cigar capital of the US, Orlando was a major part of expanding the Citrus industry throughout the country and put Florida on the map as the citrus producer of the US, Cape Canaveral was the headquarters of NASA's launching operations during the space race, and the first men on the moon touched Florida soil before they left. Miami...brought cocaine to the US (Joke). But Miami along with the rest of Florida was an integral part of WWII with training facilities and bases for the Army, Air force, and Navy because of the year round good weather provided for flying and other training exercises. The rural Southeastern end of Florida is littered with missile silos and rocket test sites that were used during the cold war. Even up in the panhandle they test the latest weapons at Eglin AFB. Not to forget the reason we are even talking about this, the integral development of Major League Baseball that was provided by small ballparks like Tinker Field throughout the state. So Florida has provided us the first city in the US, Cigars, OJ, baseball, national defense, a victory over the world, satellite's, and worldwide bragging rights with an American flag on the moon...I'd say we've done our part.

To play devil's advocate, is it really the fault of "Northerners" for not knowing and thus not caring about the history of Florida (which I don't think is necessarily an accurate representation), or is it the fault of the local population for not embellishing in it more and promoting the regional history?

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

A lot of people are ignorant. 

That couldn't be more true.  

Though I was speaking more or Orlando specifically, not Florida.  I don't think I qualify for a Northerner.. and certainly wasn't pissed off when I accepted my job here, but I was well aware of most of the things you mentioned above about the state.   And frankly, you didn't really add anything about Orlando. There is plenty of media/gaming/entertainment "history" that could be played up more here.   More in aerospace probably.  More, I think, in what the city is going to do to change the rest of the state in the future by it's continued growth and it's relatively liberal population (compared to other parts of the state).  Probably a lot of other areas I'm missing.  

The city COULD actually embrace and take more pride in the attractions here too (and I'm not sure what I mean by this.  There is an 'atmosphere' of sorts that I quickly became vaguely aware of that citizens here tend toward a resentment of the immeasurable credit that Disney/Universal/Busch have for the city being what it is today).  I could never figure out why there wasn't always a transit connection from the airport to the parks, I-drive and downtown - though I am encouraged by the beginnings of that sort of thing being on the horizon.  

I don't see this odd resentment on this forum as much FWIW.  

Edited by brainpathology
  • Like 1

Sorry if I kind of went on a rant there, went a little off topic on Florida history. And of course I wasn't speaking of all northerners, I have many friends who are from New England, Ohio, ect including my family which is from Indiana and Long Island NY, and most of them love Orlando and would never go back up.

The theme parks are a huge part of our city, which I forgot to mention. But I guess people don't see 1971 as historic yet but the whole Disney World operation started in the 60's and should be considered a historical asset to our community. 

A lot of people are ignorant. Especially the pissed off, relocated northerners who don't care for Florida. They're the same people who think Boston or New York is the oldest city in America for some reason, when we all know St Augustine, FL is. We may not of had the big time industry's and corporate city's of the north, but we do have an old interesting history compared to most states, that is overlooked. Tampa was and is still known as the cigar capital of the US, Orlando was a major part of expanding the Citrus industry throughout the country and put Florida on the map as the citrus producer of the US, Cape Canaveral was the headquarters of NASA's launching operations during the space race, and the first men on the moon touched Florida soil before they left. Miami...brought cocaine to the US (Joke). But Miami along with the rest of Florida was an integral part of WWII with training facilities and bases for the Army, Air force, and Navy because of the year round good weather provided for flying and other training exercises. The rural Southeastern end of Florida is littered with missile silos and rocket test sites that were used during the cold war. Even up in the panhandle they test the latest weapons at Eglin AFB. Not to forget the reason we are even talking about this, the integral development of Major League Baseball that was provided by small ballparks like Tinker Field throughout the state. So Florida has provided us the first city in the US, Cigars, OJ, baseball, national defense, a victory over the world, satellite's, and worldwide bragging rights with an American flag on the moon...I'd say we've done our part.

Orlando also has a military history during the past century as well, between Orlando Sanford Airport, Orlando Executive Airport, and McCoy AFB, and the Navy Training Center.  Lot's of important history there.  F-100's; B-52's; submarine training; all sorts of stuff.

• Like 1

Orlando also has a military history during the past century as well, between Orlando Sanford Airport, Orlando Executive Airport, and McCoy AFB, and the Navy Training Center.  Lot's of important history there.  F-100's; B-52's; submarine training; all sorts of stuff.

I was hoping most here knew of that. Lol. But a lot of people I have told never realized that Orlando was a big time Military town. I guess it is because little historical acknowledgment is seen throughout Orlando. There is that historical marker at Livingston and Maguire for the old Orlando Army Air base but nothing else. You would think an old WW2 Military plane or artillery piece would be set up on the open land right behind it at the least. Maybe a little museum for the Air Force and NTC history of Orlando, since there is basically nothing left of either. As for McCoy AFB, most of it was destroyed or repurposerd for OIA, but there are actually a few building that remain from the airforce base. The old motor pool building is still intact, and the old ammunition storage bunkers are actually still used by Disney for storage of there MASS supply of firework. Also, the old base golf course is now an airsoft battlefield.There's a lot of old foundations and small buildings as well. I've also heard most of those houses that are the same design in that area of Southport are all old base housing built in 61 they just resold to developers. I have driven through the area and it is pretty cool to think that the whole area was a buzzing military base at one point. It would be great to see some sort of acknowledgment by the City and County.

Here's the locations at McCoy for those who are interested;

Motor Pool: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=8883+Binnacle+Way,+Orlando,+FL&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88e762d33f377901:0xd688a931b8f7f73e,8883+Binnacle+Way,+Orlando,+FL+32827&gl=us&ei=OBdGU-qTAYugsQTPpYGoCw&ved=0CCgQ8gEwAA

Ammuntion Bunkers: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28.417549,-81.34133&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.417603,-81.339329&spn=0.004944,0.006539&z=18&iwloc=A

Golf Course (south of street address): https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3563+8th+Street,+Orlando,+FL&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88e77d33453d207d:0xdaeb0b46a65e964f,3563+8th+St,+Orlando,+FL+32827&gl=us&ei=CRpGU_uILtOqsQSqrYG4Dg&ved=0CCgQ8gEwAA

I forgot about this too, don't know if many have heard this story: http://www.hauntedplaces.org/item/orlando-executive-airport/

Sorry for going so far off topic in this thread...

Edited by truebluecfl
  • Like 1

Back in the 80's, when Fashion Square Mall was still jumping, you could go in there any weekend from Friday evening through Sunday afternoon & the place would be crowded with recent grads from the Naval Training Center, strolling around in their brand new white uniforms & spending that back pay they'd earned in boot camp & got in a lump sum at the end. 

They were a fixture around here for a long time.

• Like 1

I was hoping most here knew of that. Lol. But a lot of people I have told never realized that Orlando was a big time Military town. I guess it is because little historical acknowledgment is seen throughout Orlando. There is that historical marker at Livingston and Maguire for the old Orlando Army Air base but nothing else. You would think an old WW2 Military plane or artillery piece would be set up on the open land right behind it at the least. Maybe a little museum for the Air Force and NTC history of Orlando, since there is basically nothing left of either. As for McCoy AFB, most of it was destroyed or repurposerd for OIA, but there are actually a few building that remain from the airforce base. The old motor pool building is still intact, and the old ammunition storage bunkers are actually still used by Disney for storage of there MASS supply of firework. Also, the old base golf course is now an airsoft battlefield.There's a lot of old foundations and small buildings as well. I've also heard most of those houses that are the same design in that area of Southport are all old base housing built in 61 they just resold to developers. I have driven through the area and it is pretty cool to think that the whole area was a buzzing military base at one point. It would be great to see some sort of acknowledgment by the City and County.

Here's the locations at McCoy for those who are interested;

Motor Pool: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=8883+Binnacle+Way,+Orlando,+FL&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88e762d33f377901:0xd688a931b8f7f73e,8883+Binnacle+Way,+Orlando,+FL+32827&gl=us&ei=OBdGU-qTAYugsQTPpYGoCw&ved=0CCgQ8gEwAA

Ammuntion Bunkers: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28.417549,-81.34133&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=28.417603,-81.339329&spn=0.004944,0.006539&z=18&iwloc=A

Golf Course (south of street address): https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3563+8th+Street,+Orlando,+FL&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88e77d33453d207d:0xdaeb0b46a65e964f,3563+8th+St,+Orlando,+FL+32827&gl=us&ei=CRpGU_uILtOqsQSqrYG4Dg&ved=0CCgQ8gEwAA

I forgot about this too, don't know if many have heard this story: http://www.hauntedplaces.org/item/orlando-executive-airport/

Sorry for going so far off topic in this thread...

That is the kind of yummy yummy historical information that I can get behind.  And now I have an excuse to go visit the airport for a reason other than to escape the city.  

I hear voices in lots of foreign languages all over Orlando, at all times of the day rain or shine though... not sure I'd make any friends by suggesting that meant Orlando was haunted.   :whistling:

That is the kind of yummy yummy historical information that I can get behind.  And now I have an excuse to go visit the airport for a reason other than to escape the city.  

I hear voices in lots of foreign languages all over Orlando, at all times of the day rain or shine though... not sure I'd make any friends by suggesting that meant Orlando was haunted.   :whistling:

Yeah, I don't believe it is haunted what so ever. Just kind of threw that in their for the hell of it. But the story about the German POW's coming here and being forced to work in the Citrus Groves is pretty interesting. Wish their was more info on that story...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...