Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I thought it was great when I went to the game. I spent some time and talked to the stadium employees about the change. I worked at the old Citrus Blow as a kid and it was very nice to exchange stories.

I do miss the troughs tho... HA!  

Edited by RedStar25

There's a post on the Orlando subreddit about Tinker field being used as parking for the Citrus Bowl. I'm curious to see what the thoughts on Tinker Field are here.

While there's some value in preserving historic buildings, I'm not sure this field is worth saving. It's unlikely that any MLB team will ever relocate their Spring Training back to this stadium, especially with the fields at Disney. What value would preserving this have? I just can't see much of an economic benefit in preserving it.

There's a post on the Orlando subreddit about Tinker field being used as parking for the Citrus Bowl. I'm curious to see what the thoughts on Tinker Field are here.

While there's some value in preserving historic buildings, I'm not sure this field is worth saving. It's unlikely that any MLB team will ever relocate their Spring Training back to this stadium, especially with the fields at Disney. What value would preserving this have? I just can't see much of an economic benefit in preserving it.

Because it is one of the few remaining historic spring training stadiums I think it is worth preserving. Plus, it could easily be used for other outdoor events that wont need the 65000 seats in the Citrus Bowl. Concerts, festivals, political speeches, ect. Could also still be used for youth league baseball.

No matter what people say this still looks more urban and appealing than a parking lot.

IMG_20141215_103803_861_zpseb602774.jpg

• Like 1

Because it is one of the few remaining historic spring training stadiums I think it is worth preserving. Plus, it could easily be used for other outdoor events that wont need the 65000 seats in the Citrus Bowl. Concerts, festivals, political speeches, etc. Could also still be used for youth league baseball.

No matter what people say this still looks more urban and appealing than a parking lot.

If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?  If a structure looks "urban and appealing" and no one sees it or uses it, who does it appeal to?  Just saying.  

As far as a smaller venue goes, I think anything that could use it, will most likely opt for the Orlando City stadium.

• Like 1

I'd consider saving it because of the history and how little history we have otherwise.

As far as practical use:

Add a structure down the 1st base line that would serve as an Orlando Sports Museum. An eatery could also be incorporated - Orlando Hall of Fame Cafe. Work with Parramore community - perhaps if it was a locally owned restaurant it could draw well locally all year. Just make sure it's a person/family/group that knows what they are doing and could handle success as well as the slower times. Unlike the businesses that seemed to open next to the Arena with no marketing plans outside of location.

The main seating around home plate is the area you'd want to preserve and restore. A living museum and when any media event, awards ceremony/induction, and some other appropriate events should be held here. Could also have custom events like Movies at the Ballpark, concerts etc. I'm not crazy, most people that don't live on the west side will never visit a movie night, but it could be successful locally.

Anyway just my 2cents.

I can't bankroll it so if it doesn't happen I don't know if I'd protest.

• Like 1

Busch Stadium in Indy was in WAY worse shape, was even used as a junkyard for years, and they found a way to preserve it, make good use, and revitalize the area.

http://www.aplaceofsense.com/labels/stadium.html

http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1000146390.php

bush-stadium-cars-from-indiana-landmarks

4571374147_f99e3d5bdd_zpscebe66a6.jpg

bush_stadium-500x267_zpsa50d066f.jpg

They took an overgrown junkyard and converted it into this...

Bush-2_zpsd2558cfe.jpg

-stadiumlofts53jpg20131119_zps0c2cf7c7.j

ind_fea_bushstadiumlofts_0814_32_0_zps38

IMG_7238x_zps5b2cdb21.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

A quick search of purple products leads me to believe we have 2 real winner options for the soccer stadium:

Go-Girl Feminine Stand-to-Pee Arena, home of YOUR Orlando City Soccer Club Lions

or

Maximum Strength Desitin Baby Butt Cream Arena,  home of YOUR Orlando City Soccer Club Lions

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to stadium names, but a realist when it comes to how these decisions are made.  Does it bother me that we will now have the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl held at Camping World Stadium? yes.  Is it any different anywhere else in the country?  Practically not. Selling out is as American as it gets...

That said, stadium sponsorships with deep local ties make for more forgiving names (Coors Field in Colorado, Busch Stadium in St Louis, etc).  This unfortunately demonstrates the lack of deep local commitment from the few giants we have.  Would "Disney Field" bother anyone that much? Oh well... 

Actually, that is exactly how this stadium became known as the "Citrus Bowl" to begin with.  Long, long ago, the stadium was originally known as simply "Orlando Stadium".  Then they began hosting the annual college football bowl game and it became the "Tangerine Bowl".  In 1983, the Florida Department of Citrus became the title sponsor at a price of $250,000. The official name at the time was the "Florida Citrus Bowl" after that sponsorship, and the name "Citrus Bowl" just stuck after so many years in use.  There were subsequent title sponsors for the bowl games themselves (Capital One Bowl, Russell Athletic Bowl, Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl, etc), but the name of the stadium itself always kept the "Citrus Bowl" name in common usage because of it's history until now.  

I know I will probably always still call it the Citrus Bowl, as will most people who grew up with that name.

• Like 4

The Darden Pasta Bowl.
HD Supply Stadium
Publix Arena

Considering JetBlue has a major stake in Orlando and they made news yesterday with the first Airbus being produced in (I believe) Alabama for them... perhaps they might have the deep pockets to sponsor a civic arena.  I mention the Airbus production in America, because it shows local if not national pride.

Edited by bulldogger
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bulldogger said:

The Darden Pasta Bowl.
HD Supply Stadium
Publix Arena

Considering JetBlue has a major stake in Orlando and they made news yesterday with the first Airbus being produced in (I believe) Alabama for them... perhaps they might have the deep pockets to sponsor a civic arena.  I mention the Airbus production in America, because it shows local if not national pride.

I'd just leave the Citrus Bowl as is. But I guess now it's Camping World Stadium.

Honestly HD Supply and Publix don't sound half bad for naming, or even other local entities like Fairwinds and T.G. Lee Dairy to name a few wouldn't be so bad either. Would be cool if the city stuck with naming from historical figures of Orlando like Harry P. Leu or Joseph Bumby (too many things named after Dr. Phillips though).