Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Well someone get on down there and take some pictures!  :)  Depending on how small the medians are, I doubt we'll see trees there.  But if so, I always found trees make the road look so much nicer, and that would be an excellent way to beautify the area.  I just moved out of Orlando, so I live vicariously through others. 

• 3 weeks later...

i sense butthurt

bowl games generate their revenue

university overall is far greater asset

upgrade BHNS and host bowl games there if we even want to keep them

until citrus sports demonstrates firepower to attract NFL tenant away from another city, they need to understand their place

Not at all - I went to UCF and go to games.

UCF is 10+ miles outside of Orlando so I think it would be a challenge to have Orlando back the idea of moving all of that game related revenue outside of the city.

Plus, moving the bowl games from A to B would definitely jeopardize the Capital One Bowls prestige. It may be a dumpy area of town for us, but across the country the bowl has history and tradition.

And as a UCF fan, I'd probably drop my season tickets if we added 20K seats for two bowl games. I'd still go to games but my seats would have even less value than try do now with so much extra capacity. It would also kill the environment as we'd rarely ever have a full house.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if it would make sense to renovate the Citrus Bowl in such a way as to be a temporary home for a Major League Baseball team (I'm looking at you, Rays)?  Clearly the Rays don't draw well in St. Pete, and I can't think of any MLB team that plays in a dual-use facility anymore, now that Minnesota, and Miami have got their own digs.  

And any update on the MLS happenings?  Because if that somehow falls (fell?) through, perhaps that piece of land could be used for a baseball-only stadium that could lure away the Rays, with the Citrus Bowl hosting them in the meantime.  Or the Wide World of Sports stadium that hosts Braves games in Spring Training could be somehow expanded for a regular season schedule?

Thoughts?

UCF would have to go back to the residents in the neighborhood and get them to approve an expansion and adding games. They would probably say no. When it was built, there was an agreement to limit the number of games. 

The stadium will not be as nice as the Citrus Bowl when it is done. 

Baseball, I am not sure we could support the team here. And it would be hard to fit on the proposed MLS site. 

good post Steve

I think it would be worth a geographic study to see where people actually stay for Cap One and that other bowl - I'm sure the Boheme and second tier downtown hotels fill to capacity, but would also suspect that majority stay in tourist areas.  Have a hard time believing that moving the game would be a deal breaker on travel plans, or impact travelers' attendance in any way.

that said, I can and do appreciate the tradition of having the bowl games downtown and how locals feel about that. it certainly is fun to go to games downtown...

regarding value of season tickets, I'd rather see FCS and city of Orlando partner with UCF to elevate the facility and program and increase value through competition. it's a win-win for all.

the problem is the FCS folks with egos too big for such a thing, but without the ability to change status quo on regular tenant situation. they simply don't have ability to attract an NFL team, and Orlando couldn't support one anyway. there is no 'UCF of the future' in the area to become a major tenant - Stetson or Rollins will certainly never get there. there will likely never be another high-level, regular rent check at CB.

bottom line, dumping millions of dollars into MLS SSS and UCF program/stadium is a far better deal than dumping millions of dollars into something that's going to sit empty 363 days a year. would love to see FCS move offices to new MLS stadium, establish operations on campus at UCF, and doze the dump.

Tampa is already intent on building a downtown stadium for the Rays with private investors and county commissioners working for that cause, so I don't see the Rays making a move over here ever. As much as I'd love that being a Rays fan, they belong in Tampa. MLS is the best option for Orlando and would be largely successful. I truly believe Orlando City's popularity will blow the Magic out of the water. 

As for the Citrus Bowl, I still believe renovation is the best bet. UCF would never allow high profile international soccer friendlies (field size to small for soccer aswell), NFL preseason games, multiple bowl games, monster trucks, and mega concerts with 50k+. Its already been discussed on how the homeowners in the area wont allow these number of events the Citrus Bowl will. Plus even if they did hypothetically, the crowd sizes would be much smaller for any of those events at Brighthouse field because of the location. Downtown has multiple highways for people to travel with I4, 408, Turnpike, and 50 making it much easier to access, and plenty of bars for post event.

Plus, the history of the Citrus Bowl isn't worth destroying. People have been attending games there for 80 years and still enjoy it today.

UCF would have to go back to the residents in the neighborhood and get them to approve an expansion and adding games. They would probably say no. When it was built, there was an agreement to limit the number of games. 

The stadium will not be as nice as the Citrus Bowl when it is done. 

Baseball, I am not sure we could support the team here. And it would be hard to fit on the proposed MLS site. 

I believe any agreements with the neighborhoods are void when their HOAs took UCF to court to block the stadium. When the HOAs lost in court it removed any restrictions. 

That being said, UCF has made it pretty clear in the community that BHNS is only going to be used for UCF Football Games. I believe this is due to several reasons, 1) limited parking situation (school essentially has to be closed for any stadium event). 2) drinking: UCF wants to limit the amount of tailgating / drinking done on campus. They realize that their donors love tailgating and do not want to alienate their Alumni, however they don't gain anything from letting 'outsiders' in. 

I'm excited about all the new venues along Church Street. It's going to make it a 'party' part of town. Maybe give us some hometown spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I look a the renderings for the renovation, the less I like it.

The place looks like a South Florida shopping mall.

It looks like when you walk in, you're going to be greeted by elevator music & women's fashion boutiques.

I'd rather have a football stadium that looks like a football stadium.

Not that light, airy looking, wussy-fussy designer crap.

I like the renderings of the Citrus Bowl quite a lot, but renderings can make things look better than they turn out to actually be, specifically when it comes to materials used.

Though I like it, I don't like it quite so much for Orlando.  It would work for Miami.  Then again, most of the design elements are just bright South Florida tropical colors, and we all know Orlando and Miami are about as similar as New York and Boston.  

As for a Rays stadium in downtown Tampa, the latest doesn't look good.  From today's Tampa Tribune:

TAMPA — Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig on Thursday said stadium discussions between the Tampa Bay Rays and St. Petersburg have stalled and that he was considering intervening in the issue.  Just last week, St. Petersburg Mayor Bill Foster said he’s open to allowing the Rays to look in Hillsborough County for stadium sites, something the mayor had resisted for at least two years.

To be honest, it seems to me. They are not serious about the Rays new stadium. Tampa really does not deserve 3 professional teams. A lack of support. Give Orlando 1.

In fact, Orlando was in the running for the franchise that became the Rays but we were outmaneuvered by St. Pete at the time due to a threatened lawsuit, among other things. The Trop was a white elephant from the beginning and Tampa Bay is riddled with the issue of competing power centers among the various governmental entities. We are fortunate that, when it really matters, both the central Florida politicians and the voters have generally been more willing to play with others. (That's a far cry, btw, from the bad old days of "Ax the Tax" and Clarence Hoenstine killing light rail in the region.) The most recent agreement on the venues which sailed through the TDC with nary a discouraging word shows just how far we've come.

TAMPA — Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig on Thursday said stadium discussions between the Tampa Bay Rays and St. Petersburg have stalled and that he was considering intervening in the issue.  Just last week, St. Petersburg Mayor Bill Foster said he’s open to allowing the Rays to look in Hillsborough County for stadium sites, something the mayor had resisted for at least two years.

That article was off. It is just recently that St Pete started allowing discussions with Hillsborough and the Rays. Before they were threating to sue if any discussions were made with any intention or threat to take the Rays across the bay. There has been several talks of private investors, possibly even including a Hillsborough county commissioner. Selig had no idea what was going on and came out to see what's happening. Talks have stalled as there is not yet a solid plan known by the public but it is know the Rays want to be in downtown Tampa. Either on the empty lots near channelside or right between downtown and Ybor city on the land with the old apartments (projects). The owner of the apartments said they would be willing to sell it to the Rays if they wanted to buy it for a stadium. Who knows what will happen but if there's any team in Tampa Bay that deserves anything its the Rays by far. The Trop is the only dome stadium remaining,with a proper baseball stadium in an easily accessible (and hopefully revitalized) downtown I think they would do fine. I know I'd beable to attend atleast 20 more games a year. Hopefully something happens because I'd rather have the Tampa Bay Rays over Montreal Rays because St Pete wants to feel like they have something and be a wannabe big city. Orlando would be nice but I'd honestly rather see them stay in Tampa, I think with MLS we will be good until 2030, then maybe we could get some baseball or even football...

• 3 months later...

Great article. I'm not crazy about the rectangular glass walls but I think it will look better in person than I perceive. I like the standing room area on the North side and the view that you will have looking over the lake. Also, I see the endzones will all be bench seating with backs. I'm glad they are sticking with a traditional college style seating for the end zones at least. Big comfy seats are okay for the club and sidelines, but bench seating influences standing, which creates a much better atmosphere. Overall it looks it will be much better than Jacksonville's or Miami and on par with Ray Jay (minus the Pirate ship). it would be cool if they could do something distinctive for the Citrus Bowl. Maybe a big light up Orange tree version of "Cedar of Lebanon?" 

Yeah, I don't understand the concept of making it completely flat. Most stadiums never do that unless there's a purpose, like Santa Clara stadium, the 49'ers new place. Hopefully something changes about that, but still looks better that the bare steel that's showing now. I expect it to end up looking like the front of Amway if anything...

Typos are funny sometimes.

"The goal is to keep the Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium competitive with other football stadiums across the county to continue to host the existing game and events but also increase the amount and size of events."

I am not thrilled with the look of the rendering, but perhaps the actual result will be more appealing.  And to hear that it's 80% new construction is pretty impressive, considering it won't be used very often.