Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bianchi gives us the latest on XFL at Camping World Stadium. Apparently, it's a year behind AAF at the Bounce House.

I'm thankful he mentions all the failed minor-league teams that have tried this before and now we're going to have TWO teams at the same time? Hmmmm.

Not to mention when ABC's "Coach" decided to ditch the NCAA for the pros and lovely shots of the Citrus Bowl every week, the ratings promptly tanked and sent Jerry Van Dyke scurrying back to Big Lots.

I have to admit I'll be thrilled to have the Head Ball Coach throwing his visor around again but I have a rough time seeing this going well.

Vince McMahon vs. Steve Spurrier? XFL contacts Orlando about bringing second pro football team to town
http://bit.ly/2HLFNZw

From the Sentinel

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It's official... (at least) one more round of the NFL Pro Bowl in 2019:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/08/03/the-nfl-pro-bowl-is-coming-back-to-orlando-in-2019

From Orlando Weekly

Very nice.  A thumbnail on the landing page mentioned also that Orlando gets the 2019 MLS All Star Game as well.  I think that was already discussed...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Orlando has approved $8 million in renovations to the west side's Lorna Doone Park in cooperation with FCS. It will include the first splash pad in an Orlando public park.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-orlando-council-approves-lake-lorna-doone-park-upgrades-20180904-story.html

From the Sentinel

• Like 2

Agree about the park. The CW Stadium now wants 60M more for reno. This place is a money pit and still looks like a high school stadium for all the money spent on it.  Bulldoze it and put a state-of-the art NFL quality retractable roof stadium for goodness sake and stop wasting money of this thing. I honestly believe ORL can bring Shad Kahn and the Jags if we did this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

Agree about the park. The CW Stadium now wants 60M more for reno. This place is a money pit and still looks like a high school stadium for all the money spent on it.  Bulldoze it and put a state-of-the art NFL quality retractable roof stadium for goodness sake and stop wasting money of this thing. I honestly believe ORL can bring Shad Kahn and the Jags if we did this.

Sadly, that's not going to happen unless the Bucs leave Tampa. Jacksonville was the compromise.

26 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

Well here is the problem. Orlando should have done that from the start but didn't. Where is the source they want more money? I thought they were done with renovations?
But yes it's Not NFL Quality unfortunately.

18 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Sadly, that's not going to happen unless the Bucs leave Tampa. Jacksonville was the compromise.

While this has always been true and still might be, Orlando's human market and media market continues to grow. We as a market can definitely support another team and Florida Can Support another NFL team. A Matter if NFL wants to, probably not. But Orlando getting an NFL team would boost so much for the area and city.

49 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Well here is the problem. Orlando should have done that from the start but didn't. Where is the source they want more money? I thought they were done with renovations?
But yes it's Not NFL Quality unfortunately.

While this has always been true and still might be, Orlando's human market and media market continues to grow. We as a market can definitely support another team and Florida Can Support another NFL team. A Matter if NFL wants to, probably not. But Orlando getting an NFL team would boost so much for the area and city.

Essentially, the way the NFL is run gives the Glaser family veto power over a team in Orlando. Further, the NFL hasn't shown any inclination to have franchises only 85 miles apart (and, perhaps more importantly, in overlapping TV markets.) 

The only exceptions have been legacy teams grandfathered in and places like LA with much larger populations. Given that the NFL is one of the most hidebound institutions in the country, I just can't imagine it changing anytime soon. 

The better option for improving the Citrus Bowl would be as part of a successful Olympic bid.

Or, heck, if UCF keeps movin' on up, maybe one day they'll replace the Bounce House with something on the order of The Big House in Michigan or the Rose Bowl.

Also, the Harris Rosen era is coming to a close on I-Drive. If the powers that be in "Downtown Orange County" ever relent, the constantly growing TDT could pay for all the bells and whistles you want. My question is just how many events will a better venue attract that will put more heads in beds.

Of course, the Glasers could always propose a Super Bowl here instead of RayJ. I suspect that would cause heads to explode in Tampa, however.

• Thanks 1