Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I pray the Citrus Bowl does not look like that. The pics look old, and it looks like something you would see in Miami with those colors, palm trees, and the sail boat.  Who designed this OMG?!!!!

The Citrus Bowl proposed renderings look better than this. I would prefer that design if you ask me. It looks like they only designed the lobby area, but I guess we will have to wait and see how the final renderings will look when the summer time come.  

Yeah. I much prefer the design above ^^.

But if they've decided to go with the other one, it would look a lot better if all that steel beam work was enclosed with some type of reflective glass.

Honestly... why would they put those escalators right next to a wide open exterior like that??? :shok:   :dontknow:

Imagine what it would be like riding them during a storm with a driving rain blowing in or on a windy, freezing cold day. :cold:

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Edited by JFW657

I guess I'm the only one that prefers the newer renderings.  Sure we aren't Miami, and this does have a bit of a South Florida tinge, but we aren't JAX either. The earlier renderings played it too safe, in my opinion.

This reminds me a bit of the Amway Center design evolution; the final plan was much more modern and glassy in comparison to the initial concept.

I'm not opposed to the look - really we're putting lipstick (and a couple of box suites) on a pig. It looks like the grandstand is white in the rendering - I wonder if everything white is raw concrete... then, it won't be as nice.  I think it modern and sensible.

I'm not a person to attend sporting events, but I think with modern, resilient finishes and accommodations that are livable - adequate restrooms, concessions, etc - it should last another 20 or 30 years.

• Like 1

Having attended over 20+ games at the citrus bowl... One of the biggest items (outside of what is being talked about) that needs to be addressed is the tailgate/parking areas. It's a dump and it looks terrible. I feel bad for tourists because they don't know what they are traveling into. If they are going to renovate than they need to improve fan experience and fans spend on average just as much time in the lots as they do inside. Also, are they discussing a new score board? We need to stay up to par with other newer venues if we are to compete for events.

I'm not opposed to the look - really we're putting lipstick (and a couple of box suites) on a pig. It looks like the grandstand is white in the rendering - I wonder if everything white is raw concrete... then, it won't be as nice.  I think it modern and sensible.

I'm not a person to attend sporting events, but I think with modern, resilient finishes and accommodations that are livable - adequate restrooms, concessions, etc - it should last another 20 or 30 years.

I was walking around the old girl yesterday at the Capt. One bowl and I have to say, if they remove the 1st/2nd sections and only leave the 3rd level upper deck, we're going to have a nice facility.

I'm a big UCF fan, and the stadium we built for $45 million may not be the best, but it's a thousand times better than the Citrus Bowl. $150 million will be more than enough to bring Orlando a stadium that's one of the top non-NFL stadiums.

Heck, I think we'll see JAX JAGs looking at playing a few games at the Citrus Bowl if we can do a good job here!

• Like 1

Having attended over 20+ games at the citrus bowl... One of the biggest items (outside of what is being talked about) that needs to be addressed is the tailgate/parking areas. It's a dump and it looks terrible. I feel bad for tourists because they don't know what they are traveling into. If they are going to renovate than they need to improve fan experience and fans spend on average just as much time in the lots as they do inside. Also, are they discussing a new score board? We need to stay up to par with other newer venues if we are to compete for events.

Good point. The area around the Citrus Bowl needs an overhaul, too. Not just the parking lots, but also the gateways to the stadium itself. Hope that's part of a long-term plan, too.

I personally like the color scheme - the oranges, yellows, and white. Hey, they don't call it the Citrus Bowl for nothing. I like the exposed escalator/concourse, as well. I'm assuming it would be shielded from the elements somewhat, similar to the escalator at the SoDo Target.

Sort of being a devil's advocate and sort of expressing my feelings here:

If the goal was to lure a tenant like UCF back or to establish the bowl as a viable home for the Lions in the long term, I'd say let's invest in the area a little more.

But since the goal is just to maintain and or improve our standing in the world of college bowl games - is it really a priority?  I don't know the answer to that but if the bowl execs aren't asking for it then I don't know if money should be spent on that.  Visitors aren't going to not come back over it and locals aren't going to pass up a chance should their alma mater across the country end up in our backyard for a big New Years game. 

That said - as an Orlando resident and enthusiast - of course I want to see the whole area improved! 

Officials have already threatened to leave over the current state of the Citrus Bowl. The only thing keeping the bowls in Orlando is Orlando itself. If the Citrus Bowl were in a less desirable destination than Orlando, these bowl games would have been long gone. No one claimed it was free to maintain the status quo, but it is a lot cheaper than doing nothing at all and losing a billion dollar revenue generator.

I guess I'm the only one that prefers the newer renderings.  Sure we aren't Miami, and this does have a bit of a South Florida tinge, but we aren't JAX either. The earlier renderings played it too safe, in my opinion.

This reminds me a bit of the Amway Center design evolution; the final plan was much more modern and glassy in comparison to the initial concept.

No, I like the Newer renderings. It's more Orlando and Florida to me than the boring renderings. 

No, I like the Newer renderings. It's more Orlando and Florida to me than the boring renderings. 

I like the other other renderings that were posted a few posts back.

The newer design looks too "light & airy". Almost flimsy looking.

I liked the other ones because it looked more solid & modern.

I don't go for the light, breezy tropical "Miami" look.

What ever happned to the proposal to "revitalize" parramore with the Citrus bowl renovations?

IDK but I still can't figure out why the city doesn't build a sports themed district here.  A hotel with observation tower, a small retail area, sports museum (with a focus on Tinker Field).  Instead we get a sailboat in the homeless bathtub lake (no offense but it's true that this area is a homeless hide out and until it's taken care of (more than just a Men's Center expansion can address) no real change will come to this area) and stadium that still has all the issues that the former Amway Arena had.

^Well, if there isn't a major sports team involved, where will the people come from?  While I'd like this to happen it just doesn't seem possible given the fact that the Citrus Bowl is utliized for bowl games and other random events throughout the year.  I think the best we can hope for right now is a revitalized stadium in hopes that it will bring in greater YoY revenue.

DeVos' entertainment complex adjacent to Amway will go a long way in getting more people across I-4 for things other than a game.  Personally I cannot wait to see what he has in store for that lot.

IDK but I still can't figure out why the city doesn't build a sports themed district here.  A hotel with observation tower, a small retail area, sports museum (with a focus on Tinker Field).  Instead we get a sailboat in the homeless bathtub lake (no offense but it's true that this area is a homeless hide out and until it's taken care of (more than just a Men's Center expansion can address) no real change will come to this area) and stadium that still has all the issues that the former Amway Arena had.

I agree, and it could easily be that area of town. The thing I dont understand is if the city is keeping Tinker field why not renovate that as well (private inverstors, mlb team) and get a spring training team here. Perhaps a big name team like the Red Sox, or Phillies. (as much as I hate them). Not to mention they could get a minor league team aswell. That along with the renovated Citrus bowl hosting more event, concerts, and games would really help the city out, and bring more future develpoment to the west side of downtown.

Here is an amazing photo of NY.  But I am including it here because we have this great stretch of land bordered to the east by the Amway Center and the West by the Citrus Bowl. 

Could a few select developments (like the building that seems like a hotel on the north side of Central Park in the photo) help build and maintain a mall?

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/science/Amateur-built-environment-1-Sergey-Semenov.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

All of Church Street from Tampa Ave going behind the Citrus Bowl has been torn up and is being redone. There's a sign I was going to take a picture of but my phone was dead. Looks like there will be small island medians in the middle of the street where light posts or trees will go.