Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

• 2 weeks later...

Citrus Bowl transformation involves much more than national title game

It will be interesting to see what comes of this - it's difficult to think of a football stadium that is an asset rather than a liability to the surrounding neighborhoods:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-florida-citrus-sports-george-diaz-1220-20131219,0,1780810.column 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's going to be difficult: " On May 14, 2004, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. " Of course, as we know, Buddy never met a historic structure he didn't want to demolish so he's probably taking the approach used with the Jaymont Block and allowing it to slowly fall apart until there's nothing left to save. It is the seedy underside of this administration.

Some info if you don't know who Joe Tinker was and how important he was to baseball:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Tinker

Fortunately, we do still have the Tinker Building:

Edited by spenser1058

Tinker Field is the oldest remaining ballpark in the state of Florida. One piece of baseball history they haven't completely screwed up..yet. In fact, around 1000 of the seats at Tinker are from old Griffith stadium that was in D.C. I hope this stadium can remain a part of our community, if they could lightly renovate it they could at least get a minor league team there, or open it up to the public, or even a museum. Last thing I want to see is Tinker torn down.

Tinker_zps6ad6622d.jpgtinker_field_9_zps449b6c93.jpgtinker_zpsba451588.jpgimages_zps071f8798.jpgCopyofharmonkillebrew1_zps11f6e1e7.jpg

• Like 2

I'm the biggest baseball historian around but the stadium is in complete disrepair. No way a minor league team would be successful at that location. Maybe if a new stadium was closer to amway and the soccer stadium. We are not talking about Fenway Park here. Anyway once Winter Park lands the Manatees Orlando will be shutout of Minor League ball (within 15 miles).

It is in bad condition, but not that bad. I was in there a couple years ago, and its not beyond repair. The location? Isn't the whole point of the Citrus Bowl renovations and the Church street revamp to make a more walkable and friendly envioronment along the Chruch street corridor? I'm not saying to make it a state of the art stadium but doing something like what they did with James P Small Park  in Jacksonville would be reasonable. (I'm sure you know about James P since your the biggest baseball historian around) And no, its not Fenway park but it is only 2 years younger and a big part of Florida baseball history that Floridians do care about.

James P Small Park

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=James+P.+Small+Park&fb=1&gl=us&hq=james+p+small+park+jacksonville+fl&cid=11406684131916926445&ei=jpnlUu3PGfOpsQSasYCwBw&ved=0CKEBEPwSMA4

The sidelines will be individual seats, the endzones will still be bench seats but with backs, same setup they have at the Rose Bowl. I'm pretty sure the upper decks will still be benches too. Most people stand the entire time at the bowl games so the bench seating is fine. People who want to sit comfortably just have to pay more for the sidelines.

Pretty sure this tells you everything:

Citrus-Bowl-Rendering-mdash-Seating-Plan

They have been moving quick, doing a great job. Cant wait to see construction start going up.

Residents and commissioners fighting to save Tinker Field

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-02-04/news/os-saving-tinker-field-20140204_1_ballpark-city-hall-demolition

Some valid points in the article. If the field will be too short for baseball why not convert the remaining land into a park and keep the historic structures to be converted into a museum? Plus, it would give the fans who pay big $ for that air conditioned club area a nice view from the west side of the stadium, since there's not much to look at towards Pine Hills...