Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

6 hours ago, metal93 said:

I'd just leave the Citrus Bowl as is. But I guess now it's Camping World Stadium.

Honestly HD Supply and Publix don't sound half bad for naming, or even other local entities like Fairwinds and T.G. Lee Dairy to name a few wouldn't be so bad either. Would be cool if the city stuck with naming from historical figures of Orlando like Harry P. Leu or Joseph Bumby (too many things named after Dr. Phillips though).

Historical figures don't write big, fat multi-million dollar checks, though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bulldogger said:

The Darden Pasta Bowl.
HD Supply Stadium
Publix Arena

Considering JetBlue has a major stake in Orlando and they made news yesterday with the first Airbus being produced in (I believe) Alabama for them... perhaps they might have the deep pockets to sponsor a civic arena.  I mention the Airbus production in America, because it shows local if not national pride.

My only problem with unfortunately named stadiums is when it's a carpet bagger thing. These guys are a Kentucky company. Local would be better. 

Is there a side deal to name the Tinker Field RV Park?

On April 28, 2016 at 2:35 PM, HankStrong said:

They are as local as most anything.

Even Disney, Universal, and Sea World aren't local if you're super strict in your definition.

Disney and Universal have major operations here and Sea World originally was tied to HBJ's offices. Theme parks are the only reason this burg is bigger than Lakeland. Of course none of them would put their name on a facility they wouldn't run, but Camping World is just a store front in Kissimmee with locations across the US.

7-11 probably has more of a local tie to the community than these guys. 

Well I don't think Disney would put their name on an aging facility like the citrus bowl that has no major league home team, but they have increased their support for the local community especially under Meg Croftons tenure. Let's not forget their generous donation to the Dr. Phillips.

• Like 1

I've heard it suggested that we nickname it "The Camp".

I'm kind of partial to "The CW" or maybe "The CWB".

5 hours ago, bulldogger said:

After the November ballot initiative, there may be a Morgan & Morgan Marijuana Bowl.

The Morgan & Morgan Smoke-a Bowl? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

People are reporting that the NFL Pro Bowl is moving to the Citrus Bowl   SUPER AMAZING CAMPING CITY WORLD TOWING AND TRAILER LAND STADIUM AND PLACE FOR KIDS WHO DON'T READ GOOD   (Comic sans required)

All links say basically the same thing, and it's not been officially announced, but everyone is running with the rumor.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15616635/pro-bowl-reportedly-moving-honolulu-orlando-next-season

https://twitter.com/search?q=pro+bowl+orlando&ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/19/report-pro-bowl-moving-to-orlando/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-19/nfl-said-to-be-moving-pro-bowl-game-to-orlando-from-honolulu

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-the-nfl-is-moving-the-pro-bowl-to-orlando/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

What people don't seem to get is that certain infrastructure (road/ highway) was planned and built with growth in mind from back in the Late '50's.  This infrastructure (along with location) were the reasons that Disney chose SW Orange County to build.  Same with these other companies/ industries.  If I-4 and TNPK were not located where they were, Disney would not have come (and the location of I-4 was battled over in Tallahassee so that it would pass through downtown for this very reason, so that Orlando would grow). 

That's a great summary. I've always argued that point, but could never articulate it quite like that.

Unfortunately, while I-4's location was a boon to Orlando as a whole, it was also detrimental to our downtown fabric. If only they'd placed it a little farther outside of town (like the Turnpike), we'd have some more historically urban blocks left and less of a divide towards Parramore. Luckily, a lot of projects, road improvements, and I-4 Ultimate are starting to mend that gap.

To tie it back to the topic of the Citrus Bowl, I checked out Broken Cauldron (or Broken Strings/Black Cauldron or whatever) on West Church Street during one of its soft openings this week during the Copa game. I have to say, I was pretty impressed with what they've done on Church. The landscaping, newly paved streets and freshly painted lines, dedicated Lymmo lane, and sidewalk width made for a really urban environment. Lots of street lighting, which was both aesthetic and made the area feel safer. I also think they painted/renovated some of the warehouses besides the brewery. Driving home, the renovated Stonewall looked good lit up. Lots of people walking and biking towards downtown from the Citrus Bowl, which was good to see.

^^

What he said as well.

I went to see the Stones several months ago (or last year?) and walked back to the CBD along Church St. at night.  It is very lit up.  I just drove that corridor on Friday afternoon coincidentally from the Citrus Bowl and it isn't bad; it's industrial but not slummy.  I'm still impressed with the Citrus Bowl renovations.

Thanks for the schoolin' jrs2. I am guilty of repeating what I've heard rather than any real research into things. I've lived in both places moving up I-4 as work pulled me out of St. Pete after HS arriving in Orlando in 1987 though started commuting to EPCOT in 1986.

On 6/19/2016 at 2:10 PM, Boomer136 said:

Thanks for the schoolin' jrs2. I am guilty of repeating what I've heard rather than any real research into things. I've lived in both places moving up I-4 as work pulled me out of St. Pete after HS arriving in Orlando in 1987 though started commuting to EPCOT in 1986.

Years ago on another forum there was alot of back and forth between Tampa and Orlando people over which place was more important based on its history, industry, etc.  I did alot of research bc I started getting sick and tired of hearing certain stuff.  I was amazed at what I learned about the area.  And I got alot of info from other forumers as well.  I created a few threads here and on that other forum site talkiing about Orlando's military history, import/export, etc.  And I've forgotten alot of that info too.

----

A further example of what we were talking about is a latest report on the OBJ on how Orlando is lacking in industrial space inventory based on the low vacancy rate.  Wow.  And they just built the 2m sq ft Walmart distribution center in Four Corners, the new industrial space off of SLR near Fla Mall, near 441 and Fla TNPK, etc.  Trader Joe's 900k sq ft center opened up in Daytona this past year.  All this is bc of the roadway network, central location, etc... fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who worked frequently around the OBT and Taft Vineland road area, and still go there maybe once a quarter, I can tell you traffic is outrageous there. Plenty of lanes wherever Lexus are driven, but mile back ups of trucks. The productivity loss is huge and while there is more land for more companies there, I don't know anyone who really wants to do anything there until the traffic is sorted.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...