Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Which signs aren't consistent? Which ones are they refering to? Greenville has the most consistent signing of any city I've ever seen. All "Welcome to Greenville" signs, parking deck signs, "more this way signs" West End signs, "spaced out signs", Falls Park signs, etc are consistent....same font, same "G" logo, same colors of Greenville Green and purple. I'm glad to see Greenville looking at this level of detail! :thumbsup:

I'm with NYT. I think they're referring to the actual street signs. They're fairly inconsistent throughout the city. Hopefully they'll extend the consistency from these other signs to the street signs and append the standards that are followed as such, too. It sure would be nice if they'd 1: Enlarge the signs to a standard size and with standard lettering, 2: add the city logo to each one (such as in this photo - too large for me to include inline), 3: add some of those overhead illuminated signs that vicupstate referenced above...those things are throughout Orlando and other cities in Florida.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't find any photos of the Illuminated/Backlit Orlando/Orange County signs online, but this one from Rancho Cucamonga, CA is very similar:

32814132_ef4595ed5b.jpg

Just replace the bunch of grapes on the left with the City Logo or County Logo on a white background and that's what you have in Orlando.

I could definitely see these throughout Greenville with the styleized Greenville G-logo2.jpg on the left. :thumbsup:

I also like the fact that these signs tell you what block you're on (the 8200 block, for example, in the photo above).

^ I've always liked these kind of street signs. They are big in West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale as well. A friend in Florida told me they are so popular there because of the amount of retired persons, with diminished eyesight. Don't know if thats true or not. Would be great if Greenville would install this system, at least in town.

^ I've always liked these kind of street signs. They are big in West Palm and Ft. Lauderdale as well. A friend in Florida told me they are so popular there because of the amount of retired persons, with diminished eyesight. Don't know if thats true or not. Would be great if Greenville would install this system, at least in town.

They're in use both for persons with diminished eyesight and also to aid tourists in easily identifying major thoroughfares. The side benefit of this, of course, is that it makes it much easier for all ranges of drivers to find their way around.

We have signs like those in Rock Hill now, mostly along Cherry Road. I first saw them out in Orange County, CA. It would be an excellent idea for Greenville, since the city already has excellent signage downtown. The only downfall is that these signs would only be contained within the city limits.

In the issue out tonight:

TBA Column:

* Bridge railings on Academy and CHurch Streets have been painted green to enhance the eye-appeal. New street lamps will be installed along Church St.

I wonder what happened to this upgrade? Has anyone heard anything? If not, I'll have to see if I can find out what the status on this project is. :unsure:

In this week's Greenville Journal:

Front Cover Story: "Greenville lands national cycling championship"

Business Cover Story: "Perplexing Pleasantburg" (This story is about the city's efforts fixing up Pleasantburg Drive and making it look nicer).

TBA:

*What's eating the Grape? There are signs for the Atlanta-based restaurant plastered across Riverplace's glass windows along Main Street. The company's Web site says opening summer 2007, but as of right now the city isn't allowing anything to go forward. An appeal of the zoning board's decision has been filed in the state circuit court.

*Expect to hear some more news soon on collaboration between people trying to plot futures for Greenville and Spartanburg.

*St. Francis Hospital may soon make an announcement in the coming weeks giving more details about what it plans to do with property it recently purchased on the Millennium Campus.

*The moving of the Shoeless Joe Jackson house to a permanent location in the West End could be done by February. The house will become a museum and be located across from the new baseball stadium.

*Very Creative are the words some have used for the future of Greenville Mall. A new ownership bought the complex in December. There is a push to have it mesh aesthetically with the nearby Verdae Development, which is under construction.

*A Charlotte-based developer said he is looking at property in downtown Greenville to open a possible karaoke bar. He said he was impressed by the city's nightlife on a recent downtown visit.

Also, look on page 15 at the bottom. There is a story about a new statue coming to downtown Greenville on April 20. The statue will be placed across the street from the Shoeless Joe Jackson statue in the West End.

Also, look on page 15 at the bottom. There is a story about a new statue coming to downtown Greenville on April 20. The statue will be placed across the street from the Shoeless Joe Jackson statue in the West End.

Dennis Heimbach is the sculptor that created the gloss painted metal sculpture seen in this photo:

92214379_783b826a22_b.jpg

So, expect something similar to this, perhaps in the shape of a "we" for West End (I'm speculating)?

It'll likely be placed in the middle of the landscaping here:

92211830_3d29e7ada0_b.jpg

*St. Francis Hospital may soon make an announcement in the coming weeks giving more details about what it plans to do with property it recently purchased on the Millennium Campus.

I have a feeling the I-85 "skyline" will continue to rapidly develop.

For 2006/2/3...

Articles

-Laurens Road turnaround

-Piazza Bergamo makeover

-Furman University and the Swamp Rabbit railroad

TBAs

-The Upstate Alliance is developing a group of 30-second spots for the Golf Channel aimed at showcasing the region as a place to do business...

-New Carolina was unveiled last week. The state-wide marketing push to get South Carolina more competitive economically should be a major player for the next few years. But it faces a lot of challenges...

-One of those is the stark reality South Carolina can't continue to be competitive for new jobs because the economic foundations aren't here. Ed Sellers, the group's chairman, said people are coming out of the woodwork to get that foundation built...

-Hello, Cleveland. Another goal of New Carolina simply put "to make rock stars out of researchers." George Fletcher, the group's executive director, made that comment at the Greater Greenville Chamber's annual meeting. The idea is South Carolina has to realize how important research is for the growth of the economy...

-Ever wondered how South Carolin's top 200 companies do day-to-day? There is talk of putting those companies on a list and track their stock reports. No one is doing that, but it is considered a smart way of tracking business growth...

-Something to think about it. A lot of people blame South Carolina's economic woes on the Interstate 95 poverty belt counties such as Lee and Marion. But there are more people living below the poverty level in Greenville than those eight counties combined...

-Something to think about it. A lot of people blame South Carolina's economic woes on the Interstate 95 poverty belt counties such as Lee and Marion. But there are more people living below the poverty level in Greenville than those eight counties combined...

Thanks to a government giving free handouts without requiring people to make structured improvements. <_<

I hadn't realized that the original plans for Piazza Bergamo called for it to cross North Main Street and extend on down Coffee Street to Spring Street. This article suggested that the original plans be implemented this time around. I'd have to agree with that, as long as it doesn't impede traffic on Main Street. :unsure: It would be totally cool to have Coffee Street become a pedestrian mall combined with a plaza/piazza and be park-like. It could truly be an area for everybody to enjoy! :thumbsup:

I like the idea!

I'd like to see the Regions Bank building changed though. It sits off the street a little and has not street front anything... That would be a vital corner for this plan to work if it goes all the way to Spring Street. Hopefully the parking lot across Coffee Street would be developed...

This week:

Articles:

** Appeals Court overturns judge's Railroad order - This concerns the County owned rail line between TR & Gville

** Article on USCU decision to drop building a Gville campus.

** A local heiress leaves $500,000 each to The Kroc Center, Lake Conestee Nature Park and Greenville Forward.

** Tree Advisory Committee starts work

** Article on Truth Ministry billboard (see Truthministry.com)

** Jury awards $ 2.6mm to Verne Cassaday for the property he lost to the city for the Riverplace stairway.

** Article on local Commercial Real Estate market

TBA:

** Piggly Wiggly is considering locations in Gville

** Annexation is a big issue right now for the city of Gville. Expect to hear something soon on a small, but significant section of a very affluent neighborhood coming into the city.

** The future of Gville Mall could be announced by the end of the month. A significant amount of retailers are interested in the site

** a John D, Hollingsworth Memorial may be in the works.

** Land clearing has started behing Haywood Mall for a fairly sizeable Medical Office complex

** The city will likely apply for a federal economic Admin. grant to help will Palmetto Exo Center renovations. The city is also seeking funds to jump start the long-planned East Washington Connector.

Although Hollingsworth's name is associated with major developments today, I'm surprised there is interest in a memorial for him, considering he was a hard loner and hoarder of money and land. He didn't ever offer that prime land for development during his life, and I've heard personal stories of his dealings with family members and employees of his business. It will be interesting to see what the memorial says.

I don't care to see Piggly Wiggly back in the Upstate, or at least not in Greenville.

Anyone know anything about the "sizeable medical office complex?" This area is already noticeable with fairly dense suburban offices. I'm surprised at the location, but if it is on or near Halton Road, it will be in close proximity to the Patewood medical campus. :thumbsup:

More Greenville annexation is a GREAT piece of news! :D

Although Hollingsworth's name is associated with major developments today, I'm surprised there is interest in a memorial for him, considering he was a hard loner and hoarder of money and land. He didn't ever offer that prime land for development during his life, and I've heard personal stories of his dealings with family members and employees of his business. It will be interesting to see what the memorial says.

I don't care to see Piggly Wiggly back in the Upstate, or at least not in Greenville.

More Greenville annexation is a GREAT piece of news! :D

Hollingsworth was eccentric to put it very mildly, but there is nothing wrong in what he did as a landholder. He was very rich, but didn't choose to flaunt his wealth and when he gave to charity it was annonymous. He did have a falling out with his ex-wife and daughter, but we don't know his side of that. He did pay for his grandkids to go to college. He also left all his money to local charitites. All of that is admirable.

Think of it this way, if he had sold all his holdings earlier, we wouldn't be seeing it develop now. If it had been developed then, it would all be '70's suburban sprawl. This way it will be denser, more urban, and mass transit friendly. ICAR would have to go even farther from DT Gville.

Also, he did annex much of his holdings into the city decades ago. He didn't have to do that.

As for Piggly Wiggly, they aren't the same chain that the were 15 years ago. They are more upscale and Publix-like.

** Land clearing has started behing Haywood Mall for a fairly sizeable Medical Office complex

Recently a portion (25.5 acres) of Fluor's office complex Halton Point came available for sale.

758D3D5A-616F-44A7-BF4A-BDD39D82D35D_or.jpg

Is this the property being mentioned?

Also, an email went out a few months ago at Fluor that a portion of the campus had been sold so that a Hotel could be built. But I have no further details.

That is interesting about Flour selling part of their property. Great location for mixed-use development!

The unspecified property being cleared for the medical office complex could be on Mall Connector Road. I haven't been through that area in awhile, so I can't say I've seen any signs of development there recently, but it would be another possibility. My first inclination is somewhere on or near Halton Road though.

Archived