Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Piggly Wiggly has two distinctions: it was the first self-service grocery, and has the most mind-catching name of any grocery I know (as this discussion shows). A store with a name that reinforces its own recognition has a savvy asset. Of course its tacky, but so are little animated smileys, and that's not bad. Of course I can imagine, in rare cases, the image of the city in someone's eyes being affected by the name of a regional grocery, but not while simultaneously taking that person seriously - I'd want them to enjoy it, smile, and maybe know the history.

One of the dangers of focusing on image is that it begins to affect the image: some places become affected - they turn into self-parodies. More importantly, they forget that any good city is for everyone. One of the things I want to see in downtown Greenville, as it matures, is a growing range of offerings for a wider set of Greenville people. Gentrification is one source of urban life, but like oxygen, too much of it in the air can stifle growth (this is also true of density).

Meat-and-threes, Piggly Wigglys, Lizard's Thickets, Huddle Houses, Waffle Houses, and the Bus Terminal are authentic, welcome, and needed parts of the mix in my view. Take Main St. - the warm-air Main St. festivals have brought a great mix of folks downtown for years, and the greatest downtowns gradually follow through with something for everyone on the ordinary days, too. Another way of putting it is: downtown needs a Wendy's, and Hot Dog King should stay. A positive direction for Greenville beyond Main St. doesn't leave out regular people or ordinary groceries with memorable names. One measure of Greenville's success is the number of residents who see all that's been done and say "Wow. Ours.", and feel a sense of ownership and pride - and that requires a careful balancing of taste, sense, and breadth. And good luck.

I realize downtown and groceries are two different topics - but the thread's theme ties them together: what belongs in Greenville. The answer is, generally, not just the good things we lack, but the ordinary things we need, and which make you smile. The pig is fun.

While I must say I'm the first one to be critical of The Pig (I rank it up there with collard greens, turnips, Frigidares, and whuppins), your post above is excellent. Great wording dpa! I like your belief.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said "whuppins!" :rofl:

Yeah "whuppins" are what your beer belly uncle gives you as a kid. Your mom gives you "whippins". Your grandmother gets a "switch" after you and your dad takes off his belt to "tan your hide". Funny what images of the South that The Pig can bring up.

While I don't have my copy of this week's journal in front of me, there were several interesting articles in the Journal this week. My favorite was the one about the RiverPlace Centerpiece Fountain. It sounds as if that thing is going to be one enormous showpiece.

The TBA section mentioned nobody's in a hurry to sell naming rights to the ballpark, so we should expect to see it called "West End Stadium" when it opens. :sick: There's that word, "Statdium" again. :sick:

RT, I'm with you all the way - BALLPARK!!! That is the true essence of tradition and past time leisure activity when people would have time after work to watch their local baseball team take on a crosstown rival or visiting team from another town. "Stadium" is best left to European Football (soccer), their equivalent of baseball in the United States. :)

I'm also thrilled to read about our extremely exciting experience in the making at RiverPlace! This will be another major showpiece, or "icon" to display to other cities. :shades:

I agree with you guys about "ballpark" rather than "stadium." However, I do find it to be a good thing that no one is rushing in over naming rights for the ballpark. It's a good thing that the name will reflect an area of the community rather than the tacky name of a corporation; it gives the venue more of a local flavor IMO.

For 2006/2/24:

TBAs...

-There is no rush to get a corporate sponsor for the new downtown baseball stadoim that will be home to the Greenville Drive. Expect the field to be called West End Stadium when play starts in April...

-Community South Bank plans to expand to at least 11 branches by the end of 2008. The Easley-based bank opened in 2005, and will have six branches by the end of this year...

-One highlight of the upcoming InnoVenture will be Venture Hall, a section of the Palmetto Expo Center devoted to profiling high impact companies targeting large and growing marketing opportunities. InnoVenture is scheduled for the last week in March...

-Want to know some concrete facts about Greenville's economic future? Then you definitely want to attend the Chamber's Advantage Greenville luncheon on March 1. There is a presentation on focus areas that Greenville should work on...

-Trucking is the untapped future in South Carolina. With the big push for focusing on ports and distribution facilities, look for more trucking companies to set ip shop here...

-Business leaders are trying to get more black businesses and groups up and running in the state. Their message is simple. If South Carolina is going to prosper, it needs blacks, who make up 30 percent of the population, to prosper...

Articles

-RiverPlace water features and third phase

I wish I could get the Greenville Journal at Clemson. :angry:

So, can I ask about an article? :blush: What did the article say about phase three of Riverplace? Anything new or exciting? :thumbsup:

It pretty much said what we already knew: That Phase III would perhaps include a movie theatre and entertainment and that construction could start almost right away if the city had the money to put toward an additional parking garage. Evidently a couple of prospective tennants from Phase II may be moved over into Phase III? The article didn't indicate who the tennants would be. My wife already recycled our copy or I'd go verify this. Please correct me anybody if I've mixed up what the article said or left anything out.

It pretty much said what we already knew: That Phase III would perhaps include a movie theatre and entertainment and that construction could start almost right away if the city had the money to put toward an additional parking garage. Evidently a couple of prospective tennants from Phase II may be moved over into Phase III? The article didn't indicate who the tennants would be. My wife already recycled our copy or I'd go verify this. Please correct me anybody if I've mixed up what the article said or left anything out.

Great memory RT.

They mentioned the first building in Phase II had broken ground in November. It is 130k s.f. and will have 27 luxury condos, office & restaurant space. Donald A. Gardner Architects and the Bounce Agency have signed leases.

One quote out of the article I find interesting about Riverplace" "When complete, it will create a secondary downtown along the western banks of the Reedy".

Thanks, NYT!

Although I find that quote interesting as well, I must admit that it's that idea that somewhat concerns me. Even though I'm very much looking forward to RiverPlace being complete, I hope it draws additional people into downtown from throughout the county and the Upstate rather than drawing the regular downtown crowd away from Main Street. :unsure:

No need to worry about that, RT. Remember the same question was asked about Falls Park before it opened, but North Main remains strong today. These developments continue to help push Greenville up the ladder to becoming a longer-term desination city. Look for more sports tournaments to seriously consider Greenville. :shades:

No need to worry about that, RT. Remember the same question was asked about Falls Park before it opened, but North Main remains strong today. These developments continue to help push Greenville up the ladder to becoming a longer-term desination city. Look for more sports tournaments to seriously consider Greenville. :shades:

Very true, Skyliner! If anything there seem to be MANY more people in and about downtown these days, especially on weekends. This is more or less how I forsee RiverPlace, etc. impacting the area, too; however, it's still a fear that I have lurking in the back of my mind.

North Main will continue to propser, but this just creates a whole new world of opportunity. Remember Kroc Center will be on the other side of Academy and the ball park up the block on Main. The map in the Journal shows how close all of this will be. This will create a second boom area that will spur development to the south west as people want to live closer to these action spots.

Add McBee Station to the mix and you see how the success of Main Street is impacting the rest of downtown. People love Main Street and are becoming very interested in living there or in close proximity. I expect this to snowball as more people move into the condos and apartments opening up in the CBD. The demand becomes greater as the vibrancy becomes stronger and more widespread. I love the way downtown is spreading outward. This is the essence of starting simple and building on the successful foundation of one project before jumping to another. Before long, the pieces will start to grow in size and height and the sidewalks will be filled with eager pedestrians to the edges of the CBD. Just imagine! :D

Add McBee Station to the mix and you see how the success of Main Street is impacting the rest of downtown. People love Main Street and are becoming very interested in living there or in close proximity. I expect this to snowball as more people move into the condos and apartments opening up in the CBD. The demand becomes greater as the vibrancy becomes stronger and more widespread. I love the way downtown is spreading outward. This is the essence of starting simple and building on the successful foundation of one project before jumping to another. Before long, the pieces will start to grow in size and height and the sidewalks will be filled with eager pedestrians to the edges of the CBD. Just imagine! :D

I can see it!!! And it's really not that far off! :thumbsup:

Archived