Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In today's issue...

Article on Carroll Campbell. Knox White, BMW execs and others reflect on his influence on them and our state. [As someone who lived here under his administration, let me say that we lost one of the few statesman this state has produced in my lifetime]

Article on the Baseball groundskeeper that is installing the sod at the new ballpark.

Article on city's latest effort on bar issues DT. A committee of bar owners, retail owners and DT residents is being formed to discuss what happens next on this issue.

Some pics of the Ballpark

Article on Sburg section of the Palmetto Trail that is under construction.

TBA:

*Kroc Center officials will make a major announcement TODAY at the Westin.

*The city's proposed land use guidelines are being tweaked and will return to the city's agenda under a new name.

* Verdae is working on a 50,000-75,000 sq. ft. building on the eastern edge of the 1,100 acre project. The idea is to create pad sites for future office space. That development would be aided by Verdae's plan to set aside more than 550 acres in wetlands and streams for a Groce Creek Mitigation Bank. This allows developers to dip into the reserve to speed up development.

* The Woolworth building is once again the source of rumors. The Pavilion Group has an agreement with the city for one section of the building, but a new group of developers is making a play for other sections of the Main Street property.

• 2 weeks later...

The Journal courier finally made it through the maze of downed trees to deliver this week's issue. God bless him/her.

TBA:

* a Charlotte developer is targeting the Garlington & Pelham Road intersection for a 300,000 sq. ft shopping center. Opening late 2007.

* Verdae is hoping for a school within it's 1,100 acre boundaries, long-term. Short term expect an announcement soon on a retirement community and a gated estate community.

* The Global Trade Park will have it's grand opening in early 2006

* The Main and McBee site will be landscaped along Main Street. The city has given the developers until 2011 to build the proposed mixed use building.

* The city annexed 5 acres on Congaree Road including the Crowne Plaza hotel.

* An expanded bike lane is being planned for Gville. The system will take several years to get in place and will cover most of the DT area.

Articles on:

* Fred Collins, who donated $1mm to the Kroc Center. He says he plans to help solicit other $1mm donations from a group of 10 local people.

* BJU selling it's trains on Pleasantburg. This will free up land that the city plans to renovate.

* The city is struggling to come up with development guidelines for commercial corridors such as Pleasantburg, Wade Hampton, Laurens Rd. etc.

* the GHS/USC/MUSC medical training expansion

* The city's Design & Preservation Committee and property owner Atlas Vending reached an agreement on the Main & McBee parcel.

* Grenville High will likely get a new gym as part of it's renovation, which is an expansion of earlier plans.

The West park & Townes condo is having an open house on Sun Dec 18 2-4. The ad used the "North End" moniker.

TBA:

* Expect to hear news about the Bookends phase 2 in the early part of '06.

* The Field House at West End will put its remaining units on sale after the start of baseball season.

* The new owners of the Greenville Mall have talked with city officials about a full annexation. However, the last three owners have said the same thing.

* Costco is looking at several site sin Gville according to several sources. Expect an announcement soon.

* Rails to Trails is again making noise as the city prepares to start work on the walking/biking path along the Reedy. The hope is the work will spur the county to complete the trail outside city limits.

Articles on:

+What will it take for Duke Power to bury the power lines

+Charles Townes statute to be unveiled in April at the corner of Main and Camperdown. The plaza in front of the Riverplace building will be named Townes Plaza and will feature benches from the Washington DC park where he concocted his laser idea. Townes won the Nobel Prize in '64.

+ Kroc Center's new fundraising consultant is profiled.

+ Anderson College will become Anderson University

* The new owners of the Greenville Mall have talked with city officials about a full annexation. However, the last three owners have said the same thing.

This confuses me. Is Greenville Mall not in the city limits? Shops at Greenridge, which is further out, is 100% in the city limits.

It's not. Zoom down on the area from the GCGIS mapping application. It's surrounded on nearly all sides by the city.

You can't link to specific maps in that program, you need to click on the print function and then save the image, upload it somewhere and link to it. To share an image.

Thanks, btoy; however, I wasn't trying to provide a link to a specific area, just a link to the application itself. Hence, I suggested to "zoom down on the area." :P

In this week's Greenville Journal:

*Front cover story about keeping your new year's resolutions

*Article in business section about the Greenville Mall's last Christmas

*TBA:

-Millennium Campus' master plan has been out in the public for several months now, but the developers of the research park will bring more definitive plans before City Council next week...

-The city will bring an outside planning group to help create a plan for the Bergamo Plaza in downtown Greenville after some residents complained about the patch of grass that was planned to be removed...

-The deadline to present at Innoventure 2006 is Jan. 9th. Organizers belive this could be the year the venture capital expo starts turning out deals for upstate businesses...

-Workers' compensation will again be big news in 2006. The South Carolina Chamber of Commerce has made reforming state law a top priority. The state Chamber wil also port expansions, education, highway infrastucture and health care...

-The Upstate Alliance's Website is highlighting three properties in the vicinity of the Southern Connector and two of them are in the Matrix. This could be sign that the Southern Connector will soon get more businesses or at least shows more interest in that area...

-PULSE, the group of Greenville young professionals, is looking to make a bigger splash in 2006. The group's early calendar is full of events...

P.S.-HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!! :yahoo:

For 01/06/2006...

Articles:

*Frank Pinckney's retirement after 43 years at GHS

*Martin Luther King Jr. Day in Greenville County

TBAs:

*Greenville's South Financial Group is one of the potential buyers of West Palm Beach-based Fidelity Bankshares, which some investors say is rope for a buyout because of its high expense-to-income ratio...

*There are more rumors that Bi-Lo may open a supermarket on Church Street in the vicinity of Sirrine Stadium. It would be a major boost for the city's Haynie-Sirrine revitalization project...

*The new high-end downtwon destination spa, River Falls, is looking for a March opening. It will be located on Main Street in the old Family Court building...

*The Greenville Convention and Visitors Bureau is looking for a new second-in-command. Long-time vice president Rowena Buffett Timms has left the tourism board to take a job with the St. Francis Hospital Foundation...

*Ford and Chevrolet will show two new concept cards at the 2006 South Carolina Internation Auto Show at the Palmetto Expo Center on the second to last weekend of January...

*Rumors are pretty heavy regarding the former Tiki Bob's bar in downtown Greenville. The bar shut down during the winter. Some say a Charlotte-based bar management group will open something there, but the company would not confirm...

From the 2006.01.13 issue:

Articles:

-Verdae and houses along Rocky Slope ROad relocating

-Greenville Northern rail line may be leased to an entrepreneur

-Upstate Alliance looks for more in 2006

TBAs:

-The Upstate Alliance is expected to make an announcement soon on the 13th public sector group to get behind its region-wide economic marketing efforts. The group already has 10 counties and two cities on board...

-Also, BMW and the Upstate Alliance are expected to make an announcement toward the end of this month regarding the annual BMW Charity Pro-Am at the Cliffs courses...

-Look to hear more from the Greenville County Delegation in 2006. The group of state senators and house members wants to become more active in helping residents deal with issues in their communities...

-Expect to see a study unveiled in March that shows how Greenville is doing in attracting new business and how well various economic recruitment agencies work together...

-Plumbing work has started at the Brio Condominiums project on Church Street. It's hard to believe this was a former Ramada Inn based on all of the work done in renovating it...

-This is a bid mongh for the Greenville Convention Visitors Bereau with several major events on the books. However, the tourism group is keeping somewhat tight-lipped about its schedule for the rest of the year...

-Bowater will announce its 2005 financial reports on Jan. 25. It should be interesting to see how the company's earnings look in light of the announcement that Arnold Nemirow is retiring later this year...

1/20/06

TBA:

* Arestaurant called Jon Franks has signs in the West End in a building on Augusta close to the baseball park.

* Greenville Drive officially moves there offices from Municipal Stadium to the new ballpark in Feb

* Carpenter Brothers space is available for restaurant or retail

* With over 500 people taking the Main St Trolley each weekend, the city is looking to purchase it's own trolley. The current one has been on loan from the Gville Drive

* Eddie Bauer is moving to Haywood Mall in April

* a new sign system may be put in place. City leaders do not like the number of mismatched signs that were put up at various times over the years. There is a move to get all signs uniform.

I sometimes get the feeling that John Boyanoski is reading our forums. Are you out there, John? Reveal thyself! :rofl:

1/20/06

TBA:

* a new sign system may be put in place. City leaders do not like the number of mismatched signs that were put up at various times over the years. There is a move to get all signs uniform.

I presume this is referring to the street signs? While they're at it, can they make them larger and easier to read from a distance? That was the hardest thing to adjust to when we moved up here from Orlando. The street signs in Orlando are some of the best I've seen anywhere though, so it's hard to compete, but these here are just too small and difficult to read until you're right on top of them.

Which signs aren't consistent? Which ones are they refering to? Greenville has the most consistent signing of any city I've ever seen. All "Welcome to Greenville" signs, parking deck signs, "more this way signs" West End signs, "spaced out signs", Falls Park signs, etc are consistent....same font, same "G" logo, same colors of Greenville Green and purple. I'm glad to see Greenville looking at this level of detail! :thumbsup:

I sometimes get the feeling that John Boyanoski is reading our forums. Are you out there, John? Reveal thyself! :rofl:

I presume this is referring to the street signs? While they're at it, can they make them larger and easier to read from a distance? That was the hardest thing to adjust to when we moved up here from Orlando. The street signs in Orlando are some of the best I've seen anywhere though, so it's hard to compete, but these here are just too small and difficult to read until you're right on top of them.

SC could learn a few things from several FL cities on signage. I like the street signs that are directly over an intersection and illuminated.

Similiar to your pet peeve, I hate the way so VERY FEW buildings, particularly out in the county have the street NUMBER posted. Many are not posted at all and many that are are really small and not easily noticeable. Once you have lived here awhile, you don't miss them so much, buy initially, it SUCKS!!

Which signs aren't consistent? Which ones are they refering to? Greenville has the most consistent signing of any city I've ever seen. All "Welcome to Greenville" signs, parking deck signs, "more this way signs" West End signs, "spaced out signs", Falls Park signs, etc are consistent....same font, same "G" logo, same colors of Greenville Green and purple. I'm glad to see Greenville looking at this level of detail! :thumbsup:

My take on the article was that they were referring to the street signs.

Archived