Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

I'll do it for this past week's.

TBA:

** Greenville's famed Abbondaza's restaurant has a new owner, Rick Erwin, and will soon get a new name as Erwin's on the Villa. Erwin also owns the popular West End restaurant that bears his name...

** Interstate 85 drivers may have noticed grading being done along the roadside near Laurens Road last week. They can soon expect to see the first building on the site, which will be the headquarters for Hubbell Lighting and the first tenant on Millennium Campus...

** A private company called Safe Ports Group is hoping to create a faster way of shipping through Port of Charlestonby using barges, rail lines, and inter-modal transports to get there. This is big for the Upstate because 60 percent of the goods that go through the port come from here...

** Looking for a summer vacation? Why not the Upstate? That is what the Greater Greenville Convention and Visitor's Bureau will push this summer in an effort to create more tourism locally by telling area residents what fun things are going on in their own back yard...

** Expect the city to sign a development agreement by mid-November to allow the downtown Bank of America tower's parking lot to be demolished and replaced with a mixed-use development...

** Woof, woof. A group of citizens is lobbying the city to fence off part of Cleveland Park as a dog park...

+ Article on Greenville's hotel market and its great success so far this year

+ Article on the widening of Woodruff Road between Roper Mountain Road and Laurens Road and how Blythe Construction might lose its contract with the State

+ Article on Shoeless Joe Jackson's house facelift and it being moved to Field Street to be served as a museum once completion.

+ Ads for Camperdown Condos and Fieldhouse at West End

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason I ask is because of the sterotypes (whether valid or not) that the south (and perhaps Greenville as well) is overall very conservative and, well, "southern."

Whats wrong with Greenville being Southern? Also, it sounds like many of you think that in order to have a Confederate Museum, you must fly the Confederate flag. Why is that? All you need is a well designed yet simple sign that simply states what is in the buliding. Don't get caught up in the hoopla that is the Confederate monument at the State House.

I put Southern in quotes to emphasize the stereotypical Southern traits (we all have an idea of what they are). Sort of how you can be from the south but not at all "Southern."

When people say "Oh she's really Southern" or "That city is a very Southern city," what does that mean to you? Is it meant as a compliment or a criticism?

I wasn't referring at all to the confederate flag in that post. But I do think that anytime people hear "confederate" they think slavery, the confederate flag, and close-mindedness. Thus the reason for my post. I'm not saying it's right, just that it is. I was curious to know what you guys thought about it, not necessarily on a personal level but in terms of the image Greenville paints to visitors and tourists.

Not much 'new' info, but some helpful updates.

Article on Acadia 'new urban' development in Gville County. 12 home builders have been selected.

Article on Sburg's Hub-Bub project.

TBA:

McBee Station is moving closer to reality. Developers have closed on one parcel and should have the final three within 30 days. Demo will follow shortly after as well as a development agreement with the city.

County council members are working on a law that would require a traffic impact study on any new development.

Office space is coming to West End. The Old Cotton Warehouse on Rhett is being renovated for offices.

The baseball stdium is also being credited for construction of the condo project that just started next to County Square. The new buildings will have a direct path to the new stadium.

A restaurant may be coming to Camperdown Way across from Riverplace. Renovation plans have been submitted for one of the fronts.

Verdae Development will announce a developer with be announced within 45 days.

The Charette process for the proposed $300mm town center om West Georgia Road starts this week. The "final plans" will be unveiled next WED.

What is the condo project next to county square with a direct path to the stadium?

Someone (btoy, I think) asked about a recently cleared lot by the entrance to the Governor's school. That is probably what TBA is referring to. No one seems to know much about it.

What's the "proposed $300mm town center om West Georgia Road?" That sounds like a mall or lifestyle center of some sort?

Wasn't there a big announcement about a big housing development in Simpsonville in the last week? I think that is what it refers to. It must have a retail component.

I put Southern in quotes to emphasize the stereotypical Southern traits (we all have an idea of what they are). Sort of how you can be from the south but not at all "Southern."

When people say "Oh she's really Southern" or "That city is a very Southern city," what does that mean to you? Is it meant as a compliment or a criticism?

I wasn't referring at all to the confederate flag in that post. But I do think that anytime people hear "confederate" they think slavery, the confederate flag, and close-mindedness. Thus the reason for my post. I'm not saying it's right, just that it is. I was curious to know what you guys thought about it, not necessarily on a personal level but in terms of the image Greenville paints to visitors and tourists.

I think its a compliment. The southern charm, slightly slower pace of life, and other aspects are what I think of then people say that. I think that thought proccess you mentioned is excatly what needs to be changed. The South has changed alot, and outsiders need to open their minds to see that most of us have moved on. And if a museum changes that perception then they probably weren't that open minded to start with.

Someone (btoy, I think) asked about a recently cleared lot by the entrance to the Governor's school. That is probably what TBA is referring to. No one seems to know much about it.

Wasn't there a big announcement about a big housing development in Simpsonville in the last week? I think that is what it refers to. It must have a retail component.

A friend told me about a big Simpsonville project, but his details were sketchy. I've been out of touch for a while. Anybody have any more info? My friend said it was a "self contained" village with housing, retail, offices, etc. Sounds like another Verdae.

Tons of stuff...

Riverplace phase 3 could start now, but the city does not have the funds for the garage. A movie theater is a possibility for phase 3 along with more retail.

Two articles on Shoeless Joe. Field ST will be renamed for him.

Article on the county's RR line, An extention on negitiations is granted.

McBee Apartments will be burned in order to train firefighters.

City to spend $ on West End streetscaping and a lot at Pete Hollis & Buncombe.

Article on Simpsonville's new-urbanism project, with rendering.

Two new tenants for One & Two Liberty Square. Plaza will be complete soon. Includes restaurant and sundries shop.

DT occupancy is about 90%

TBA:

SPa coming to old Family Court bldg DT

A major announcement about the Point may come soon. Details secret

Crescent Center at Woodruff & 85 annexed

GHS to build R&D center on Grove Rd

DT Trolley service begins this weekend

Kroc Center work underway

TBA:

SPa coming to old Family Court bldg DT

Where is the Family Court building? Is this the triangle shaped building that sits in the split of Main and Augusta in West End? If so, have always thought this building could be incredible retail or a restaurant.

No, Unless I am mistaken this is the building between the Westin and the symphony building that is next to city hall. There are some architects or something like that in the building already.

Yes, that is the old Family Court building. I'm not sure where they will put the spa unless its in the rear of the building in the 7-story section. Design Strategies has all of the first 3 floors from what I've seen.

66102476.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A couple TBAs from the recent 11/24/2005 issue (Vol. 7, #48)...

While downtown gets a lot of attention, consultants have pointed out some problems in the Greenville economic infrastructure. Specifically there are problems with abandoned adn dilapidated buildings on main corridors leading to downtown such as Laurens Road and Poinsett Highway. City leaders say this is the next big priority...

Greenville Area Development Corp. had its best month this year in October with 24 new business contacts. Let's see if that leads to any more jobs in Greenville, which has landed 800 new positions to date in 2005...

Greenville businesses may soon hear a lot from the town's new baseball team. The Drive is pushing for more season ticket packacges and looking to area businesses to fill the void...

The Upstate is not a cotton producing area, but Greenville residents may get the opportunity to pick some next fall. Several cotton bushes were planted along the Reedy River as part of RiverPlace...

Greenville City has created a goal of adding 1,500 affordable houses in the coming years...

New Life Christian Fellowship is looking to sell some of its excess property on Roper Mountain Road Extension for commercial use. Residents are battling commercial encroachment, but this should not meet heavy resistance because it is in an area zoned commercial already...

This week..

Article on West End:

* New Restaurant on Camperdown "Oysters on the West End" undergoing renovation now. 3,000 sq. ft for a half a million. Wraparound porch and an large deck included in plans. Opens in the Spring.

* Jacob Mann is building 13 unit condo project on Howe St. (this is the one by County Square that no one knew anything about here) Direct views to the stadium, all units are sold. Mann demolished one older house and bought two other parcels. The project will be across Augusta from the stadium, but have a Howe St. address. There will be a mix of Craftsman and Bungelow styles.

*As mentioned in GJ before, Old Cotton Warehouse is undergoing renovation into office space.

* There is increased pressure for the Transit Authority to move, but that is not likely anytime soon. Three years at the earliest. GTA recently renewed it's lease for nearby office space.

Article on Piazza Bergamo losing it's grassy area.

Cover story on Peace Center's 15 year anniversary.

Pics of Haywood renovations

Be sure to read the editorial, great one on the HUGE sums raised for charity by local high schools.

TBA:

* The East Washington St. connector is at the top of the city's federal appropriation wish list. The proposed road would connect the Palmetto Expo Center to DT.

* City leaders are gearing up for a big push to get local companies to move their offices and headquartes to DT. While the DT market is strong, the hope is that more demand will get some of the proposed towers off the drawing board into reality.

* A bank may soon pop up on Pete Hollis near Rutherford

* Golden Corral coming to Cherrydale on Pleasantburg

* K wig Fashions moving from its Main St location. Owners of current location plan to renovate the building.

* Sod will be planted at the ballpark in Feb.

Thanks for posting the scoop from the new issue, vicupstate!

A few of my thoughts (others please do the same!):

-"Oysters on the West End" sounds interesting. I will be curious to see the final product.

-I am glad that there is a story about the Peace Center's 15 Year Anniversary. I love that place. Classy, sophisticated, and a real asset to our city's arts scene!

-What's this about the E. Washington connector? That is new to me. Would a connector really be much faster than simply getting on I-385 to get to downtown? Unless this would be a limited access road (which I doubt), what's the logic behind a connector?

-I am most pleased about the news regarding the city urging companies to locate their headquarters downtown. This alone could be what propels our city to the next level over the next 5-10 years! I hope they are successful in their recruitment efforts. :thumbsup:

-Golden Corral's reentering the area. Their last location is what is now Denny's on Wade Hampton. It is great to see a steakhouse returning to the Cherrydale area since Quincy's forged into oblivion some five or more years ago.

-The East Washington Street connector I heard is a four lane road from Laurens to North Pleasantburg. It would transverse part of the old CSX line. I am aware some rumors have circulated about the Woods Lake/Woods Crossing/Congaree Road corridor being widened to four lanes to connect a retail district with the Expo Center.

That sounds interesting about the connector being between Laurens and North Pleasantburg, as well as the retail district between Haywood and Pleasantburg. Just think, if they had built a nice convention center downtown instead of sticking with the Palmetto Expo Center, we wouldn't have this problem of needing a connector. And having a nice convention center downtown would've perhaps helped the city's campaign in recruiting company HQ's downtown. But I digress...

I did not know that we used to have a Golden Corral. Their presence at Cherrydale is a good thing.

Archived