Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is only speculation that Greenville was named after General Nathaniel Greene.

I don't know much else about BJU's campus, but I very highy recommend visiting the Museum and Gallery there. It is one of the rarest treasures Greenville has and impresses people from around the World. All I can say about the Starbuck's eviction is, what did you expect? Of course that doesn't mean the general populus of Greenville share the same viewpoint, I assure you. ;)

Exactly why I said, "what did you expect?" People should know by now that the current students and faculty follow specific rules/laws and these govern pretty much everything they do on campus. The one thing I find to be kind of ironic is regarding the visual arts you find at the university. The school has one of the best traditional art educations in the state (if not the best), but due to their rules regarding public nudity, they don't include that in their studies. The odd part is that the Museum and Art Gallery has nudity ( :shok: ) all over the place. It's very funny. :lol:

Are BJU students still not allowed to eat in a restaurant that serves alcohol? I know that was the case for a long time, and wonder if it still is.

One quick anecdote about that. I knew of a guy who was a college student at Bob Jones, and he was having car trouble so he pulled off the road. It just so happened that he pulled into the lot of an establishment that serves alcohol. He did not go into the restaurant, but instead walked down the street a bit to a pay phone to call about his car. It was not until the next day that the tow truck was able to tow his car. However, in the meantime someone from Bob Jones evidently saw the BJU parking sticker on his car and reported it as being parked in an off-limits restaurant. The next thing he knew, he was expelled from school, no questions asked!! It was only after a lengthy appeals process involving this student, his parents, and the tow truck company that he was reinstated and allowed to resume classes. All because he was parked in the lot of an establishment that served alcohol. I didn't know this guy, but the person who was telling me about it said that he was a good kid that was not in any other trouble. :shok:

Are BJU students still not allowed to eat in a restaurant that serves alcohol? I know that was the case for a long time, and wonder if it still is.

One quick anecdote about that. I knew of a guy who was a college student at Bob Jones, and he was having car trouble so he pulled off the road. It just so happened that he pulled into the lot of an establishment that serves alcohol. He did not go into the restaurant, but instead walked down the street a bit to a pay phone to call about his car. It was not until the next day that the tow truck was able to tow his car. However, in the meantime someone from Bob Jones evidently saw the BJU parking sticker on his car and reported it as being parked in an off-limits restaurant. The next thing he knew, he was expelled from school, no questions asked!! It was only after a lengthy appeals process involving this student, his parents, and the tow truck company that he was reinstated and allowed to resume classes. All because he was parked in the lot of an establishment that served alcohol. I didn't know this guy, but the person who was telling me about it said that he was a good kid that was not in any other trouble. :shok:

BJU previously had a ban on dining at restaurants which served alcohol that were in close proximity to the campus. The way I heard it, many years ago (1970's?) there was an ordinance that prohibited alcohol sales within a certain distance of a school and some establishments were ignoring it. I do know that currently dining at a restaurant that serves alcohol is not prohibited, however the consumption of alcohol or going to a "bar" is not allowed.

That's wild.

But about the Starbucks thing, the institution IS private and has the right to do what it sees fit, whether or not I, or anyone else, agree(s).

BJU previously had a ban on dining at restaurants which served alcohol that were in close proximity to the campus. The way I heard it, many years ago (1970's?) there was an ordinance that prohibited alcohol sales within a certain distance of a school and some establishments were ignoring it. I do know that currently dining at a restaurant that serves alcohol is not prohibited, however the consumption of alcohol or going to a "bar" is not allowed.

Welcome to UrbanPlanet.org, gvlmom! Great to have you on board and thanks for the info! I hope you find time to contribute often from now on. :D

It's the "Piggly" and "Wiggly" that I don't care much for. This name sounds and looks out of place in an urban shopping scene, IMO. I'm thinking of the greater U.S. and Global populous. Many people already think of this region and this state as being backward "hillbilly" kind of people, but I just say come see it for yourself. No, I don't care to see the Piggly Wiggly brand name here at all. JMO. -_-

No other grocer is more "South Carolina" than the Pig. Not even our beloved Bi-Lo (which was recently under foreign control). Browse The Pig's selection of BBQ sauces, for example. Tons of SC-branded products.

Piggly Wiggly is actually a loosely-based conglomeration of franchise-run stores. Don't worry about the name so much, it's a fun name, and the Pig is a leading grocer in Wisconsin, albeit run by a different franchisee.

I look forward to the Pig becoming part of our landscape.

Welcome to UP, upstateplanet! Hope to hear more of your thoughts from now on. :D

Sorry I feel this way, it is nothing against the store itself, just the silly name and what it portrays in visitors' minds. The new store(s) need to be their best, especially if they build near or in the city. They will have stiff competition. Pickens might be their best move.

Welcome to UP, upstateplanet! Hope to hear more of your thoughts from now on. :D

Sorry I feel this way, it is nothing against the store itself, just the silly name and what it portrays in visitors' minds. The new store(s) need to be their best, especially if they build near or in the city. They will have stiff competition. Pickens might be their best move.

Yeah, Pickens residents as a whole do not consider themselves part of the Greenville metro, so perhaps Piggly Wiggly would be a good fit there. :rofl:

Love your description Greenville! :rofl:

Is this a joke, or do people really wear these shirts?

This afternoon, at approximately 3:05 pm, I passed a man wearing a white t-shirt with a big red Piggly Wiggly logo on the front. He was crossing Jonathan Lucas Street walking toward the MUSC Clinical Sciences/Hospital entrance. As I was walking toward him, I thought about you guys. I said to myself, "I have to go home and post this sighting on UP!" :rofl:

Can anyone say, "Bubba-esque?" That will always be what most people in other states will think about such a fashion in relation to their preset viewpoint of South Carolina. I understand PW is located in other states, but do we really need something like this to become a fad and add more fuel to the fire? ^_^

The 'pig' conversation is just too delicious to pass up.

So here are my two cents... At one time I would have been on Skyliner's side in this discussion, but I've changed my tune (sorry man, I generally am in full agreement with all your posts).

I think the fear of the name creating a negative image is unfounded (just my opinion). G'ville and the whole upstate would benefit from embracing positive aspects of southern quirky culture. Stay away from the racist stuff and emphasize the positive stuff. It adds character. When people visit, I want them to see and experience stuff that's unique. So if the 'pig' is a quality grocer - embrace them. Especially if they are a SC company.

Example from another city, when I'm in Boston, I don't want to go to Unos for pizza. I wanna go to Santarpios in East Boston where everybody sounds like a mafioso (and might well be) and they serve the best pizza ever. You wait in line (outside) summer and winter for at least 45 minutes anytime from 4pm - 8pm.

Archived