Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got the new Journal, you all may want to read the front page story very closely. There is a reference to a certain web forum in it. :whistling:

Sweet! I'm going to be eagerly looking out my window for the white pickup truck to drive by and throw mine in the yard this evening! :lol:

What th' - !? :shok:

The scary thing is that there actually is a company at that address. What is the context of the reference?

We may have been giving a little too much credit to the publication as they are clearly unable to get the sources straight on the front cover for cryin' out loud. <_<

In this case it should be increased exposure, if the publisher truly wants all readers to check out the forum. I am confident the highly interested ones will discover the correct address after a quick search, but there are sure to be many who will become frustrated upon visiting a commercial site instead of a nonprofit forum. It is not good exposure to be misdirected during the first impression period. :huh:

Too bad they got the web site incorrect. You should write John Boyanoski ([email protected]) or phone him (679-1227) to complain. :w00t:

I just sent him an e-mail. Y'all should do the same.

In this week's Greenville Journal:

Articles:

• Cover Story 1: "Selling the South by the Skid Load" (Please excuse the errors) :rofl:
  • Cover Story 2: "Wherefore art thou?" discusses public art outdoors in Greenville
  • "West End Tussle" discusses the plans for the buildings at the corner of River Street and South Main
  • "Four-Year Main Street Battle Comes to an End" - you guessed it - eminent domain fight

TBA:

• What exactly is this "Project Pogo" anyway? Hush-hush closed door meetings between the city and developers are creating a buzz.
  • The beautiful, lush green turf has been installed at the new West End Ballpark
  • There will be an update on CU-ICAR given at the Greenville Chamber of Commerce meeting next week.
  • The city is undecided on how to guage increased traffic into the West End on Anderson Road and Green Avenue; however, an increase is expected due to new draws in the area.
  • The concept of purchasing land around the Palmetto Expo Center to provide the center itself with greater visibility has run aground in the property owners demanding more than the city can afford to pay...Suzanne, looks like your friends will maybe get to keep their restaurant.
  • A lot more business people are coming to Greenville. Hotels have seen a spike in business during the first couple of months of 2006.
  • Greenville is now being compared to Birmingham, AL; Greensboro, NC; and Richmond, VA with regards to economics, size, and structure.

• Greenville is now being compared to Birmingham, AL; Greensboro, NC; and Richmond, VA with regards to economics, size, and structure.

This is significant. We have been considered comparable to Greensboro for quite some time (I think our metro area is slightly bigger than theirs to begin with), but to be mentioned with Richmond and Birmingham says a lot about our city's progress, I think.

I thought this recent version of the Journal was realy good (except for the dot com / dot org mistake) :wacko:

The article listing each piece of downtown sculpture / art was fantastic!

Also, the note about Greenville being compared with Birmingham, Richmond and Greensboro. On that note......I know there are several people who want to compete for "biggest, best, tallest, etc"....I usually view that as insecurity. Not into that, just love Greenville because it's simply great.....but, there is something called "Gross METROPOLITAN Product". It's just like the GDP to measure a country's output, only it's for Metro's. Upstate by far has the largest Gross Metropolitan Product in SC......larger than several small states. I have the charts from several years. Will post those this weekend in a separate thread.

Did anyone read the article on local chartered banks? that was very informative. Notice it came after the recent thread about local banks. People are reading UrbanPlanet, even if they don't acknowledge the fact. That was nice of Mr. Boyanoski to at least mention us - despite the obvious error. :)

Hope everyone reading as a guest will decide to join (FREE) and contribute their ideas. I know there are quite a few, especially lately.

Greenville Journal is solidifying itself as the best source of weekly news and information related to Greenville's urban development. I noticed several pieces scattered troughout this week's publication that aredirectly inline with some of our discussions and spoken desires for media improvements.

Among other things:

• Southern image
  • Public Art in downtown
  • Locally chartered banks
  • City Notes from the Council meeting
  • City annexation
  • West End building battle

Greenville Journal is to be commended for realizing the issues we, the readers, care deeply about. :thumbsup:

What th' - !?

The scary thing is that there actually is a company at that address. What is the context of the reference?

We may have been giving a little too much credit to the publication as they are clearly unable to get the sources straight on the front cover for cryin' out loud.

urbanplanet.com is the site for a clothier. They have a store at Concord Mills up in Charlotte. Don't buy their coats. We recieved an angry email once complaining about one of their coats. Apparantly they fall apart pretty easily :lol:

In this case it should be increased exposure, if the publisher truly wants all readers to check out the forum. I am confident the highly interested ones will discover the correct address after a quick search, but there are sure to be many who will become frustrated upon visiting a commercial site instead of a nonprofit forum. It is not good exposure to be misdirected during the first impression period.

I think that even though its a misdirected exposure that you should be positive about it. This means that the print media is reading, and that more references are to come. I think that if someone sees that other site then they will realize something isn't right. If they truely want to find us, they can do a search. Also, if you do a search for "urban planet" we are the first 5 links, so we can also lure people in that way :thumbsup:

if you search for anything in greenville we seem to be the first 5 links.

I e-mailed the reporter. He said it was an honest mistake, and thanked the board for so quickly pointing out his mistake. He said it was kind of a bummer because he was wondering if people would notice the little blurb about urbanplanet and what they would say. He also added he gets a kick out of the idea that people on this board can't wait to read the Journal on Friday because he can't wait to see what urbanplanet's reaction will be.

FYI: He also denied posting on here.

I e-mailed the reporter. He said it was an honest mistake, and thanked the board for so quickly pointing out his mistake. He said it was kind of a bummer because he was wondering if people would notice the little blurb about urbanplanet and what they would say. He also added he gets a kick out of the idea that people on this board can't wait to read the Journal on Friday because he can't wait to see what urbanplanet's reaction will be.

FYI: He also denied posting on here.

Did he deny ever posting, or simply decline an offer to post?

Special thanks to the Greenville Journal staff reporter/writer! I am pleased to know that at least some of our local media professionals take their audience/customers seriously. :D

Did he deny ever posting, or simply decline an offer to post?

Special thanks to the Greenville Journal staff reporter/writer! I am pleased to know that at least some of our local media professionals take their audience/customers seriously. :D

Indeed. Please spread the word to your Spartanburg and Anderson bureaus too :thumbsup:

New edition out.

Front-page story on Pogo. Not much new, but definitely says will be in city, and be some kind of financial company. Talks about the impact on the region more than anything.

Story on the growth of hispanic-owned businesses in South Carolina. Skimmed through it, and it has some real interesting numbers talking about growth issues.

Also, a small news brief about $18.5 million for ICAR garage and new building.

Other items from this issue:

The city has agreed to transfer the lease of "air rights' over Piazza Bergamo from Downtown Plaza Development LLC to Main at Washington LLC. Both have the same owners. Not sure what that means in terms of something getting started there.

The house from"Flip this House" at the Cliffs at Glassy is still on the market.

TBA:

**Rosen and Associates say they aren't the potential site for Pogo, despite speculation of it going to Millenium campus.

** Other speculate it wil go DT on Spring or Falls streets

** "the good folks at urbanplanet.org provided the best jokes on the subject" (of pogo).

** Even while pogo was on the city's agenda, the city is still talking about redevelopment of City Hall plaza. It says previously, "the timing was never right.."

** Expect to hear news soon on Pinnacle on Main, the 13 story building near the Landmark building, regarding tenants and construction [could this FINALLY be the news we have been waiting for?]

Archived