Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of stuff this week...

Full page ad for Field House at West End. Prices start at 185k. Website: www.fieldhouseatwestend.com

Article on Field House and West Pendleton too.

TBA:

** A grocery store may be coming to Church St. downtown. An Atlanta group has an option on a chuck of land behind Sirrine Stadium and some plans include a grocery store, possibly a Bi-Lo.

** Rumors are the Renaissance at the Falls condo project overlooking the Reedy River in Cleveland park may get a redesign.

** The city will spend $100 k to upgrade the area underneath the Main St. bridge in the coming months. It will resemble the trails that connect Falls Park to Cleveland Park when completed. [ Not sure what that means exactly]

** A new logo and name is expected later this month for the Baseball team. Rumors have flown (Drive, Drivers, Joes) but the team is not verifying anything.

** Nathaniel Greene may be the latest bronze statute to come to DT. One theory holds that the city is named after the Revolutionary War hero.

** Keystone Properties has reached a compromise with the city that drops the lawsuit over the Kimbrell's building. [not sure if this is just a rehash of old news]

+ Cover story entitled "Growing Pains: Residents organize to fight unwanted development".

+ Article on Tree resolution on county council's agenda for Tuesday.

+ County gets offer to buy its rail line and is expecting a second offer. This is the same rail line that the Rails to Trails is proposed for. The first offer was 46k. THe county is asking 1.7mm and paid 13.3 mm in '99.

+ City Council approved a plan to abandon several alleys off Haynie Street. This is in preparation for redevelopment in the Haynie-Sirrine neighborhood. [Haynie Street connects Augusta Rd. and Church St.]

+ Article on upcoming seminar titled :"Upstate Together: Grow by choice or Chance". It will be held 10/20 at Gville Marriott at 4:30pm. Register at 503-5555 or [email protected]. The conference looks at what the upstae will look like in 20 years.

+ Article on "First Name Forum", a group that has formed to try and harness Gville's development. The group had it's first meeting this week and has a website (not listed in article). The Furman Company is a sponsor of the group. [Anyone got info on this?]

+ Delinquet Tax Sale property listings in the back. [Flip this House, anyone?]

+ In the real estate section, the City has transferred property to Pavillion Dev. Corp. Address is 5 Washington St. Price is $212,376. [This evidently is the city's share of the Woolworth building]

This thing on Church St behind Sirrine Stadium I mentioned before, but I couldn't say much. It is a BiLo from the rendering that I saw and it's a large development. Made up of several buildings, including office space (maybe residential, i don't remember)! Great Views of downtown!!!!

Thats quite a bit of news in this weeks Journal! :thumbsup:

The Bi-Lo and shopping area on Church. Would this basically be right by The Brio? The cities master plan showed this area building up with a good amount of density.....a narrowed Church Street, on street parking, midrise buildings close to the street. Could this be the start of that? I wondered how long it would take Bi-Lo to jump on downtown (yeah I know they have the small North Main store) after hearing Publix would be downtown. Bi-Lo has to protect it's home turf!

Yea, this development definitely qualifies as midrise!!! From what I saw of the initial rendering, the buildings had maybe a mean of 5 stories? They were attractive and almost incased the whole site. It almost appeared that you drove under the building and up to the level where parking was located to the Bilo... If that makes sense.

+ Article on upcoming seminar titled :"Upstate Together: Grow by choice or Chance". It will be held 10/20 at Gville Marriott at 4:30pm. Register at 503-5555 or [email protected]. The conference looks at what the upstae will look like in 20 years.

This is going to be an interesting seminar. I wish that I could make it. SC is slated for alot of growth- we have to start managing it now.

+ Article on "First Name Forum", a group that has formed to try and harness Gville's development. The group had it's first meeting this week and has a website (not listed in article). The Furman Company is a sponsor of the group. [Anyone got info on this?]

I'm going to try to make it to the "Upstate Together" seminar. Thursday's are tough for me to get out of work early.

I tried to get info for the "First Name Forum". Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like a dead forum to me. Check it out here

The enthusiasm that they describe in the article sure isn't on the forum. :blink:

I'm going to try to make it to the "Upstate Together" seminar. Thursday's are tough for me to get out of work early.

I tried to get info for the "First Name Forum". Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like a dead forum to me. Check it out here

The enthusiasm that they describe in the article sure isn't on the forum. :blink:

I didn't get this forum. Like NYT said above, it was quite dead. What is the forums goal? Real estate contacts?

Yea, this development definitely qualifies as midrise!!! From what I saw of the initial rendering, the buildings had maybe a mean of 5 stories? They were attractive and almost incased the whole site. It almost appeared that you drove under the building and up to the level where parking was located to the Bilo... If that makes sense.

Is this site the corner of University Ridge and Church or Church & Pearl (directly across from Brio)?

I checked that forum out months ago, but, like you said, it is not nearly as interesting as UrbanPlanet.org. Someone from one of these publications needs to give us a nod once in awhile. We certainly do our part to encourage their readership. ^_^

I was thinking the same thing when I read that article.

It is great to finally know a new Bi-Lo is coming downtown. A supermarket in the South Church Street/University Ridge should be highly successful. The future remains uncertain for its North Main Street store. A new supermarket near West Stone Avenue and Buncombe Street could do some business.

GvilleSC:

Do you know if those renderings of the possible new Bi-Lo are online?

The development is on the corner of University and Church. I'm not sure where Pearl St is, but perhaps it extends the to there? Sorry, but I do know that it's on the corner of church and university. :thumbsup:

And I highly doubt that these rendering are online. I haven't seen them online. I saw them in person when they were first done and it was "top secret"- over the summer. But since the Greenville Journal opened the can of worms, then I guess that I can talk!!! I'll see what I can find though :whistling:

TBA:

** Chattanooga officials are coming to town. The Tennessee city has long been seen as a benchmark for what Gville wanted to bee, but now Chattanooga wants to see what is being done here.

** The city has bought a piece of land along Pete Hollis Highway in order to remove a billboard. However, it must wait five years for the lease agreeement to expire.

** Pete Hollis will soon get the Master Plan treatment from the city.

** The city has been looking for a location for a new Municipal courthouse for a couple of years now. However, the city is now zeroing in on a spot preferably in the vicinity of the Gville Water System building.

** Halfway to Havana, a downtown cigar store plans to open a martini/cigar bar in late '06

** The city is working on a redesign of Piazza Bergamo with the aid of neighborhood business owners

** Vardry Executive Center, the six story glass tower on the edge of West End, may soon get a redesign that will make its appearance more in tune with the rest of DT

Articles:

++ Monaghan Mill renovation

++ DT recording studio in West End

++ The STone Ave. /Overbrook area green buffer will go to bid soon. A path to Cleveland Park is included.

++ Plans for a corridor makeover for Poinsett Highway

++ Christian Exodus convention. Name change being considered.

TBA:

** Chattanooga officials are coming to town. The Tennessee city has long been seen as a benchmark for what Gville wanted to bee, but now Chattanooga wants to see what is being done here.

** The city has bought a piece of land along Pete Hollis Highway in order to remove a billboard. However, it must wait five years for the lease agreeement to expire.

** Pete Hollis will soon get the Master Plan treatment from the city.

** The city has been looking for a location for a new Municipal courthouse for a couple of years now. However, the city is now zeroing in on a spot preferably in the vicinity of the Gville Water System building.

** Halfway to Havana, a downtown cigar store plans to open a martini/cigar bar in late '06

** The city is working on a redesign of Piazza Bergamo with the aid of neighborhood business owners

** Vardry Executive Center, the six story glass tower on the edge of West End, may soon get a redesign that will make its appearance more in tune with the rest of DT

Articles:

++ Monaghan Mill renovation

++ DT recording studio in West End

++ The STone Ave. /Overbrook area green buffer will go to bid soon. A path to Cleveland Park is included.

++ Plans for a corridor makeover for Poinsett Highway

++ Christian Exodus convention. Name change being considered.

Sounds great! :yahoo:

What's with this municiple court house thing? Can someone speculate what this is speaking of and or expand on what it is? It's not the federal court house i'm assuming and i guess it's not the county court house... so....?

Sounds great! :yahoo:

What's with this municiple court house thing? Can someone speculate what this is speaking of and or expand on what it is? It's not the federal court house i'm assuming and i guess it's not the county court house... so....?

The Municipal Court building is on North Main St. immediately north of the 400 North Main condo building. This is the same block that is being narrowed to two lanes, with trees and angled parking being added. Once the court is moved, it will free up the current site. The city would like to see the current site converted to residential use.

I personally, would like to see the American Legion museum that is just north of the Municipal Court relocated as well. The two sites together could support a mid to high rise building that would have great views of Paris mountain as well as the newly renovated McPherson Park, which is just across the street from the museum.

BTW, has anyone been to this museum? Is it worth the time to see?

The Municipal Court building is on North Main St. immediately north of the 400 North Main condo building. This is the same block that is being narrowed to two lanes, with trees and angled parking being added. Once the court is moved, it will free up the current site. The city would like to see the current site converted to residential use.

I personally, would like to see the American Legion museum that is just north of the Municipal Court relocated as well. The two sites together could support a mid to high rise building that would have great views of Paris mountain as well as the newly renovated McPherson Park, which is just across the street from the museum.

BTW, has anyone been to this museum? Is it worth the time to see?

THANKS! that's awesome! I hope they move the American Legion Museum too. That would be a great spot for a high rise. Speaking of museum and such, has anyone ever been to the Confederate Museum? I've never seen the place, but I've seen signs on Washington and East North Streets.

I have not been to the confederate museum, but have noticed a sign for it on E. North going into downtown from I-385. That has caused me to wonder something.

How does everyone feel about having the sign for the confederate museum in that location? Better yet, how does everyone feel about having a sign for it at all? The reason I ask is because of the sterotypes (whether valid or not) that the south (and perhaps Greenville as well) is overall very conservative and, well, "southern."

With the fiasco over the confederate flag in Columbia in recent years, plus the NAACP boycott, how do you guys feel about having signage alerting drivers to the confederate museum? Is it an important celebration and recognition of the area's heritage which should be proudly displayed, or something you would rather not see promoted?

I am not trying to start a political discussion, but the thought crossed my mind one day and now seems like a good time to discuss it. I am interested in hearing how others view this, especially given the stereotypes we are forced to address in this part of the country.

I have not been to the confederate museum, but have noticed a sign for it on E. North going into downtown from I-385. That has caused me to wonder something.

How does everyone feel about having the sign for the confederate museum in that location? Better yet, how does everyone feel about having a sign for it at all? The reason I ask is because of the sterotypes (whether valid or not) that the south (and perhaps Greenville as well) is overall very conservative and, well, "southern."

With the fiasco over the confederate flag in Columbia in recent years, plus the NAACP boycott, how do you guys feel about having signage alerting drivers to the confederate museum? Is it an important celebration and recognition of the area's heritage which should be proudly displayed, or something you would rather not see promoted?

I am not trying to start a political discussion, but the thought crossed my mind one day and now seems like a good time to discuss it. I am interested in hearing how others view this, especially given the stereotypes we are forced to address in this part of the country.

I'm not trying to step on toes, I'm just saying what I think. The NAACP is past its prime. They no longer are reaching for the goal that existed when they began. They are going for superiority now, instead of equality. They have MUCH bigger problems facing the black community (such as teen pregnancy, school drop out rate, and family structure) to address to "advance" the "colored people" rather than calling racism and injustice on everything. I do think that some of their pushes for certain things are important to better our society, but their closed/narrow minded ways make it difficult to make progress. They hold us back from moving forward. It's unfortunate and they should dissolve their organization or refocus their goals to be more benefitial to society. Sorry for the tangent.

Back to the Confederate Museum question. I think that it's neat to have it in a historic district, because it creates an environment that I think would be neat, but I've never actually been there before. As to whether we should have one...? Well, yes we should. It's a part of our and our area's history. This is a good way to preserve it and be able to depict a view that most people misunderstand- not that I'm defending everything that they stood for, but i'm just saying that it's important to get an understanding of what was going on during this time and what better way to do that than get it from the horse's mouth. Anyways, but I think that if we have a Confederate Museum, it should be a part of the History Museum of the Upcountry. This way it would not stick out to visitors when they enter downtown and it would produce a wonderful exhibit for the new museum. Also having be a part of this museum would make it more inviting to more people. :thumbsup:

Chock-full-o-news this week.

TBA:

** News should be coming down the pike soon on the former Kress building site downtown...a decision regarding whether to landscape the site or build something on it

** Expect an announcement on the first phase of the Verdae Development soon, which is expected to be a retirement community

** Five years ago, the hotel market was so oversaturated that nobody entertained building new hotels; however, that has changed and a lot of developers are reaching out to hotel chains to be part of their projects

** Work on Phase II of River Place is underway and visible progress should be noticable soon

** Work on Camperdown Condos will begin soon (get those cameras ready for construction photos)

** There is quite a buzz on the streets about the Field House at West End, either due to the low-end pricing or the fact that units will have a great view of the ballpark

+ Full Page Ad for Total Wine and More announcing their Grand Opening tomorrow

+ An insightful article on the new Greenville Drive Monaker

+ An article on the 1300+ homes to be included in the Tax Sale

+ An article on the Greenville County School District's unexpected budget excess

+ City Council discussing the 2AM last call at downtown bars this coming week

+ A rather eye-raising article about the possibility of catastrophic flooding in the Upstate

+ An article about the Influx of people into downtown during the day (census buerau numbers that I've seen in many articles in newspapers from around the country these past couple of weeks have caught people by surprise)

+ An article on the new library being developed for Powdersville

Thanks for posting the Journal contents for this week, RT. Looks like a great issue.

I hope they do something great with the Kress Building site. At least we're not leaving it up like they have in downtown Columbia.

That is great news about the hotel market. I would still like to know which hotel was going to be in the Tower at Falls and Broad before the plan was suspended/terminated. Anyone know if they had a solidified agreement from a specific tenant?

That is not good news about the Kress/Main@McBee site. :( Sounds like it may be a long time before construction?

Lots of developers talking to hotel chains for projects? That's very good news. I think downtown Greenville is becoming the kind of destination worthy of an extended stay. The more people who visit, the longer they'll want to stay, and the more they'll want to live here. :shades:

I agree about downtown's hotel market, Skyliner. I'm wondering how long Hilton will be able to hold out before building something downtown, since they traditionally locate in downtown areas. Same goes for Marriott.

I think the Hampton Inn will be excellent, especially since it will be the first hotel in the West End. I bet it will have company within the next few years. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived