Greenville Journal contents

vicupstate

Articles:

** Appeals Court overturns judge's Railroad order - This concerns the County owned rail line between TR & Gville

** Article on USCU decision to drop building a Gville campus.

** A local heiress leaves $500,000 each to The Kroc Center, Lake Conestee Nature Park and Greenville Forward.

** Tree Advisory Committee starts work

** Article on Truth Ministry billboard (see Truthministry.com)

** Jury awards $ 2.6mm to Verne Cassaday for the property he lost to the city for the Riverplace stairway.

** Article on local Commercial Real Estate market

This article was a very interesting article, indeed. It mentioned how Greenville is one of the most affordable commercial real estate markets and how this affordability has led to low vacancy rates locally. Also, the article once again mentioned the numerous office towers that are on the drawing board for downtown. Oh, what I wouldn't give to see just one of those towers go up. :good:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

** Piggly Wiggly is considering locations in Gville

The Pig's return should be interesting. Already having stores in Cowpens, Greenwood, Ninety Six, Union and Ware Shoals, it would make sense to springboard across the I-85 corridor like Food Lion. The US-221/SC-72 store in Greenwood is what their newer locations are like.

I personally do not care for Piggly Wiggly. Their locations seem to vary a lot. The few I have seen here in Charleston are older locations, but I have been in a newer one in Litchfield that was not bad. Being a Charleston-based company, I never understood why they were not in the Greeville market (in fact, I didn't know that they used to be there).

If there are any new entrants into the Greenville grocery market, I prefer Kroger, and if not Kroger, then Harris Teeter. I am interested to see how Bloom will do also.

It's the "Piggly" and "Wiggly" that I don't care much for. This name sounds and looks out of place in an urban shopping scene, IMO. I'm thinking of the greater U.S. and Global populous. Many people already think of this region and this state as being backward "hillbilly" kind of people, but I just say come see it for yourself. No, I don't care to see the Piggly Wiggly brand name here at all. JMO. -_-

Anyone know anything about the "sizeable medical office complex?" This area is already noticeable with fairly dense suburban offices. I'm surprised at the location, but if it is on or near Halton Road, it will be in close proximity to the Patewood medical campus. :thumbsup:

The office medical park their talking about is the one being built right now behind Back Yard Burgers and Fazoli's where Yellow used to be.

It's the "Piggly" and "Wiggly" that I don't care much for. This name sounds and looks out of place in an urban shopping scene, IMO. I'm thinking of the greater U.S. and Global populous. Many people already think of this region and this state as being backward "hillbilly" kind of people, but I just say come see it for yourself. No, I don't care to see the Piggly Wiggly brand name here at all. JMO. -_-

Yeah, the Piggly Wiggly name make sus seem like we belong in the movie "Steel Magnolias". Not an impressive brand name at all.

What y'all talking about my women looks great in her hot pink "Big on the Pig" T shirt !

If you have not been to the new Piggly Wiggly in Greenwood you might be surprised, I was. That store is small and well laid out , not just a huge white tile floored warehouse. Believe it or not it had a very urban compact feel and I enjoyed shopping there. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Again, I don't have a problem with their new stores, just the name and what it makes people think upon distant or first impression. It is very "bubba-ish," IMO. That's not saying the store itself is that way, but I just personally don't like the name "Piggly Wiggly" and the pig logo. :(

My dad, being the oldest male in his family, worked at Piggly Wiggly (among other places - his primary job was as a signal man for the C&O Railway) in Logan, WV back during WWII. So, I really can't knock the Pig; however, I have to agree with the image it invokes for most americans. "Winn Dixie," of course, does/did the same.

For better or worse it is the only grocery store I have every been to with it's on line of clothing and stuff- for what ever that's worth. Could this become a national recognized brand with a positive image for the south? What do you think about the krispy kreme brand?

Krispy-Kreme doesn't have a farm animal as its mascot, and it doesn't give the same rural Southern impression, as far as I can tell. I'm not at all trying to knock their products or services since I haven't experienced it in awhile, but I know what people from other parts of the country already have in their minds about "Southerners." Piggly Wiggly would be a great name for a country ham house, but it doesn't do much for urban supermarket shopping, IMO.

For better or worse it is the only grocery store I have every been to with it's on line of clothing and stuff- for what ever that's worth. Could this become a national recognized brand with a positive image for the south? What do you think about the krispy kreme brand?

I couldn't believe it when I moved to Charleston and saw people with t-shirts with the huge Piggly Wiggly logo on the front. Those shirts seem to be what a big, chain-smoking woman who lives in a trailer park and has a lot of kids would wear...complete with her flip flops and curlers in her hair as she runs errands. :P

Love your description Greenville! :rofl:

Is this a joke, or do people really wear these shirts?

People really wear them! I didn't know what they were the first time I saw one, but since then I have noticed several people with them. They come in a variety of colors, including red, blue, orange, and neon green. I ran into a Piggly Wiggly last weekend because it was convenient to somewhere else I had been, and they actually have a couple of racks of those shirts near the checkout lines. There was actually someone looking at them. :rofl: Perhaps I should check and see how much they are if I am ever in there again. Consider it my contribution to Urban Planet. :lol:

The owner of Piggly Wiggly must really like the pig, because he has a house in the nice "south of Broad" area not too far from the battery - complete with two stone pigs in the front. You can't miss it. I tried to find a picture online, but couldn't.

I believe this is the house you're thinking of Greenville. I took this in 2004. If you look closely, you can see the pigs in the front yard. Somewhere I have close-ups of the pigs, but not on this computer.

PigglyWiggly.jpg

^ I like that this house is flying what looks to be the Gadsden flag :thumbsup:

The Hoggly Woggly is mostly a rural town store around here. I have never had a problem with them. I do admit that they seem odd as an urban grocery store.

Articles:

** Furman's new Hollingsworth scholarships

** BJU evicts Starbucks from campus over their support of gay issues and distribution of a gay-related quote on one of it' cups.

** Warehouse Theater has new president, who is committed to keeping the theater open

** Water service may be a tool to steer development in the county

** Nathanael Greene statute coming to Main & Broad

** Transportation Board will set price for RR line

** Riverplace bridge condemnation trial

** Newcomer's impressions of Gville

TBA:

* Because the new stadium will be ready in time, the Drive will not re-lease Mauldin Rd Municipal Stadium

* By the end of March, new "wayfinder" signs wil go up for Cleveland Park, BiLo Center, Peace Center, etc

* The planed Biltmore affordable housing project in Haynie-Sirrine has fallen by the wayside, but a new group of builders has stepped up with a new idea for the site.

* Expect to hear news about the Shoeless Joe museum.

* Orders Distribution is talking with a Canadian company about selling. This is preliminary, but something could be announced in May.

**City Council approves leasing 5,020 sq. ft to artist in the River St. garage (Riverplace)

**City will donate $150k each to BJU museum and Imagine Nation.

** City annexs 9.4 acre site of Harley Davidson between Garlington and I-85

** BJU evicts Starbucks from campus over their support of gay issues and distribution of a gay-related quote on one of its cups.

Isn't there something in the Holy Bible that restricts consumption of caffeine anyway? If not, there should be. :rofl:

Give me a break. I didn't know there was a Starbucks on their campus anyway, but had I known, I may actually have considered taking a stroll around the campus.

Archived