New Titans Stadium (60,000 capacity dome, ground level retail, directly east of Nissan Stadium)

markhollin

If we are being honest, the Titans own none of this land so unless they are ground leasing additional land from the Sports Authority in order to build property, they are proposing things that they would then be turning around to help finance but I would not suspect build/develop themselves.

34 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

If we are being honest, the Titans own none of this land so unless they are ground leasing additional land from the Sports Authority in order to build property, they are proposing things that they would then be turning around to help finance but I would not suspect build/develop themselves.

Yeah, to me this proposal is a non starter. If state wants a new stadium they need to contribute far more money. 

This feels like the beginning of a contentious fight.

Edited by samsonh

I wonder how much of this columnists thoughts on the situation are true…that the Titans would have been ok with just updating the current stadium…but it’s the city and state that really wants the domed stadium.  Of course, that’s not to say the Titans wouldn’t love to have a new, shiny stadium…but I doubt they want their own “share” of the cost to go up.  

I have a feeling when the state, city and Titans all place their pennies on the table, they’re going to be at least 50% short of what it will actually cost.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2022/03/29/tennessee-titans-stadium-roof-mayor-john-cooper/7159521001/

So this is how a sure-to-be-controversial stadium project has progressed quickly from what the Titans need to what the city appears to want. I figure it'll probably get built quickly, too, because our city is developing some expensive tastes when it comes to larger events and experiences.

The Titans were actually opposed to the idea of trying to add a roof or covering seats onto the existing Nissan Stadium, because it wasn’t feasible or worth the cost to the franchise. That was the old stadium. Now that talks have switched to a new stadium, the Titans aren’t against a roof. It just hasn’t been their priority.

A good problem, but costly

At this point, the Titans shouldn't have many complaints. The wheels of government have been spinning remarkably fast on their behalf. The team appears to be well on its way toward getting what it wants in terms of a wonderful place to play. Which  matters for a franchise that once left Houston in large part because of the lack of a new stadium for Bud Adams, the late father of Amy Adams Strunk.

But it’s also kind of like the Titans are sitting at a fancy restaurant watching others at their table keep ordering more expensive champagne, knowing that when the bill comes, everyone wants to split it up equally and they haven't drunk any of it.

They didn't ask for a roof. They didn't go into this even wanting a new stadium.

• Like 1

So we now are seeing $500 million from the state (but only for a new, domed stadium). Looking at the price model of $7,500/seat and estimate of around 65,000 seats (precedent below shows a larger facility with smaller capacity), we should look at around $487.5 million in revenue bonds from the city.

By comparison, here is a stadium (new Buffalo Bills) that has a very tricky financing scheme worked out, is at least somewhat designed, and they are aiming for a 2026 opening. I just do not see a new NFL stadium at the beginning of the process being ready for the 2026 World Cup, so that should not be a driving force for a new stadium. Also this is an open-air stadium and is costing about 1.4 billion, with the cost of steel and the fact that this stadium in not in an urban setting I can very easily see hitting $2 billion. That would leave the Titans looking for around $1 billion from themselves to build.

image.thumb.png.11abff0ec70bd421528fe27d12e11819.png

With all the talk about revenue bonds and special tax districts and yada yada yada, I pray to god the state/local government (ie taxpayers) are on the hook for 60% of the stadium cost. We did not have to create a new tax district for the soccer stadium, so in my mind we should not have to do that for an NFL stadium. The building should be self sufficient – in that the tenants/occupants pay for the structure – and not need so much money being funneled away from the local government. Clearly Nashville needs money in the coffers because clearly they need to invest in more essential things such emergency responders, teachers, etc.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, titanhog said:

I wonder how much of this columnists thoughts on the situation are true…that the Titans would have been ok with just updating the current stadium…but it’s the city and state that really wants the domed stadium.  Of course, that’s not to say the Titans wouldn’t love to have a new, shiny stadium…but I doubt they want their own “share” of the cost to go up.  

I have a feeling when the state, city and Titans all place their pennies on the table, they’re going to be at least 50% short of what it will actually cost.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2022/03/29/tennessee-titans-stadium-roof-mayor-john-cooper/7159521001/

So this is how a sure-to-be-controversial stadium project has progressed quickly from what the Titans need to what the city appears to want. I figure it'll probably get built quickly, too, because our city is developing some expensive tastes when it comes to larger events and experiences.

The Titans were actually opposed to the idea of trying to add a roof or covering seats onto the existing Nissan Stadium, because it wasn’t feasible or worth the cost to the franchise. That was the old stadium. Now that talks have switched to a new stadium, the Titans aren’t against a roof. It just hasn’t been their priority.

A good problem, but costly

At this point, the Titans shouldn't have many complaints. The wheels of government have been spinning remarkably fast on their behalf. The team appears to be well on its way toward getting what it wants in terms of a wonderful place to play. Which  matters for a franchise that once left Houston in large part because of the lack of a new stadium for Bud Adams, the late father of Amy Adams Strunk.

But it’s also kind of like the Titans are sitting at a fancy restaurant watching others at their table keep ordering more expensive champagne, knowing that when the bill comes, everyone wants to split it up equally and they haven't drunk any of it.

They didn't ask for a roof. They didn't go into this even wanting a new stadium.

Yeah, ok, whatever.  Really kind of this Tennessean writer to regurgitate the talking points that Titans lobbyist James Weaver told him....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Thrill said:

I think it's extremely lame that they're planning to make this a dome. Retractable roofs or partial roofs are way better. Players should be playing in the elements. The Bills of all teams are building another outdoor stadium because they get it!

I’m starting to believe, that the State and City are behind this more then the Titans. Yeah sure they have a bunch to gain, but they are just tenants. I’m seeing that there’s a bigger picture, and both the State and City have their eyes on a bigger prize. Take a moment and listen to what’s being said by the Governor and City officials, they are betting on the other big catches the likes of Amazon &Oracle etc. its a selling point that the corporate elite see as a progressive city. 

Bet Oracle doesn’t want that old stadium, next to their shiny new campus. And the future of the East Bank will probably be lined with fortune 100 companies coming in on the heels of these two major players

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Well I’m not 100% convinced, seems as some have committed to blame the Titans for this no matter what comes about. Don’t know why, but I’m sure you all have your reasons, and that’s perfectly fine. I’m just electing to keep a open mind, and let it all play out. As I said before, this is going to happen if we like it or not , the writing is on the wall .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Luvemtall said:

Well I’m not 100% convinced, seems as some have committed to blame the Titans for this no matter what comes about. Don’t know why, but I’m sure you all have your reasons, and that’s perfectly fine. I’m just electing to keep a open mind, and let it all play out. As I said before, this is going to happen if we like it or not , the writing is on the wall .

If you don't think Gov. Lee put the contingency of needing to have a dome for state funding specifically because James Weaver asked him to in order to put the screws to Metro while at the same time  the Titans tell naive columnists "Why gee golly gus, look at what these folks just decided to give to us even though we never could have imagined it!" ,   well, you don't know James Weaver......

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Melrose said:

If you don't think Gov. Lee put the contingency of needing to have a dome for state funding specifically because James Weaver asked him to in order to put the screws to Metro while at the same time  the Titans tell naive columnists "Why gee golly gus, look at what these folks just decided to give to us even though we never could have imagined it!" ,   well, you don't know James Weaver......

Sounds pretty shrewd tbh

• Haha 1

I understand all the comments, and I'm somewhat agnostic. It floors me that Nissan stadium is "outdated" and "needs extensive repairs".  The price tag is simply jaw-dropping to me; and then I look at what it's costing me to get landscaping in my backyard this spring (compared to the quotes I had 2 years ago ... up 40%!!!!!).  I do think the perspective from Governor Lee is that a domed/retractable roof stadium will not limit the stadium's use to football, and the current limited concert and occasional event usage. Aside from the very big (and rare) events like Super Bowl, Final Four, and national conventions, I believe what Lee and other elected officials would try to do is get the usage of the stadium up from (IDK) 40 or so events a year, and treble that as a stretch.  Only a few cities would even be able to imagine having such a large stadium being used 120 (a third of the year) days, and they're all very large cities... with a few exceptions.  It seems that Governor Lee and (maybe) Mayor Cooper believe Nashville can reach that with the right sized ALL WEATHER facility.  I have not heard anything from Mayor Cooper. And I don't believe the lip service from Titans' management. Yet, I can't blame them for going with the flow. I mentioned a month ago on this thread that I thought the deal was already agreed to, and the big thing remaining was to sell it to the public. I think the Titans' management are playing this extremely smart. They've seen the "food" fights that have erupted over teams demanding new stadia "or else".  They did it in Houston. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, natethegreat said:

Sounds pretty shrewd tbh

Not saying it's not, was only saying it to disabuse of the notion that the Titans don't know exactly what they are doing-   suck up as much government cash as their lobbyists can get their hands on, while committing to the least amount of any community benefits which take space away from amenities/businesses that make them even more cash.    

• Like 2