1010 Church Street (60 story/750', 500 unit residential tower, 7 story/60,000 sq. ft. YMCA addition), $350 million

markhollin

1 hour ago, andywildman said:

Also is 1010 Church the final name? It's a fun callback to 505 but feels a little uninspired for a new tallest.

Agree, so maybe if he’s never going to build them, he can use one of their names. Signature or Paramount, what would you all pick?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andywildman said:

Man I love forums. Social media just doesn't deliver the years-long popcorn-ready back-and-forth that forums do. 🍿

Also is 1010 Church the final name? It's a fun callback to 505 but feels a little uninspired for a new tallest.

I tend to agree.

It should have looked like the Demonbreun Hill building. Not one complaint on the forum about that building. And I can see why. The Demonbreun Hill building looks Va Va Va Voom!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andywildman said:

Man I love forums. Social media just doesn't deliver the years-long popcorn-ready back-and-forth that forums do. 🍿

Are you suggesting “The New Tallest @ 1010 Church?”

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 8:41 PM, UTgrad09 said:

Then when beotchslapped with the reality that a massive construction loan has been issued, you still contend that the construction process has been "slow walked." 

Are we supposed to believe that Tony excavated the foundation of a 60-story tower without any financing in place?  I tend to give the guy a lot more credit than that. 

You observation that I don't know is obvious.  It's called speculation, and in case you haven't noticed, everybody on this forum engages in speculation on a daily basis.

My "grasping at straws" comment that annoyed you was directed towards the couple of posts asserting that the foundation holes were re-filled with gravel in an effort to stabilize the ground before the foundation was poured.  This is obviously not the case and everyone else was just letting that narrative slide because nobody wanted to speculate that there could be a real delay with the project.  In a way, we all got beotchslapped by the news that Tony only now secured financing because the fact that this tower previously had *no financing* was not part of the forum narrative.  And by the way... nothing about the news of financing being secured invalidates any of the speculation that I made.  It's entirely possible for everything I guessed at to be 100% accurate and Tony's team still managed to secure financing in spite of the many challenges I outlined - and I'm glad they did!

In conclusion, if your only contribution is to say that I don't know anything, then I say "guilty as charged".  Will that stop me from speculating?  No.  Am I troubled by the news that you don't respect my opinion?  No.  If this forum was based on the idea that you never post anything unless you know it for sure and everyone respects your opinion, this would be a barren, empty wasteland of a forum. 

On 4/7/2024 at 8:32 AM, smeagolsfree said:

Armicing, if you will drag you rear end to the meets like you used to do from the outer dwarf planet of Sedna years ago you would at least get into the conversation. I did you a favor by getting you unbanned and reinstated onto the board so at least show some respect please.

Also, Kevin, please play nice.

I would but the cost of coming into the inner solar system has gone up due to inflation! :D 

Have you figured out what was wrong with the settings on the forum?  I remember you were trying to get my old Kheldane account un-banned but you had to ask Neo about something, I think.

Whatever happened to RuralKing anyway?  That guy was fun to talk to, although admittedly, the "fun" aspect may have been one-sided on my part.  Personal observation:  I think the level of intellectual discourse on urban planet has advanced dramatically since those days.  Personally, I have a lot of respect for the posters on this forum because they are a smart group of people who are not afraid to discuss complex subjects, and I would like to especially recognize ruraljuror, samsonh, and Bos2Nash in particular... I always enjoy hearing their opinions...I wish they had been around back during the early 2000's to add their commentary to the dialogue happening at that time.  I give credit where credit is due: even UTgrad09's comment was a well-placed jab at my shadow-hold comment... No offence taken on my part.

Now, back to our regular fare of benign commentary... Here, I'll get us started:

New tallest tower!  Can't wait for this baby to start rising out of the ground...  Tony does it again!  This will make up for the Signature tower debacle, and I hope it encourages him to reach even higher... right up to the 750 foot FAA limit.  Minimal parking associated with this tower!  Will there be street-level retail?  How will this tower activate the northwest corner of Church and Platform Way?  I wish this tower had a spire!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Armacing said:

New tallest tower!  Can't wait for this baby to start rising out of the ground...  Tony does it again!  This will make up for the Signature tower debacle, and I hope it encourages him to reach even higher... right up to the 750 foot FAA limit.  Minimal parking associated with this tower!  Will there be street-level retail?  How will this tower activate the northwest corner of Church and Platform Way?  I wish this tower had a spire!

First and foremost, nothing will make up for losing out on Siggy! Secondly this tower is going to that 750’ FAA recommendation. And yes I agree this bad boy needs a spire!! 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Armacing said:

Are we supposed to believe that Tony excavated the foundation of a 60-story tower without any financing in place?  I tend to give the guy a lot more credit than that. 

You observation that I don't know is obvious.  It's called speculation, and in case you haven't noticed, everybody on this forum engages in speculation on a daily basis.

My "grasping at straws" comment that annoyed you was directed towards the couple of posts asserting that the foundation holes were re-filled with gravel in an effort to stabilize the ground before the foundation was poured.  This is obviously not the case and everyone else was just letting that narrative slide because nobody wanted to speculate that there could be a real delay with the project.  In a way, we all got beotchslapped by the news that Tony only now secured financing because the fact that this tower previously had *no financing* was not part of the forum narrative.  And by the way... nothing about the news of financing being secured invalidates any of the speculation that I made.  It's entirely possible for everything I guessed at to be 100% accurate and Tony's team still managed to secure financing in spite of the many challenges I outlined - and I'm glad they did!

In conclusion, if your only contribution is to say that I don't know anything, then I say "guilty as charged".  Will that stop me from speculating?  No.  Am I troubled by the news that you don't respect my opinion?  No.  If this forum was based on the idea that you never post anything unless you know it for sure and everyone respects your opinion, this would be a barren, empty wasteland of a forum. 

That's neat.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Armacing said:

I would but the cost of coming into the inner solar system has gone up due to inflation! :D 

Have you figured out what was wrong with the settings on the forum?  I remember you were trying to get my old Kheldane account un-banned but you had to ask Neo about something, I think.

Whatever happened to RuralKing anyway?  That guy was fun to talk to, although admittedly, the "fun" aspect may have been one-sided on my part.  Personal observation:  I think the level of intellectual discourse on urban planet has advanced dramatically since those days.  Personally, I have a lot of respect for the posters on this forum because they are a smart group of people who are not afraid to discuss complex subjects, and I would like to especially recognize ruraljuror, samsonh, and Bos2Nash in particular... I always enjoy hearing their opinions...I wish they had been around back during the early 2000's to add their commentary to the dialogue happening at that time.  I give credit where credit is due: even UTgrad09's comment was a well-placed jab at my shadow-hold comment... No offence taken on my part.

Now, back to our regular fare of benign commentary... Here, I'll get us started:

I tried to reach out to Rural King a while back with no results. I guess he has gone on to other things.

On 4/12/2024 at 12:47 PM, Luvemtall said:

First and foremost, nothing will make up for losing out on Siggy! Secondly this tower is going to that 750’ FAA recommendation. And yes I agree this bad boy needs a spire!! 

So I just learned something, motivated after reading here. All the 35 years I've been in Houston I presumed that the FAA had regulatory power over building height, because of the drama around 600 Travis that Hines built in the early '80's. Legend has it (I was in Austin at the time), much to the disappointment of local enthusiasts, the developer was forced by someone (many presume the FAA) to reduce the floor count from 80 to 75, and now  someone is building in Austin what will be the tallest in Texas, talk about being slapped here. The problem is the closeness of Hobby airport to downtown, 7 miles. And it is not because there is a mean flight path over downtown either, apparently Hobby associated trajectories over downtown are pretty rare according to what I just read (and contrary to what I assumed for decades). BTW Hobby opened in '27 as a private airfield and was bought by the city in '37.

Apparently the FAA, not a regulator of this, nevertheless has power over this because they can officially declare a structure as an aviation hazard, and of course the insurability would be hugely impacted. In the case of 600 Travis the city refused to permit (yes non-zoning has nothing to do with other city powers here) the original design height of the building due to FAA recommendations. So when you get down to it, the FAA can giveth as it taketh away and maybe a taller structure can be planned here someday for downtown, same for Nashville. Below is a thread where people here were hashing out the issue:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/topic/31924-height-restrictions-for-downtown/

Edited by dragonfly
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

From what I remember of the plans it’s 6 levels. Can’t remember if the basement level with the pool makes it 7? There is an indoor basketball court on one of the levels. There is also an outdoor roof top yoga type space. As other people said, gyms have tall ceilings. The open free weight area of the current structure is very tall. 

• Like 2