Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

22 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

They have this huge slab of concrete fronting the corner that would allow for an incredible extension to be build that would do wonders for the intersection, not to mention help blunt the impact of that terrible Family Dollar building. Everyone will just have to hold their breath until we see what crazy restrictions the HPC will demand to make this look as terrible as they can.

The best thing that could happen here would be for an errant meteor to careen into the building and flatten it.  There are times when historic preservation concerns itself with preserving that which is not worth of preserving because of a rather misguided notion that everything old is significant and must be saved.  The best solution may be to fly in a nationally respected preservation pro who can make a cogent, convincing, and authoritative argument that the gas station does not really contribute to the historic fabric, or that even if it is, demolishing it will not negatively impact the fabric of the district, and is necessary for the community improvement.  But it's an uphill battle.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two things.  

The new construction at Michigan & Eastern has a brewery coming.  This looks pretty legit.

Elk Brewing is expanding to another space near the ballpark.  This is Facebook quality info.  I could see it being a production facility but I doubt two separate locations.  Maybe a move?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elcelc said:

Elk Brewing is expanding to another space near the ballpark.  This is Facebook quality info.  I could see it being a production facility but I doubt two separate locations.  Maybe a move?

Whoa! That is news. I knew they were doing well with hopes for expanding but I can't see them moving. I'll have to do some sleuthing.

5 hours ago, elcelc said:

Two things.  

The new construction at Michigan & Eastern has a brewery coming.  This looks pretty legit.

I heard the Foundation footings were just poured yesterday.  It will house brewing systems and also a taproom.  Still waiting to hear the exact location but I'm sure a drive would give me the answer.  Interesting move, creating a second location.  I just wish michigan would change the laws to allow brewpubs to distribute.

Another Hopcat in Kentucky, this one in Loiusville. Makes 8 Hopcat locations now I believe, with 25 more to come (according to the article).

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2016/01/hopcat_expansion_continues_wit.html

I have a feeling we're going to read that Anna's House will go national soon too.

On 8/16/2015 at 8:44 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

Latest photos of the new butcher shop. Exterior bricks have been cleaned up and the ugly boards from the front have been fully removed.

WP_20150814_09_42_52_Pro.thumb.jpg.97810

Looks like they opened last week- http://www.therapidian.org/placematters-new-butcher-shop-opens-wealthy-street-baxter-east-hills-neighborhoods

7 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

Nice, anyone know where?? From pictures my guess is it's somewhere off of Broadmoor.

Appears to be in this little industrial complex off East Paris:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/29th+St+SE,+Grand+Rapids,+MI/@42.8910779,-85.5662898,233a,20y,41.6t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x88184d3c2180914b:0x3784a67067613690

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Nice sleuthing.  So that makes ten breweries in planning that I know of, one meadery, one new cidery and one relocating cidery.

3 hours ago, jdkacz said:

Make it 11. Just read that there is one opening in Cascade pending their approval from the state.

Yup, I counted that one.  It's quite possible I'm missing some though.  Ones I know of in various stages of progress:

Atwater
Blue Sky (dba)
City Built
Creston
Greyline Brewing
High Five Co-op Brewery
New Holland
Red Belly
Speciation
Sway

24 minutes ago, elcelc said:

Yup, I counted that one.  It's quite possible I'm missing some though.  Ones I know of in various stages of progress:

Atwater
Blue Sky (dba)
City Built
Creston
Greyline Brewing
High Five Co-op Brewery
New Holland
Red Belly
Speciation
Sway

Which one will be at Eastern & Michigan?

45 minutes ago, elcelc said:

Atwater
Blue Sky (dba)
City Built
Creston
Greyline Brewing
High Five Co-op Brewery
New Holland
Red Belly
Speciation
Sway

Where are Speciation and Sway going? I don't think I've heard of Blue Sky and Greyline either. 

4 hours ago, elcelc said:

Nice sleuthing.  So that makes ten breweries in planning that I know of, one meadery, one new cidery and one relocating cidery.

Something in one of their pictures gave it away (for me anyway). Then it was just a matter of finding that industrial building in that vicinity.