Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

I like the idea, however, I do not know anything about architecture. I do know beer and its incredible the cluster of world class breweries that are contained in metro GR(going to include Kzoo/BC to include Arcadia and Bells).

Brewery Vivant had a beer only release a couple of weeks ago and the guys had made the trip over for Brewery Vivant and Perrin). I think we need to strike while the iron is out and craft beer is a surging market but what kind of legs does that have? 5-10 years? Can we anchor ourselves in such a way that we are the Napa Valley of beer?

People come from around the world for Founders KBS release to experience their possibly only chance at KBS on draft

If architecture would bring tourists from Detroit for a Saturday then let's build that up, I just have no idea on how to sell that compared to experiences with beer.

I like the idea, however, I do not know anything about architecture. I do know beer and its incredible the cluster of world class breweries that are contained in metro GR(going to include Kzoo/BC to include Arcadia and Bells).

Brewery Vivant had a beer only release a couple of weeks ago and the guys had made the trip over for Brewery Vivant and Perrin). I think we need to strike while the iron is out and craft beer is a surging market but what kind of legs does that have? 5-10 years? Can we anchor ourselves in such a way that we are the Napa Valley of beer?

People come from around the world for Founders KBS release to experience their possibly only chance at KBS on draft

If architecture would bring tourists from Detroit for a Saturday then let's build that up, I just have no idea on how to sell that compared to experiences with beer.

The number of people who travel inter-regionally to do architecture tours is extremely small. To base an entire tourism industry on it, here in GR, is folly in my opinion. It does help that downtown GR is beginning to thrive and draw more residents and visitors (all of the hotels are seeing record occupancy), and that ON TOP OF THAT the downtown area has a very unique mix of old and new architecture. It's more like the icing on the cake than a main ingredient. 

People from outside this area are beginning to say that it's a great place to visit, to try the many brewery options, see some art, go to the big lake, etc.. If beer is a big part of that, bring it. 

Also the author mentions the return of the rapids, but you can't really market something that nobody has any idea will begin. "Come see the rapids in Grand Rapids!!! (some day)"

As far as older architecture, our stock is not really impressive at all.  We tore down our greatest ones 50-60 years ago.  The ones that remained have been simplified and cannibalized.  And as said earlier, it's a small tourist base, and impossible for us to compete with Chicago.

I think that people are just surprised that we actually have old buildings left, and a flatiron building! I say keep milking the beer thing until it runs out, which won't be for a while since there are a slew of new breweries opening and Harmony Hall is opening finally. 

I think that people are just surprised that we actually have old buildings left, and a flatiron building! I say keep milking the beer thing until it runs out, which won't be for a while since there are a slew of new breweries opening and Harmony Hall is opening finally. 

Has an opening date for Harmony Hall been set? I had houseguests from the Detroit area, visiting last weekend for ArtPrize that visit every few months and even they were dismayed about how long its taken for them to open.

I don't think "craft" beer is going anywhere, and I don't think it's a fad.  What I do think is there maybe and over proliferation of craft brewers.  As time goes on the weak and poorly crafted will go by the wayside.  Some others, as we are seeing, will be bought out by by larger conglomerates, and others will stay independent. I think craft beer in America is like the wine industry was in the 70's and 80's.  You didn't see that go away, and I think it continues to grow.

As for Grand Rapids architecture, I think a lot of out-of-towners are generally impressed with the amount of preserved 19th and early 20th century architecture downtown.  There is some pretty decent stuff IMO.  Does GR have anything that is off the charts amazing, maybe not.  I think GR learned a lesson from urban renewal, and does a pretty good job of preserving the past.  I can't say that I'm impressed with (some of what) the city has put up in the last 20 years however.   As we know some (including me) are now enjoying the mid century stuff built in the 50's and 60's, so who knows.

Edited by mpchicago

Has an opening date for Harmony Hall been set? I had houseguests from the Detroit area, visiting last weekend for ArtPrize that visit every few months and even they were dismayed about how long its taken for them to open.

They have a private soft opening for friends and family on the 5th, opening should be shortly after. 

Edited by GRDadof3

Here's a link to Michael Grass's original posting, which oddly was not provided in the GRBJ article.  I had to Google search for it.

http://www.routefifty.com/2015/09/grand-rapids-architecture/121769/

To be fair, the "Forget Beer" theme reads almost facetious, as if it's more a hook into the column.  Really, he just discusses what he likes about GR architecture.  My thoughts on the whole thing, though:

Regarding beer: I agree that craft beer is not a fad.  In every market in the United States, local beer is now as easily accessible as Bud Light.   Ergo I have no reason to ever buy Bud Light again.  There are fads within beer (e.g. like how currently it's trendy to brew IPA with so much hops I want to scrape my tongue with a trowel), but beer itself is here to stay.  And GR really has something special with its craft beer scene.  It's spread all over to different neighborhoods.  I do wish people would give the "Beer City USA" thing a rest, because it makes this all look manufactured and fake.  But it's not.  It's real.  It's unique.

Regarding architecture: Don't sell GR short.  I agree we don't have any landmark buildings that bring tourists in, but I don't think that's what Route Fifty is really getting at. I would argue that GR's architectural worth is not in the individual buildings, but in how historically intact it still is overall.  It's not just Heritage Hill, it's all over Eastown, the Westside, Creston, etc.  GR isn't perfect, and there are blemishes, but compared to other Midwestern cities its size, I just get this sense that GR still looks like it was designed to look 100 years ago**.  I don't get that elsewhere.  Though I admit I'm biased.  Anyone else feel that way?

Like Savannah or Charleston, GR was also preserved in its own way, and that can be marketable, which I think is what the Route Fifty post is really about.  Bottom line is that people visit Michigan for nature: Go fish, go hunt, go see the lake, etc.  So GR's position should be: Go relax in Michigan's natural beauty, then come to GR to have fun in our fun little town.

**minus the streetcars;)

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 1

Can't really see the front of it too well, but I think this has a chance of passing with a few changes.  Out of the gate, I see a few minor potential issues.  Those gigantic address label things are probably DOA, and the glass curtain wall facing the street might be an issue.  Can't make out enough to see how this design works, but it appears to have the "cornice" extending out over the air on top of columns with the building set back--tough sell.  I also can't tell what the brown stuff is -- is that brick, or is it 6-8" exposure fibercement?  If the latter, it might present issues.  I can't think of any buildings with brick on the bottom and a 6"+ exposure clapboard up top.  Brick buildings tended to be brick all the way up, with possibly some wood panels, metal, or cedar shingles.  Close call.  

I personally don't like the stepped back "penthouse" look at all.  That ought to be built right out to the street.  An HPC concern?  I don't know.  In "add on" construction you see that a lot because they don't want new construction on top of a historic building to be visible from the street.  It's a stupid idea, but it is what it is.  On new construction, that "logic" doesn't wash.  One story deviation from the surrounding buildings is not anything to get worked up about and is well within guidelines.  Fixing that would be a substantial revision of the plans, but well worth it.  Build a nice three story building and be proud of it.  Don't stack a wart on top.

By and large, they've done a better job than most and are at least starting to understand designing in historic districts.  Not all the way there by a long shot, but a far cry better than most of the other locals.  That I don't find a lot of complain about is a testament to Integrated's growing historic competency.  Now they just need a real artist with deep historic knowledge to work out decorative elements and brickwork that will add some real street-level pedestrian interest.

Edited by x99

Can't really see the front of it too well, but I think this has a chance of passing with a few changes.  Out of the gate, I see a few minor potential issues.  Those gigantic address label things are probably DOA, and the glass curtain wall facing the street might be an issue.  Can't make out enough to see how this design works, but it appears to have the "cornice" extending out over the air on top of columns with the building set back--tough sell.  I also can't tell what the brown stuff is -- is that brick, or is it 6-8" exposure fibercement?  If the latter, it might present issues.  I can't think of any buildings with brick on the bottom and a 6"+ exposure clapboard up top.  Brick buildings tended to be brick all the way up, with possibly some wood panels, metal, or cedar shingles.  Close call.  

I personally don't like the stepped back "penthouse" look at all.  That ought to be built right out to the street.  An HPC concern?  I don't know.  In "add on" construction you see that a lot because they don't want new construction on top of a historic building to be visible from the street.  It's a stupid idea, but it is what it is.  On new construction, that "logic" doesn't wash.  One story deviation from the surrounding buildings is not anything to get worked up about and is well within guidelines.  Fixing that would be a substantial revision of the plans, but well worth it.  Build a nice three story building and be proud of it.  Don't stack a wart on top.

By and large, they've done a better job than most and are at least starting to understand designing in historic districts.  Not all the way there by a long shot, but a far cry better than most of the other locals.  That I don't find a lot of complain about is a testament to Integrated's growing historic competency.  Now they just need a real artist with deep historic knowledge to work out decorative elements and brickwork that will add some real street-level pedestrian interest.

There are really only a few people in town that everyone now seems to be leaning on: Ted Lott, Mike Corby at Integrated and Jim Horman at PAE.  When I saw that URS was originally involved in this one, that was a head-scratcher. They're good at airports and large institutional boxes, IIRC.

The UICA wall is also constantly dripping onto the sidewalk below (I know this from experience—that sidewalk is part of my commute).

Yeah, I the UICA building seems to have parts that grow, and parts that are almost non-existent (maybe to much shade?). If I remember correctly, the vines growing on the parking structure at the Cathedral Square building grew like weeds as soon as they planted them. Don't know if they're still growing strong, but they definitely seemed to be planted in the right conditions. :)

Joe

Many buildings try these "green" mesh type walls.  UICA is one.  Also the Parking garage across from Z's.  Is it that hard to grow a vine on those surfaces.  They always look half dead and never take off.   What does it take to make these things grow.  I hope they figure it out.

You think it's a mesh wall with plants growing on it?  I wondered about it, but then thought, "Naw, no one could be crazy enough to try to pull that one off in a historic district."  If it is, I'll mark that element up in the DOA category, too. The columns could be a really good design element, though, if they pull off the wall behind them properly and get the columns right.  Growing half-dead plants on giant metal screen probably shouldn't be part of the equation.

Edited by x99

You think it's a mesh wall with plants growing on it?  I wondered about it, but then thought, "Naw, no one could be dumb enough to try to pull that one off in a historic district."  If it is, I'll mark that element up in the DOA category, too. The columns could be a really good design element, though, if they pull off the wall behind them properly and get the columns right.  Growing plants on giant metal screen shouldn't be part of the equation.

Yes, it is. That's what it says in the narrative.