Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

Good catch Regal. I bet the guy has never even been to Grand Rapids, or not spent much time here.

It should definitely be disclosed either at the very beginning of the article or at the end. Beginning preferably.

The worst part is MLive will probably pick it up, there'll be a big outcry, and a month from now we'll be filming another lip-dub video. <_<

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 1

I don't think anything will break until Orion gets their project on Wealthy (the former Mc Donalds), and the development across from Wealthy Bakery kick off.  Once that happens we are in for another big wave of new development along Wealthy.  Options are being signed and plans are being made.

I think there are new plans for 1059 Wealthy (the former McDonalds), same owner - but Orion is out.

The worst part is MLive will probably pick it up, there'll be a big outcry, and a month from now we'll be filming another lip-dub video. <_<

I actually commented on someone's post of the article, but quickly deleted it. I have a lot of media type folks in my FB feed (slowly purging them out). 

I didn't expect the franchising of this brand to explode like it has recently, also interesting to see Chris Knape working with Sellers' group.

They aren't franchising are they?  Franchising would imply they are selling rights for other entrepreneurs to operate their brand.  As I understand it they found a heavy hitting investor to allow them to grow the brand under a centralized umbrella.

No self-respecting retail would locate in a building with those god-awful boards tacked onto where actual windows should be.

If these guys are just trying to fill this place, hoping that the location alone will lure someone in, without at least making some major changes to the exterior face of the building like taking the wood off of the windows, then they should be ashamed of themselves.

No self-respecting retail would locate in a building with those god-awful boards tacked onto where actual windows should be.

If these guys are just trying to fill this place, hoping that the location alone will lure someone in, without at least making some major changes to the exterior face of the building like taking the wood off of the windows, then they should be ashamed of themselves.

I think you have to think about who is "spearheading" this development, and their track record. I think the Kingsley project will be a lot more impactful, and probably get finished first. 

Very nice! Amazing what just taking those stupid boards off of windows can do for street presence! Surprised the city hasn't outlawed the use of them.

Very interested to see what type of (public?) activity they plan on having in that front area if the rendering reflects their final plans.

Yes, looks great.  Their website indicates that both street level and 2nd floor will be offices.  I assume what we are seeing in the storefront is maybe their "lounge" or "cafe" for employees.  The owner says they have concerns about approval from the planning commission because zoning calls for retail on the first floor.  I somehow think this will get approved without much trouble. 1000% times better than what is there now, which is nothing.

They also host numerous meetups and mini-conferences—probably at least a couple every week. The lobby shown in the rendering would be large enough to host many of the smaller meetups, as well as serving as a welcome area for larger gatherings.

I will be interested to see how they structure their workspace. They were doing the open office plan when it was first becoming trendy—initially, they even discouraged headphone use because it was seen as anti-social. They seem to have relaxed somewhat, and it seems that the industry at large is starting to realize that putting a ton of people costing $100+/hour in close proximity probably isn't a good investment when their workflow often requires intense concentration. I think the trend will be toward more flexible spaces—the ability to choose between high-energy open spaces, smaller group meeting areas, and private spaces, depending on the particular task of the moment. I'm not sure how AO will go for this space—they tend to be near the front of many trends, but they do still favor a more extroverted environment (they're still the most religious pair-programming adherent in town).

Actually Madison Square Church acquired the former DHS building on the corner of Franklin and Eastern.  The church on the corner of Eastern and Wealthy is still owned by the church that worships there now.  I know nothing of the wild bunch moving on.  Sorry for being cryptic, guess that was not nice.  I don't think anything will break until Orion gets their project on Wealthy (the former Mc Donalds), and the development across from Wealthy Bakery kick off.  Once that happens we are in for another big wave of new development along Wealthy.  Options are being signed and plans are being made.

Are their concrete plans for the building across Wealthy Street Bakery?

Yes, looks great.  Their website indicates that both street level and 2nd floor will be offices.  I assume what we are seeing in the storefront is maybe their "lounge" or "cafe" for employees.  The owner says they have concerns about approval from the planning commission because zoning calls for retail on the first floor.  I somehow think this will get approved without much trouble. 1000% times better than what is there now, which is nothing.

I agree they should get approved. They (and Local First) are basically doing the same thing on the other block, using the ground floor as offices. I think that "active use" should qualify. Which is better, a retailer with no one shopping in it or an office space with people working in it? 

Are their concrete plans for the building across Wealthy Street Bakery?

I was wondering this too. That rehab should have been long ago completed. Yet here it is, untouched after all of the effort to get it out of the hands of people that made no effort to really fix the place up!

I hope this isnt another case of a developer that got in over his head, hopes that no one notices, and to then sell it off 4 years from now.

I was wondering this too. That rehab should have been long ago completed. Yet here it is, untouched after all of the effort to get it out of the hands of people that made no effort to really fix the place up!

I hope this isnt another case of a developer that got in over his head, hopes that no one notices, and to then sell it off 4 years from now.

This and the project that was supposed to go next to Grove are head scratchers. Interest rates are low, money is cheap, projects have been approved, what's the holdup? 

Edited by GRDadof3

This and the project that was supposed to go next to Grove are head scratchers. Interest rates are low, money is cheap, projects have been approved, what's the holdup? 

Especially the one next to Grove. They own the property, are building their own residence, and I thought the other units were spoken for. This one seemed like a slam dunk (and I like the design). 

Joe

The building at 1551/1555 Wealthy Street is going to become a mixed use project, 3 stories, 6 apartments, ground floor retail. I have no idea what's happening with the current tenants (Strider's, Jude's?, Papa Johns?) but I assume they'll go into the ground floor. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1551+wealthy+street+grand+rapids/@42.9555169,-85.6309201,3a,75y,29.72h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m4!1s7yAI5Zo0ABb8ZzCnNFDteg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x470c1d2a1d1ce78c!6m1!1e1

Saw it on the Engineering Department's agenda. 

The building at 1551/1555 Wealthy Street is going to become a mixed use project, 3 stories, 6 apartments, ground floor retail. I have no idea what's happening with the current tenants (Strider's, Jude's?, Papa Johns?) but I assume they'll go into the ground floor. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1551+wealthy+street+grand+rapids/@42.9555169,-85.6309201,3a,75y,29.72h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m4!1s7yAI5Zo0ABb8ZzCnNFDteg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x470c1d2a1d1ce78c!6m1!1e1

Saw it on the Engineering Department's agenda. 

Wow, that's interesting. While it is an ugly spot, they did a good job filling it after Blockbuster moved out (I believe 100% occupancy). Will be interesting to see where Strider's, Spoonlickers, Jude's and Papa Johns move...

Joe

Enough with the beer

I tend to agree with the sentiment. The beer selection is great but there's more to the city than that. But architecture? Definitely Heritage Hill is an extremely unique collection of residential architecture styles. But are we really that unique for commercial architecture? GRAM, VAI and HDVCH are cool and noteworthy but a lot of the new stuff is rather hum drum. A lot of the older historic facades are very nice but any moreso than your typical Midwestern downtown? 

I would also add that the use/overuse of the Beer City USA moniker is an effort to counteract the "overly conservative" perception of Grand Rapids/WM. "A city known for its beer culture can't possibly be overly conservative." 

Of course having the world's largest quilting convention kind of neutralizes any of that message. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by GRDadof3

This has been a concern for me for a while that we are too dependent on beer tourism, but I've always brushed it off because they all seem to be doing well, and they really aren't cannibalizing each others business since they operate in different parts of town, and have their own unique vibe. Any given evening in E. Hills will reveal cars with plates from all over the nation coming here for the beer at Brewery Vivant, so it hasnt gone sour yet.

Unfortunately the article seems to imply that we could be some sort of Mecca for architecture tourism as a way to "grow" past just beer tourism. THAT was a facepalm notion if ever there was one.

“Grand Rapids is home to one of the largest historic districts in the United States. Heritage Hill, east of downtown, is home to a truly wonderful collection of residential architecture, including Greek Revival, Queen Anne, Italianate, Tudor, Craftsman bungalows and Prairie styles. There are around 1,300 structures in the district, according to the Heritage Hill Association, which sponsors an annual home tour. Even if you’ve explored the neighborhood previously, there are always new homes to discover.”

So? As nice as the hill is, it isnt the only place in America with old buildings (some larger cities even have better ones). Most are unremarkable and only just happen to be in the borders of the district, and all except a handful aren't even open to the public. People are not passionate enough to travel to GR to trudge around just to look at a house for 5 minutes. If HH was bordered on the North, SW, south, and SE with a safe, vibrant, walkable, and active retail districts, then the area will become far more visited by sheer virtue that it is a natural thruway between these more desirable destinations.

And I've never heard of people coming to see green buildings as a thing to do either. Again, there are better ones in bigger cities to go see. Give me a choice of Chicago, Amsterdam (or most cities in the Netherlands), Seattle, or Grand Rapids, and I would wonder what was the person smoking that gave me GR as a choice. We simply dont have anything that great in terms of architecture going on. Maybe in Michigan as a whole, but that isnt enough to hope to use our buildings as a draw.

But I do agree that GR needs to branch-out from just Beer as it is a fad ultimately. We are on borrowed time as any city can become the next "cool" spot. I hope we can really see some more intense development with more mainstream attractions, so that when that day comes when craft beer falls out a favor, we will have a more complete city to fall back on.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 2